• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Released Frigate "Rossiya", 1728

OT, but what kind of computers were around in 2003? I was using a 1.3ghz cpu, 1gb ram, Geforce 3 rig and it ran the stock game fine. It would have no hope with the Mod.

I will wait for the patch before sailing this excellent ship Armada.

UPDATE 23/11/12: The model is now finished; version 1.1 is available for PotC here: Rossiya_v1.1.7z
- V1.1 includes some minor fixes and tweaks for the hull, plus a walk file and French paint scheme.
(CoAS version coming soon)

I think that he has made a few minor changes since then.

Edit: Any plans for the next vessel to tackle? Too early?

OT, but what kind of computers were around in 2003? I was using a 1.3ghz cpu, 1gb ram, Geforce 3 rig and it ran the stock game fine. It would have no hope with the Mod.

I was trying to avoid going there ...but since you asked ... Intel's top of the line just before POTC was released was a Pentium 4, probably around 2.4 ghz. AMD had the first Athlon's around the same clock speed, later in 2003 they released the Athlon 64. Nvidai's top of the line was Geforce 4 followed closely by GeforceFX, ATI had Radeon 9500, 9200 and 9250 and maybe X300-X600, not sure of the exact dates or speeds though. DDR2 was released in 2003, but I think most systems at the the time the game was being developed were still using DDR or even DIMM's. 2 gig was standard, 4 was awesome. LCD's were just starting to catch on, but most people still had CRT's because of price; and of course, everything was limited by Microsoft's crappy virtual memory handling in XP.

Awsome ship there. Where's the link?
Keep an eye on the first post of this thread for the most up-to-date files. ;)

In other news, here's how the Dutch version is currently looking. Hopefully you'll agree the resemblance to the old texture is somewhat clear...

NL_Frigate47_1.jpg

NL_Frigate47_2.jpg

Edit: Any plans for the next vessel to tackle? Too early?
It's a bit early yet. Next thing to do is get this ship into the UDK. I'll probably be on repair duty for various models in the Build Mod as well. :rolleyes:
One thing's for sure: the next ship I take on to this level will be with Hearts of Oak in mind right from the start. I'm open to suggestions.

Indeed I do see the likeness to the old one. And I think I can see where you were inspired by the Amsterdam: the bars between the stern windows look very familiar.
I am thinking though that the green on her might be a tad too dark compared to the old version. Of course different Dutch ships use different shades of green and yellow:
VOC_Amsterdam.jpg

Batavia1.jpg
I think the Amsterdam might technically be a bit too brightly coloured, with the Batavia looking more realistic.
Maybe you can experiment a bit to end up with something inbetween?

Since this was originally Thomas the Terror's skin, I'd definitely want to see his thoughts too.

It's a bit early yet. Next thing to do is get this ship into the UDK. I'll probably be on repair duty for various models in the Build Mod as well. :rolleyes:
One thing's for sure: the next ship I take on to this level will be with Hearts of Oak in mind right from the start. I'm open to suggestions.

In that case, you might want to take a look at Bellona. With two different versions, she'd work for 1760-1815.

Indeed I do see the likeness to the old one. And I think I can see where you were inspired by the Amsterdam: the bars between the stern windows look very familiar.
I am thinking though that the green on her might be a tad too dark compared to the old version. Of course different Dutch ships use different shades of green and yellow
Yep, I needed to fill some gaps, so those bars did the trick nicely. :cheeky
I see what you mean about the shade of green. It does seem a bit dark now that you mention it. We'll see what Thomas thinks, and I'll make any changes tomorrow.

In that case, you might want to take a look at Bellona. With two different versions, she'd work for 1760-1815.
Well that ship certainly has my interest. We already have a model to work from, which would speed things up considerably. Plus that fact that it's well known and documented, as opposed to some obscure Russian frigate that no-one's ever heard of, so finding references wouldn't be a problem. :wp

I'm just wondering if a smaller vessel would be more appropriate, thinking in gameplay terms, though I guess Captain Armstrong, SeaNorris and Philipjn already have most of those covered.

EDIT: Oh, I almost forgot. After the Dutch texture, the remaining frigates to replace are Frigate2, PiratFrigateSup and SP_Frigate. The highest priority would probably be the pirate version, as Frigate2 is generic, but I'm not entirely sure what to do about the Spanish version. I can't think of an authentic paint scheme I could apply to that. Do we even need a Spanish version, anyway? Or should we make the default texture available to Spain as well as England (and possibly Portugal)?

I'm just wondering if a smaller vessel would be more appropriate, thinking in gameplay terms, though I guess Captain Armstrong, SeaNorris and Philipjn already have most of those covered.
I think SeaNorris's small armada has most of the essential small stuff covered, excluding a ketch. (I think) Between him and Philipjn, we have a very good spread of high quality mid-time period vessels. Captain Armstrong has a good representation of a few of the smaller Napoleonic vessels too.

Anyway, for the storyline I'm currently working on, I'm thinking of a Seven Year's War setting, right in the middle of our beginning time period, and Bellona would definitely help. Any thoughts on that?

I'll reserve judgement on your storyline idea for the proper thread, but I can see where the Bellona would fit in there very nicely.
I'd love to work on the ship in any case, especially depicting her when she was brand new. Working on a larger scale will be more challenging, but I like a challenge! :aar
A good starting point might be for you to check over the existing model at some point, and identify what could be improved (in a new thread, ideally).

I'll do that when I install the next version of the Build Mod, then. No use scurrying around trying to find one without the console in CoAS.

I like the Green.
Too light? Too dark? The game will also change the final result to the human eye, depending on the time of Day the green will differ as well.

and i like that "Bellona" sound...
getting ready to become GLUED in front of the monitor.

EDIT: Oh, I almost forgot. After the Dutch texture, the remaining frigates to replace are Frigate2, PiratFrigateSup and SP_Frigate. The highest priority would probably be the pirate version, as Frigate2 is generic, but I'm not entirely sure what to do about the Spanish version. I can't think of an authentic paint scheme I could apply to that. Do we even need a Spanish version, anyway? Or should we make the default texture available to Spain as well as England (and possibly Portugal)?
Your new French texture is really quite different from the old one. Could you make something similar to the old red-and-black one too? We could use that for Spain.
After all, the French and the Spanish both used that. At least based on the Hornblower movies. Maybe not 100% accurate that way, but for gameplay purposes...?

I like the Green.
Too light? Too dark? The game will also change the final result to the human eye, depending on the time of Day the green will differ as well.
Very true about the game lighting affecting it. Here's a screenshot showing the ship on a clear day:
Rossiya_NL1.jpg

Your new French texture is really quite different from the old one. Could you make something similar to the old red-and-black one too? We could use that for Spain.
After all, the French and the Spanish both used that. At least based on the Hornblower movies. Maybe not 100% accurate that way, but for gameplay purposes...?
The new French texture is more appropriate for a ship of the mid 18th century. The red and black stripes are more associated with the Napoleonic era, as with the yellow and black Nelson checker.
For that reason, I'm inclined to steer clear of a red/black scheme, except for the pirate version. The only solution I could think of is something like FR_Fleuron, which looks like the Dutch texture with the green swapped for red, which would at least look very distinctive.

See...
However you paint it green, it is going to be WRONG!!!!!
WROOONG!
never the way you want it.
WROOONG!
never the way it is seen on Photoes.
WROOOONG!

...but its still sexy as hell.

So... keep screwing up the paintjobs, i love them.
:))

Dutch colour scheme is pretty dark in the game too...

Anyway, for the Spanish scheme, do what you want.

OK, I've lightened the green and now added figureheads to all variants. The current ones are based on a Dutch figurehead I modified from NL_ConvoiShip, and are repainted gold/yellow for the default and French versions. They're attached via locators, so I'm going to add a different figurehead for the pirate and Frigate2 versions, which can be swapped between the models as desired.
Consider that a trial run for Hearts of Oak. :D

Rossiya_NL3.jpg Rossiya_NL2.jpg

Just finished the pirate version, which I made sure to add some clear weathering effects to. Also gave this variant a repainted mermaid figurehead, which I modified from the one used for NL_Batavia.

Rossiya_pirate1.jpg Rossiya_pirate2.jpg

Back