1. Dismiss Notice
  2. GOG.com logo

Thanks to YOUR votes, GOG.com now sells:
    - Sea Dogs - Sea Dogs: Caribbean Tales
    - Sea Dogs: City of Abandoned Ships

Vote now to add Pirates of the Caribbean to the list!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Under the Crossbones Podcast

A Pirate Podcast with Interviews
    Music, Comedy and all things Pirate!

- Episode Guide - About - Subscribe -
    - Twitter - Facebook - iTunes - Android -
    - Youtube - Fill the Coffers -

Dismiss Notice
  4. New Horizons logo

Quick links for PotC: New Horizons
    - Download latest version
    - Wiki - FAQ - Report bugs here
    - ModDB profile

5. GOF logo

Quick links for AoP2: Gentlemen of Fortune 2
    - Downloads and info
    - Historical Immersion Supermod
    - ModDB Profile

Dismiss Notice
New to the forum?
Please take a moment to read our Welcome Message and Forum Rules.

Released Frigate "Rossiya", 1728

Discussion in 'Ship Modeling' started by Armada, Dec 4, 2011.

1. Pieter Boelen

Pieter Boelen (Not So) Old Seadog Staff Member Administrator Storm Modder Hearts of Oak Donator

Maritime Research: Project Engineer (Analysis)
    Armada shouldn't need to do anything for that in Maya, since I believe you can do that yourself with the TOOL.

2. Armada

Armada Sea Dog Staff Member Administrator Project Manager 3D Artist Storm Modder

Game Developer
    Not really. Other mast models wouldn't fit on top of the broken mast stumps on the ship, at least without making substantial changes in Maya.
    I just can't devote time to adjusting this model any further because of my role in developing Hearts of Oak.
    Plus I'm trying to make a new HMS Bellona model, which is a whole different challenge.

Pieter Boelen likes this.
  3. Takeda-One

Takeda-One Prussian Corsair Storm Modder

How could I do this with the Tool? So many parts of the rigging are modeled and not based on locators, same thing with the Raa-Rigging parts. I think you would need some 3D-Modelling, which I am unfortunatly not able to perform in lack of too much skills, knowledge and software.

May major goal is to get this Ship:

[​IMG]
    I think it could be the Adventure Gally from 1695...

Last edited: Jul 14, 2015
  4. Armada

Armada Sea Dog Staff Member Administrator Project Manager 3D Artist Storm Modder

Game Developer
    The best that can be done in TOOL is to move the mast locators so the Raa's masts could at least fit in roughly the right place.
    However, the rigging would still not match up perfectly, so that would need to be done in a modelling program.

5. Takeda-One

Takeda-One Prussian Corsair Storm Modder

I think the Rigging of the San Felipe from PGargon could be more easy to adjust for her, as well as for the Wicked Wench or Unicorn (PGargon) in order to fit those to the time frame...

6. Armada

Game Developer
    I recently had another look at this photo that @Bava posted ages ago and realised I never made a texture to represent that colour scheme:
    So, I thought I'd give it a go...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    It at least looks a bit more colourful than the default paint scheme. I know we already have the French version based loosely on L'Hermione, but this one differs a fair bit.
    I couldn't add the white stripe without affecting too many rails, but I think it looks fine without it. The blue shade might need tweaking slightly to compensate for PotC's lighting, though.

I'm not sure how this paint scheme would fit into the mod's current line-up, but I've attached the texture anyway if anyone wants it. ;)
    I will probably make this a repaint option in New Horizons Remastered, once we add that feature.

Attached Files:

7. Pieter Boelen

Pieter Boelen (Not So) Old Seadog Staff Member Administrator Storm Modder Hearts of Oak Donator

Cool, @Armada! :woot

@Grey Roger, can you think of a use for this texture in the current version of the mod?

8. Grey Roger

Grey Roger Sea Dog Staff Member Storm Modder

If France can have its own version of the frigate then I see no reason why Britain should not have one as well. This is going to become "RN_Frigate". :napoleon

9. Pieter Boelen

Did we really not have that yet? Wow! :shock

10. Grey Roger

I got away with adding the main white stripe - not as easy as I'd hoped because although it's a "bortout", it doesn't apply the texture exactly as seen in the file. So that relatively uniform stripe changes thickness in the file to compensate for the way it doesn't follow the curve as drawn.

First preview:
    rnn_frigate_development1.jpg rnn_frigate_development2.jpg

Pieter Boelen and Armada like this.
  11. Pieter Boelen

Looking good, gents!

But is the artwork below the stern gallery supposed to be blue?
    For some reason, that stands out to me as being kind-of odd; I'd expect a more yellowish tone.

12. Armada

Game Developer
    If you look closely at the dragon figure on the photo in Bava's original post, you'll see it's a shade of light blue.
    It does look a bit unusual, but I find it adds to the uniqueness of this paint scheme. ;)

13. Grey Roger

This is the result:
    RN_Frigate1.jpg RN_Frigate2.jpg

It shows up in the shipyard as a repaint alternative to other "Kreyser" class variants:
    RN_Frigate_shipyard.jpg

14. Pieter Boelen

I could have known it was no accident.
    You're absolutely right, of course!

15. Grey Roger

Looking at that photo, the whole picture appears to be blue-shifted. The black and white parts also contain hints of blue. I'd guess that dragon figure should certainly be toned down a bit and possibly should be grey - perhaps it's supposed to be silver?

The photo is also very grainy, which indicates that the picture was taken in relatively low light. In such situations, digital cameras often pick up red well and blue poorly, leaving the photo with a red shade. (Or the camera might not have had the colour balance set properly for the lighting.) The photo may then have been edited to reduce the red and enhance the blue.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
    Bava likes this.
  16. Grey Roger

Here's the frigate with the dragon toned down a bit. It's not completely desaturated to the point of making it grey/silver, but it's less intense blue than the hull stripe. To me, this looks closer to the original photo.
    RN_Frigate3.jpg

17. Pieter Boelen

Interesting look! Certainly catches the eye. :onya

18. Armada

Game Developer
    Is there any reason you changed the upper railings to yellow, rather than black? I originally made them black because it looked closer to the photo's paint scheme, plus it differentiates this version from the French version.

19. Grey Roger

I didn't change anything except the dragons and the white stripe. If I put back the original version which you uploaded, the railings still appear yellow.

Ahah! I see the problem. It's nothing to do with "bortoutfrigate3.tga.tx". The model file also calls for "Posei_yel.tga.tx". If I change that to "Posei_blc.tga.tx", the railings become black.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
  20. Armada

Game Developer
    Ah, that explains it. When I was testing the texture, I modified Frigate1, which already had black railings, but I'm guessing you modified FR_Frigate instead.