• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Fixed Full taverns and related

Dextr

Sailor
I believe there's a discussion on this one somewhere around, just to keep it on the list: the full taverns look cool, but the prob is that some soldiers, as well as other random npc's behind the tables get "glued" inside each other:) Spoils the dialogues, in case you wanna hire an officer, for example. This issue, I think, was addressed in case of Gibbs on Tortuga, but overall the problem remains.

And related: I noticed the same effect in O'Portugues quest at Point au Pietre, when Bart disembarks with Emilio and other officers to talk to Roxanne in the first place. In this case, however, it just looks bad, no other side effects.

Yes, I've noticed that the taverns are overcrowded. You can't move for being accosted by a soldier who tells you to leave him alone because he's off duty. In some towns there are as many soldiers off duty getting drunk as there are on duty guarding the town!

On one occasion, one of the soldiers was sitting on me! It was in the Assassin storyline at the point where you're sitting at the table talking to Chico about what you're going to do to the French lineship, and one of the soldiers was already in the same seat as me. Because the whole thing was scripted, it didn't affect the proceedings, it just looked silly.

The one tavern I've seen so far which didn't look overcrowded is the one in Havana, which is a different style and a lot bigger than the little taverns inherited from stock PoTC, and can accomodate half the town's regiment with seats to spare. However there seems to be some confusion about where the seats are, which means you sometimes see soldiers (and occasionally others) sitting on empty air.

Yes, it will take someone with coding knowledge to get this working better as well as more feedback from users when it gets worked on.

So i dont know if its a bug or a feature. what i do know is that its annoying.

Build Version: Sunday 21 September 2014
Build 14 Beta 3.3 WIP 5
AND
Build Version: Friday 16 May 2014
Build 14 Beta 3.2

When you go in a tavern (any tavern) to hire crew or whatever you do in tavern there are sometimes 2-3 soldiers opening a conversation, telling you to ignore them " Leave me alone, im off duty" "Just pretend like im not here". I can upload a screenshot if needed but i think you know what im talking about.

Last edited:
That must be one of the features I didn't remove in the Beta 3.3 WIP, because I only returned things to Beta 3.2 state (and then added some new stuff).
Do I have to get rid of that too?

REMINDS ME: bug caused by soldiers in the tavern and the "girl won in a card game" if the gambler is replaced by a gambler with any soldier model the quest glitches and the woman is left in the room for all ertinity

Yes we all know about that feature. The taverns are kinda crowded.

I do like that.

Do I have to get rid of that too?

hmm with all those guys telling you not to talk to them, bargain, offering you treasuremaps, stealing your money... would be nice

btw.. could you lower the chance of the other encounters aswell? I improve my rep by 3-5 in average every city i visit. thats not balanced, considering you only get +1 by finishing a trading quest and it takes much longer^^

I'm the exact opposite. Having to force your way through a tavern crowded with half the town's garrison is a nuisance, especially when they interrupt you to tell you to leave them alone. I want to leave them alone, or preferably send them back to their barracks where they belong. The useful people who sell you things can stay.

You can improve your reputation by talking to everyone you meet and hope there are plenty of beggars offering +1 reputation for 20 coins and people who drop their wallets so you can gain free reputation by telling them. You can also go bankrupt by talking to everyone you meet and finding that some of them have helped themselves to the contents of your pocket. If you notice, you can try to get your belongings back by fair means or foul, the latter costing you the reputation you gained from the beggars. I'm quite happy with this as it is.

So yes, get rid of the soldiers in taverns, then there's no problem with them sitting where someone significant to a story is supposed to be. Leave other encounters as they are.

If you don't want to talk to people, don't talk to them. ;) If you don't want them to talk to you first, look in "InternalSettings.h" for the variables "CITIZEN_STOPCHANCE" and "CITIZEN_TALKCHANCE" - unless things have changed in more recent builds, those will determine whether people stop to talk to you and whether they initiate a conversation themselves. There are some more variables you can play with which might have an effect on how many people you meet and what they do.

The "Extra Atmosphere" mod was not included in Build 14 Beta 3.1; would you gentlepeople say that was a better game experience?
If so, I can return that code to its former state as well. Whenever I manage to find the time, that is.....

Extra Atmosphere was in Beta 3.1. I can tell you that from personal experience, having installed Beta 3.1 after trying out Beta 3.2. ;) Beta 3.1 was even worse, not only were there lots of soldiers in the taverns but being drunk, they'd sometimes attack you. (In fact, they sometimes attacked me at first, and usually won. Eventually I beat them and continued with the game, only to find that they always attacked in every tavern after that. Free melee practice, free weapons, but a bit annoying when all I wanted to do was go to the bar and hire a few replacement crew. xD)

"Build Info.txt" for Beta 3.2 has this line in it:
. Extra Atmosphere Tavern Fights fixed by Levis

Yes that was a better experience. In the Htc storyline I had to try 8 to 10 times, to get allowed:aar to talk with Mr. Gibbs,
because soldiers was sitting on the knee´s of him.

If it did work, I can see 'bout putting it back.
I took out just about all @Levis' code to see what difference that would make.

Back