• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Future Bartolomeu Quests

Peter Blood

Privateer
I have noticed that there aren't many inclusive exploits of the historical Bartolomeuo Portugues in Bart's storyline (not necessarily a bad thing as it is clearly the most professionally designed storyline in the game!), and I actually, if you don't mind, had some quest ideas that I would like to share that are inspired by his real life exploits. I know Bart isn't planning on doing anything more, but I thought I would just throw around some concepts.

Quest Concept = The Scourge of New Spain

Following his adventure in Cartagena, Bartolomeu decides to sail to Tortuga to get information on new Spanish prizes. There, he meets the pirate captain Nikolaus Van Hoorne who tells Bartolomeu of a treasure fleet sailing out of Campeche. Together, they agree to team up and capture the fleet. After doing so, they return to Port Royal and divide the plunder and then part ways. The next time you go out to sea, a vicious storm strikes and Bartolomeu is washed ashore on Hispaniola. He manages to find a few of his surviving men and together they sneak into Santo Domingo to steal a small sloop. While in Santo Domingo, one of Bartolomeu's men hears a rumour regarding a Spanish shipment of cocoa out of Santiago. Bart and his men manage to take the galleon and her cargo. One of the prisoners manages to reveal information regarding a large quantity of gold being held in Havana.

Bartolomeu moors his ship off of the northwestern coast of cuba and makes for Havana. Once he arrives in town, he finds an entire Spanish troop waiting for him (what the prisoner said was a trick to lead him into a trap). On his way to the gallows, Bartolomeu is surprised to find his brave crew firing on the fort to buy him time to escape, which he does. He makes distance from Havana, but he finds three Spanish galleons chasing him that he must evade. After doing so, he decides it is a good idea to lay low on a lowly populated island like Cozumel. On cozumel he finds, by chance, his old friend Roxanne and her new ally, Jean La Croix (a defacto continuation of his story). They say that they are on their way to Campeche to attack a heavily guarded silver stash beneath the city itself. Bartolomeu agrees to join them. Upon their arrival in Campeche, Bart offers to reconnoiter around town and find the whereabouts of the hidden stash's entrance. Once he finally locates the entrance, he is recognized by the authorities who confiscate his weapons and imprison him on a large prison ship in the harbor. Once onboard, he notices Roxanne, Lacroix and his men sail away...keeping to his code that he allegedly wrote. He finds a rusty knife and kills the sentry onboard. Due to an absence of longboats, he finds several bottles, ties them together, and makes a boat out of it.

He goes to shore and escapes Campeche, going into the jungle. He finds a small smuggler camp and manages to barter his way onto a ship bound for Port Royal. Once there, he meets Lacroix, his men, and Roxanne a rendezvous point they decided on. His men ask what happens, and he says that he was captured but that he found the stash. They manage to assemble a crew and then they all set sail on Roxanne's frigate and they head back for Campeche. Once there, Bartolomeu leads a band of 20 men to capture the ship guarding the port. After doing so he fires on the fort and they flood into town. Lacroix, Bartolomeu, and Roxanne head to the local prison where they find Johan Elting who was also imprisoned for trying to sneak into the silver mine under the city. Together, the four of them fight their way to the mine's entrance and they go underground to kill the Spaniards. After the battle, not only to they take the silver, but they also manage to ransom the city as well. The newly freed Elting goes with Bartolomeu and the rest of the crew to Cuba to divide the booty, where Roxanne decides to run her ship aground because of its size. In doing so, she accidentally kills most of her crew and almost herself including Lacroix. (you could either kill him off, or if you dont think it to be a good idea, I have an alternative). If Lacroix does not die, he travels with everybody on Bart's heavily laden ship back to Port Royal, where the four of them divide the stolen plunder. Jean then (if he is not killed off) states that he is getting far too old for privateering and he abruptly returns home to France to enjoy his wealth (and his newly restored position as Marquis of whatever).

Roxanne returns to Martinique, leaving Bartolomeu and Johan in Port Royal. At the tavern, the two of them meet Roche Brasiliano who Elting is surprised to see still alive. He states that he managed to escape the noose by offering his service of privateering for Spain, which he did against his own people...the Dutch. Elting empathizes for his former enemy and true countrymen. Elting finally decides that the time has come to take revenge against the Vice Admiral of Cuba, who he hears is passing on a ship near the Brazilian coast. The three of them go to Tortuga and meet fellow pirate Francois L'lonais who offers his ship and assistance to his former enemies. Together, the four go to the Brazilian coast and attack the Vice-Admiral's flagship. He escapes to the beach though, and after scuttling the ship, the pirates go to the shore. They pursue the admiral and his entourage into the jungle, where Bartolomeu and Elting confront him at last. Badly wounded, the governor announces that Elting was his greatest achievement...that he was a weapon forged by him. At that moment, as Elting prepares to deliver the final blow, and arrow is shot by a native...a whole bloody army of them! A band of them clubs the admiral to death in a bloody manner and pursues the remaining pirates and Spanish. L'lonnais decides to hold them off while the others run for the ships, but he is captured and eaten alive. The few survivors that make it back to the coast escape in Bartolomeu's ship and make for Hispaniola...the place where Bartolomeu's adventures began. They return to the French port of Margiot where Elting states that his revenge is completed and he is no longer a subject to Spain's influence. He thinks that he will probably return to work as an assassin...but this time in Holland. Roche Brasiliano believes himself to be getting too old for piracy, so he decides to move to a new town known as Shipwreck Cove to get lost in the crowd. He says that there may be a place for Bartolomeu somewhere in the streets of Shipwreck City, but he still has room for more adventures in the future. The storyline then ends on a good note, just as it begins, with Bartolomeu trying to figure out what to with his life in the city of Margiot. At the very end, a much more lighthearted Bartolomeu is approached by young Hector Barbossa who asks if he is the famous Bartolomeu o Portugues. After the confirmation, Barbossa says that he wants to join his crew. He said he has always dreamed of sailing with the great "Bartholomew". Bartolomeu welcomes him into his crew, and says that he will teach him how to be a true pirate. The final dialog lines go along the lines of Bartolomeu saying "Now, first lesson, if you are ever to find a chest full of cursed Aztec coins, just leave them alone, you'll probably turn into a skeleton or something." Barbossa says, "Don't worry so, I won't. Oh, and skeleton's, are you serious?" Bartolomeu says "Indeed, skeletons. Do you have a problem with cursed skeletons, boy?" Barbossa replies with, "Sorry, I hardly believe in ghost stories anymore Mr. Bartholomew."......

I saved your story in my computer. I'll read that today. At the moment, I can only promise I'll finish the cartagena quest for this storyline. (Without forgetting, I've also got one to do for the Assassin one :shock )

The quest concepts were actually based off of some of Bartolomeu's actual exploits (the only known ones he engaged in). I based it off of several sources including a wikipedia article.

Here it is so you can compare his wiki bio to my quest idea.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bartolomeu_Português

Here are my comments about your story. There are some parts I like and others less.
If you've got new ideas, tell me. In the future, I could use them if I continue this storyline.

Attachments

• Your story.pdf
    66.9 KB · Views: 234
I actually completely forgot about the Admiral's death and L'lonaiss'. I also see that L'lonais actually died in a similar fashion as he did in history as well (by the natives, though I think it may have actually been in Brazil IRL) on Curacuo. I missed the piece with the corpse of Roche. I will need to look closer next time. I didn't actually think Roche Brassiliano was confirmed to have died though, but I guess the ambiguity leaves it open for him to be executed by the Spanish. And I'm glad you like my idea about the wine bottles. I just now noticed your picture. ;)

If you could keep the parts I like and re-write the others, maybe we could have an interesting quest in the future. :)

Could there maybe be a possibility that L'lonnais is still alive? It could add an interesting plot twist per say. His vicious cannibalistic death at the hands of the natives on the wild shores of Portuguese Brazil. And in terms of Lacroix, is it for the better that he dies when the ship is run aground or that he returns to France?

Back