• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

FX from French Quest ship for other vessels

Joe Dagger

Freibeuter
Storm Modder
Well the ship SHIP_SOLEYRU, that's the french quest ship, has some very nice looking FX as she fires her cannons so I thought it would be very nice if this effect could be copy pasted to certain cannon/culverins types (or ships in general)

Since the FX looks powerfull I would suggest to give this FX the higher firepower cannons only... let's say 36 lbs cannons and above... culverins too.

What do you think guys? maybe I should add a screencap so the ones who don't know how it looks can see but unfortunately I don't have one at the ready but if I have one I'll update asap.

Cheers
Joe

EDIT

It has a different smoke effect? I thought the smoke effects were universal.
I'm not sure about the smoke effect that might be a little different too not sure on that what I mean is the flame effect that shows up for a very short time it really looks good while cannons open fire... I need a screen capture to show you...

1st post updated with screencaps. The effect goes from yellow to a dark orange in very shot time can't be captured with screencaps, for some reason FRAPS refuse to work so I can't shot a video from that but you'll get the idea looking at the screenies.

I'm not sure if the smoke is different but I guess so the recently fired cannons at the portside have more smoke volume and variation in colour... but maybe that's just my imagination.

Yes there are two firing and smoke effects. The Flying Dutchman has a different firing and smoke effect. Seems like one of our guys (might have been Jonathan?) gave the FD's firing/smoke effects to some of the other larger ships. I think its in one of the old read me's somewhere. The screenshots don't do it justice. I does look really cool. I always thought you could see a tiny bit of red in the FD's effect and the smoke is a little darker. There was a different sound effect as well, but someone changed that and gave it to other ships too (was that you OP?)

I have no issues with the changes. I wish we had multiple effects. "Variety is the spice of life."

MK

Maybe this effect is related to her cannons? She has 48 lbs cannons which are removed from the shipyard thus you only have them on very few ships like this one (quest ships).

Or it's ship related, I don't now. However it would be sweet if we add this fire/smoke effect to the heavy lbs guns. Cannons and Culverins alike.

Hmmm...going OT for a moment. There are two ships with similar model names, the Soley Royale and the Kings MOW. The quest ship shouldn't have those blue/white sails, only the Kings MOW should.

I'll have to fix that :hmm I though I already did in a previous build.

Hmmm...going OT for a moment. There are two ships with similar model names, the Soley Royale and the Kings MOW. The quest ship shouldn't have those blue/white sails, only the Kings MOW should.

I'll have to fix that :hmm I though I already did in a previous build.

In GOF 1.1, the only ship with "ships\parus_SoleyRu.tga" sails (the white and blue ones) is SHIP_SOLEYRU.

A waste of a nice texture, if you ask me.

Cheers.
buho (A) - starting to cheat his fleet to have white and blue sails :wp

Heh heh.

By default I think the quest ship had the blue/white sails but then I changed them to white at some point since the majority of the pictures/models I've seen of the ship has white sails, not the blue/white ones. To keep those sails in the game, I gave them to another ship, the Kings MOW.

Back