• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Feature Request Gambler Money Restored Periodically

A.H

Privateer
I mentioned this before, and it was fixed.. but I'm just asking whether to make sure if there is something I can do to get rid of it:

80.jpg

I played a lot, but all day I been getting this message until now I had 1 game with this good player.. then after that everyone else keeps telling me I'm the best player in all these islands...

Any solution to make that go away?

I mentioned this before, and it was fixed.. but I'm just asking whether to make sure if there is something I can do to get rid of it:

I played a lot, but all day I been getting this message until now I had 1 game with this good player.. then after that everyone else keeps telling me I'm the best player in all these islands...

Any solution to make that go away?
If I recall, the rewriten code for that doesn't ALWAYS prevent that message from appearing.
I think it still happens when the person you are asking doesn't have enough money.
Makes sense then, doesn't it? He can't gamble with you because he can't afford to lose anything.

Try standing in front of him and pressing "O". The interface that comes up then *might* also show you how much gold the guy has.

Reactions: A.H
Would you be willing to get into a cash poker game with the likes of Doyle Brunson?

Neither is the guy you're looking at. xD

Thought for Build 15: would it be possible to have some highly skilled gamblers sitting in taverns? Maybe willing to fleece anyone stupid enough to sit down with them, or maybe they'll only accept a game with you if you have the "High Stakes Gambling" perk as they aren't interested in playing for pocket money. These are the sort of people who would be willing to get into a game with the likes of Doyle Brunson.

Thought for Build 15: would it be possible to have some highly skilled gamblers sitting in taverns? Maybe willing to fleece anyone stupid enough to sit down with them, or maybe they'll only accept a game with you if you have the "High Stakes Gambling" perk as they aren't interested in playing for pocket money. These are the sort of people who would be willing to get into a game with the likes of Doyle Brunson.
Isn't that sort-of what @Levis added that "High Stakes Gambling" perk for in the first place? o_O

High Stakes makes sure you can increase the bet a bit more. I could make this even more if people want.
I do like the idea to add some professional gamblers at places to have them play with you if you have High Stakes. Think we can manage that :).
When you have HighStakes the gambler characters should have more money with them already also btw.

@A.H could you provide a savegame for this situation so I can see what the conditions are and see if we need to change these.

When you have HighStakes the gambler characters should have more money with them already also btw.
That's what I meant. That is also pretty much what is needed here, I think.

Is gamblers' money ever reset again during play? Otherwise, once you've cleaned them all out, that's the end of it no matter what.

Heres the save in Puerto rico tavern.. you might have to keep reloading till you get in the situation of gambling..

However Pieter I did make it work just once.. however yesterday the whole day I couldn't get a game going :(

With regards to Levis's high stakes perk.. it's not exactly increase bet.. but you can maximum bet 2000 gold.. then if you win, you can bet another 2000+ ... that's what the perk is.. although it would be nice to get a game with higher stakes like 5,000 ++ or even much more!

Attachments

• FreePlay.rar
    1.2 MB · Views: 173
Heres the save in Puerto rico tavern.. you might have to keep reloading till you get in the situation of gambling..

However Pieter I did make it work just once.. however yesterday the whole day I couldn't get a game going :(

With regards to Levis's high stakes perk.. it's not exactly increase bet.. but you can maximum bet 2000 gold.. then if you win, you can bet another 2000+ ... that's what the perk is.. although it would be nice to get a game with higher stakes like 5,000 ++ or even much more!

I will take a look at it.
With High Perks you can go 1 level of betting higher then normal.

Is gamblers' money ever reset again during play? Otherwise, once you've cleaned them all out, that's the end of it no matter what.
I have changed this to a "Feature Request" as it technically isn't a bug.

From what I understand, if you have "High Stakes Gambling", gamblers have more money to begin with than would otherwise be the case.
But even then, when they're done, they're done. And if they've got no money, they'll refuse to gamble for obvious reasons.

So should their money be reset once in a while? If so, when and how?

Gamblers were probably introduced in the original game to lead into the "Girl won in a card game" side quest. Once you'd cleaned out a gambler, you had to go somewhere else - you couldn't keep going back to the same guy and fleecing him repeatedly until he produced the girl. By the time you'd won enough games, you'd been in most of the taverns in the somewhat smaller archipelago of the time, and anyway you didn't need to gamble any more after the quest had been triggered. So everyone recognised you as the man who won every game in the Caribbean and refused to play.

It still makes sense for a gambler to refuse to play again if you've cleaned him out. Partly because he doesn't want to be cleaned out again, and partly for the original reason, i.e. you have to travel around and gamble all over the place in order to trigger the quest. If you're going to refill the gambler's wallet and let him play against you again then you should also boost his "Luck" skill. The only reason he's willing to risk another game with you is that he's improved his game and thinks he'll win this time. Which he might, if you haven't been practising elsewhere so your own "Luck" skill hasn't improved as well...

When you win a round, your "Luck" skill goes up a few percent. Is the increase related to how much you won, or is it a fixed increase each time? The only reasons I gamble are to raise "Luck" and to get the "Girl won in a card game" quest, so unless the "Luck" increase is related to the stake then there's little point in raising the stake too high, let alone taking "High Stakes Gambling". On the other hand, if I get at least 5 times as much "Luck" for winning a hand for 500 gold as I get for winning a hand for 100 gold then it becomes worthwhile.

For some players, I think there can be two more reasons for gambling:
- Some people might just enjoy the various card games
- Once you get a high Luck skill, it could become some source of income

Plus the original reasons provided by @Grey Roger:
- Increasing your own Luck skill
- Triggering the "Girl won in a card game" side quest

Of course having Luck 10 and the NPC gamblers' money resetting pretty much makes it a cheat and that wouldn't make for good gameplay. So I do agree that should be avoided.
Or, for example, when the gamblers' money is reset, ALSO set their Luck skill equal or higher than to that of the player.
This would simulate the gamblers having gaining experience through playing with other characters in the meantime.
Ir would also ensure that the next time, you'll be pretty much evenly matched again so it isn't so much of a cheat.

As far as the skill progression from gambling goes, I'm not entirely sure how that works right now. Hopefully @Levis can clarify on that one.
If it isn't already the case, I do reckon that you should gain luck proportional to the size of the bet. That would only make sense, no?
But it should go BOTH ways. So the NPC should gain Luck points similar to how the player and any other character would.

Will look into this after the beta 4 release probably.

To preserve the function of the original "Girl won in a card game" quest, I'd say gamblers shouldn't reset at all until you've done the quest, so you're forced to play in different taverns in order to trigger it. After that, perhaps set the gambler's skill equal to or slightly higher than what the player had when he beat the gambler, then the gambler will probably win unless the player has also improved since.

But if the gambler's skill is always set to at least the same as the player's current level then it will become almost impossible to win and gambling will be effectively ruined. There's no point boosting your "Luck" skill if everyone else's is boosted to at least the same.

Another option might be that, once you've completed the quest, that's the trigger for new gamblers to show up in taverns. These could have random but higher "Luck" skill and have been attracted to the area by rumours of an ace gambler ready for some serious games (that's you :D).

So I was thinking. What do you think of this @Grey Roger and/or others?
When you haven't done the girl won in a card game the gamblers will only have the amount of money they have now so you need to visit multiple gamblers.
If you dried them out they will do 1 more gamble for the largest sum of money. They will offer a treasure map as gamble.
After you did the girl won in a card game gamblers will restore theire money again. Every time a gambler is restored he will also have a new treasure map which you still can gamble for if he is out of money.
They're gambling skills should increase over time and when you play with them.

Regular treasure quest map, you mean?
I have no objection to adding another way to get those.... :no

On the other hand, that doesn't actually address the original issue here.
And how would you display that in the gambling interface?

The same way i did it for the patrol plans. And it would be a regular treasure map yes.

I don't like the idea of this treasure map quest getting in the way of the "Girl won in a card game" side quest. If I understand correctly, you need to wipe out gamblers in various taverns, then gamble again to get the treasure map, then if you've won enough you finally get the side quest. Or will the broke gambler offer the girl before the treasure map?

It might be better to not offer the treasure map until after the "Girl won in a card game" side quest is finished.

Back