• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help Game automatically adjusting away from brightness setting

Tingyun

Corsair
Storm Modder
A problem I have been experiencing when exploring dark caves: I can't get the brightness setting to work correctly.

Setting brightness up in the video settings doesn't seem to really do anything much.

If I change the brightness on my computer, it only lasts for as long as it takes to enter and exit a menu. For example:

1) If I am on the game menu screen by pressing F1, and I lower my computer brightness to 0, then resume game, then raise my computer brightness to max, Only then does it get bright.

2) If I then hit F1 again, and leave the menu screen to resume game while my computer brightness is still set to high, then upon resuming the game it is dark again. Same seems to apply to going to inventory menus and such.

So basically the game keeps adjusting my brightness level compensating for my computer brightness setting whenever I enter a menu. I desperately want it to stop doing that. ;)

Any ideas on how to solve this?

Are you using full screen or windowed mode?
As far as I remember, the brightness settings only really work in full screen.

Windowed, but the main problem is the game adjusting itself to compensate for my computer brightness setting. As I described, I am changing brightness in my computer directly, and it works fine until I visit a menu.

So I have to, everytime I go to a menu screen, turn my computer brightness way down before exiting the menu, and then back up once the game resumes. I just want the game to stop changing its brightness in response to my computer setting.

I have absolutely not the faintest clue how the game could even be doing that.
Only suggestion I can give us to switch to full screen and see if that is any better.

By the way, it is possible to increase the brightness of specific locations.
I wrote a tutorial on how to make COL files which you can find on the Tutorials forum.

Hi Pieter,

Yes, it is precisely because it is such odd behavior by the game that I think there must be a way to stop it. ;)

I'll try full screen then, and if it doesn't work, I might look into increasing the brightness tutorials you mention. Thanks for taking the time to provide the advice. :)

Back