• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Game crashes when i click on ENGINE.EXE

Niazay

Landlubber
Hello there sir, i have been playing POTC on my old pc and i loved the game so much, thanks for the intel fix that allow me to play my old game on my laptop when i grew older :) , and your build 14 mod is very amazing and unique in its taste :D

but now i got a problem, i have played the game for like 19 hours , did alot of things, had my savegame and everything , but then suddenly one day, my game crashed, and didnt open since then, everytime i try to click on engine.exe a message says "the game stops working" ... i tried uninstall and reinstalled...the game worked for a while, then the next day i tried to open it says the same "game has stopped working" .... and its not at new game menu , its right from the start since i open Engine.exe

now i dont know if the forums are still active or not...but i do hope that someone please helps me get through this, and thanks alot in advance guys :D

Ahoy Niazay, welcome aboard mate.

We are very glad you are enjoying our Mod, except for the crashing that is. This forum has been active for well over a decade mate, and I don't see that changing any time soon. we have way to much work to do!

As for your problem, the Intel fix is not so much a fix as a work around, sometimes there are still issues, but it certainly helps some people at least play the game. Since it was working before with the Build, it should work again. A couple of things to check would be your hard drive space, if your using a typical laptop, you probably don't have a whole lot of free ram. Windows could be compensating with it's swap file and running you out of hard drive space. Since you didn't provide system specs, I am just guessing here. :shrug

Also make sure that you are not running asy background programs, including virus checkers. They can use a lot of system resources and eat up memory fast.

first of all im thankful for the quick reply and intervention to help me :) .... i would gladly fill in my system specs but i require some instructions on how to do so , sir :D.

and as i was saying, the game ran smoothly for sometime , yet suddenly it stopped working after a while , so if the problem was in the ram wouldnt the game have had the same error from the start :D? .... and yes sir i have stopped all running programs through task manager processes tab, i can follow step by step if you have the time for it sir :)

and thank you so much for the warm welcome ;)

Remove the file named "options" from your main game folder.
Sometimes that becomes corrupted and caused all sorts of issues.
Removing it will reset your settings to default, but will probably return the game to working order.

Thank you sir for replying :) .... i have removed the file options and still the same issue :( , "the game has stopped working" is all what i keep getting :/ ..... im willing to help with providing anything you need of info sir :) , and thanks in advance

To get your system specs in Windows, got to the Start menu, type in dxdiag in to the search box and hit enter. That is of course if you actually have a s Start menu! It may come back with a dialog asking if you want to check if your drivers are signed and tell you that it will send information to Microsoft. After you tell it yes or no, it should come up on the System tab and display all the pertinent information. What we need is :

Operating Syetem :
Processor :
Memory :
DirectX Version :
Page File :

Under the Display tab we need :

Device Name :
Driver Version :

If you are using Windows 8, on the Start screen, press the Win key (Windows logo key) + i, then click Tiles. Click Show administrative tools to change it to Yes. Return to the Start screen and wait a few seconds. Notice all of the administrative tools on the right end of the Start screen. Click System Information and you should see similar info.

Also, please include the Build version that you downloaded and are using.

okay sir, thanks for your help , i will list the specs right away :

Operating system: windows 7 ultimate 64-bit (6.1 build 7601)
Processor : Intel (R) Core (Tm) i3 CPU M350 @2.27GHz 4 cpus , ~ 2.3 GHz
Memory : 6144 MB RaM
Direct X version : Direct x 11
Page file : 2079MB used, 9803 available

under the display tab the specs are :

Name : Intel (R) HD Graphics
Driver version : 8.15.10.2202

lets hope i can get to something soon ;) , thank you for all your work

It has been my experience that POTC has a limited life span. It generally lasts in the 1-5 month range before this happens, but I did have one install that lasted almost 2 years before this happened to it and I had to delete it. I have never found a way to revive a dead install.

Intel GFX card, right? You have the Intel fix installed?
Do you get into the main menu at all?

Can you post the .log files from your main game folder?

It could also be a problem with the video files.
If that is the case, open the resource\videos folderand move the contents somewhere else.
If the game can't find them, it cannot crash because of them either.

Mr pieter , yes i have intel fix installed, as i said above i actually played the game and done many things, but now i cant even open it from the start .... ill try the video files removal and see

how can i post the .log files please :D ? which file holds the info ?

EDIT : moving the videos folder didnt fix the issue :/ sorry :( ...whats the next step

Last edited:
okay i found out the log files , i just uploaded them sir :) . hope they might unravel the mystery behind this error :D

Attachments

• compile.log
    8.7 KB · Views: 199
  • system.log
    15.7 KB · Views: 187
Remind me too check this tomorrow. I can't open them on my phone right now, unfortunately.

Err, those logs show you sailing from island to island and trading at a store, then exiting the game.

hahahaha!! yeah i like plundering ships then selling their cargo xD, but uhh...does that break the game :D ?

I thought you said you could not even start the game but the logs show you playing the game and then exiting normally.

Indeed those are not the log files of a game that crashes. Those files suggest that your game works fine. o_O

weird.... well the game isnt "actually" crashing, it doesnt open first place lol .... anyways i tried installing it on a different directory, till now its working , lets hope it was a directory corruption problem other than an in game one .... thanks for help though sir, and looking forward for your upcoming mods and updates :D

Then the only explanation for those log files I can think of is that the game crashes SO quick that it never even gets to writing the log files.
Or error logging got turned off.

Hopefully a reinstall will indeed help. :onya

i guess it worked :D .... the installation to another directory...up till now its working perfectly :) .... lets hope it remains this way :D .... thank you very much for help and for your time.... looking forward to more mods from you, keep the good work up guys :)

Back