• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Game engine crashing in CoAS

kptblood

Powder Monkey
Ahoy
I am playing the vanila version 1.3.0 atm Everything was fine (some small crashes but it is nothing compare to stock AOP1 XD) I just got onto the CoAS part, storm, lost ships crew officer bla bla bla. Greeted by the guy. Was walking around to explore. But then it crahed. So i restarted but again it crahed within 1 min after loading. So I went to tech help and found someone had the same problem. It is a very old thread but i replied any way. But no responds so far(like 2 days now), so i am trying my luck here.

Btw, i copied the game and applied CM V3.2 use DEV mode to teleport to CoAS. Same problem.

It seems to be a hardware conflict it seems after reading in that tech help topic. Someone mentioned his nVidia card keep crashing in stormy weather in CoAS, but runs fine with ATI.

Is there a known solution which i missed? Can I disable the stormy weather so i can at least play the game without CTD every 30 40 seconds? If so, how?

Many thx

I have a Nvidia 8500gs and have no problems at the moment but then i have never been to City of abandened ships so i can't say if that would be a problem i would suffer with aswell. It could be the later series from Nvidia thats the problem. I take it the game plays fine when your not trying to do the COAS quest?

The crashing only started once i reached CoAS, and the other part of the game works just fine (withou about 1 crash mainly when trying to save every 2-3 days) I got the GTX 460 btw.

When i ask is there a way to turn off stormy weather, i mean just the effect, don't really care if the game really thinks is raining or what not. :shrug

Thou i haven't crashed even once in a storm when in 3D sailing mode. Since i think storm at sea and storm on land should be using the same set of effects, this is strange.........

Edit: found new thing. On the deck of the ship The Pluto, when ever i start turning my view to the left, it crash, so i tried not turning my view to the left and managed to pass that ship without crashing. I think i recall another ship or the bridge between 2 other ship that crash when i turn left. Gona do more testing.

Edit: When ever i pass 1 of the doorway of The Eva, it crashes.

Edit: managed to reach the tavern wothout crashing, slept 2 days and not a single crash when there is no storm. My problem is gone for now untill i hit the last part of this quest in a few days.........

I have the exeact same problem when it's stormy in CoAS. I managed to go around it when I first arrived by reaching the tavern and sleeping through the storm, but now I'm trying to gather my crew for the escape trip and can't go around it. It doesn't really crash, it freezes, falls to like 0.01 FPS and doesn't recover. I managed to get most of the crew (6 to go) by quicktravelling to the various buildings (do the priest's quest to get the fast travel ability) and limited walks outside, saving after each crewmember gained, but I reached a point where I now have to wander the decks and gather the rest. Even tried to adjust the furthest clipping in Engine.ini lowered the graphics and put it into windowed mode, but to no avail... It really is the storm effects that causes that, maybe if someone can find a way to temporarily disable the hurricane and lightning particles, it will work, alas, I haven't dabbled into the game's files enough to know where or how to do that. Gonna keep trying, but if anyone else has any ideas whatsoever, please help....

EDIT: I believe it has something to do with particle rendering, since it also ALWAYS freezes up when I go down the stairs into the Gloria (Church ship). While freezing I get multiple instances of the candle flames on screen. So I was thinking, maybe it's not the actual storm that is the problem, but rather the storm's particles. Is there a way to temporarily turn off particles altogether?

Ok just found out this modded version of [reaction_functions.c] does work at disabling the storm for the end part, but not the storm at the beginning when you first entered the city(for me any way).

it is post #13 in the thread: http://forum.piratesahoy.net/topic/15549-windows-7-x64-engineexe-bug/

So the best solution i got atm is try to reach the tavern when you arrived and sleep 2 days for the storm to die. if it don't work, u need to reload the save.

What I did was set up a virtual machine running win xp, port my saves there, and play through the rest of the CoAS on it. It's choppy as hell, and the graphics look awful, but looks like it was the only way.

The crashing only started once i reached CoAS, and the other part of the game works just fine (withou about 1 crash mainly when trying to save every 2-3 days) I got the GTX 460 btw.

I am also using a gtx 460m. However the game crashes at a minimum of every 45 sec. with the GOF mod.
My CPU seems to be maxing out and my GPU doesnt seem to even break a sweat.

Im running an-------- Intel® Core™ i7-2360QM CPU @ 2.00 GHz
8.00 GB RAM
ASUS Notebook G73SW Series

I have exhausted what little knowledge I have in trying to fix my issue without any luck.

I am also using a gtx 460m. However the game crashes at a minimum of every 45 sec. with the GOF mod.
My CPU seems to be maxing out and my GPU doesnt seem to even break a sweat.

Im running an-------- Intel® Core™ i7-2360QM CPU @ 2.00 GHz
8.00 GB RAM
ASUS Notebook G73SW Series

I have exhausted what little knowledge I have in trying to fix my issue without any luck.

On my travel system I have a similar PC (ASUS G73J), but mine has the ATI Radeon 5870. My game runs flawlessly. The video I recently posted was off the ASUS. I run a GTX in my main Home PC and can tell you that as much as I love NVIDIA, that those things are some finicky buggers. I had to specially tweak mine to run both my Total War games and COAS and POTC. I had to go back to an earlier set of drivers to optimize it. I DO NOT trust or use ANY NVIDIA driver updates. One set of those updates screwed me up so bad that I did a whole systems restore to get back the tweaks I had prior.

I would bet money that you need to play with that card. I had all kinds of crashes and exception error message windows pop up before I tweaked mine.
I wish I could give you some guidance on settings, but it's been so long ago I don't remember what all I did.
MK

Back