• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Game Promotion: Laying the Foundation

On the moddb page it says the project-style is AAA? Shouldn't this be more like indie or something?

On the moddb page it says the project-style is AAA? Shouldn't this be more like indie or something?
Yes it should. I already tried to change it shortly after making the profile, but apparently that change has to be approved and it is taking a while.
When I originally made the profile, I didn't even know what "AAA" meant and I only found out afterwards. Agh. :facepalm

Anyway, here is the latest e-mail I have on this:

Subject: Game (Hearts of Oak: Conquest of the Seas) Indie
Sent: Fri 26-10-2012 13:18

Hi Pieter_Boelen,

You have just requested your game (Hearts of Oak: Conquest of the Seas) be changed from AAA to Indie. A member of staff will verify this and do it in the next 48hours for you.

http://www.moddb.com/games/edit/hearts-of-oak
http://www.moddb.com/games/hearts-of-oak

If you have any questions don't hesitate to reply to this email.

Thanks,
The Mod DB Team
http://www.moddb.com

Well, I at least have an account on the UDK forums now, but apparently I can't post or even edit my profile until I am approved by an admin. I will post as soon as I am able. :rolleyes:

That IS interesting! Hopefully that will make us even more noticeable.
I'm liking some of the comments there so far. :dance

Very much so. Not doing too bad on visitor numbers and rankings either, especially considering that we haven't actually made any real advertising News Announcement yet.
I reckon that'll be the next thing on my to-do list for tomorrow. Let's see how many people we can get to notice our intents!

Just wondering, but...
How many people do we have who are interested in this game's development? So far, we've got 14 votes in the three X vs. Y polls I posted yesterday. Is that it?

The only trick up my sleeve that I've got left is to write a News article on the ModDB and link that on all our media profiles.
I'll do that tomorrow. Then I think I'll have officially run out of things I know to do to contribute to the development of HoO at this time.
That may be a good thing, since I have a lot of other things on my to-do list as well, but I had been hoping to leave things in a bit of a more... active state?
Oh well... We'll see how it all goes... :shrug

Maybe some people are hanging back because they don't think they can do anything to help? It's hard to tell.
Thagarr is planning to post on the UDK forums very soon; that should bring in a few more experts, with any luck.

In any case, getting something on our social media profiles should be helpful. They have been almost completely kept in the dark, so far.

Methinks those who want instant gratification have moved on. That leaves the core group and the few actual workers to continue. Things will pick up when there is something to show.

That's a fantastic article there Pieter, the pictures are awesome and really help bring it to life! Once the GameDev article expires, I will post there again, hopefully a bit better written next time. :rolleyes:

I have a couple of more ideas that I am going to try at some point in the future as well. Sometimes I am a bit slow to get around to doing things, but I do eventually get them done.

I wouldn't put to much stock in the pole numbers, unless the pole involves scantily clad wenches, poles usually don't get a whole lot of notice or participation around here. I think Hylie is right, the core group is what is going to actually get this project done, hopefully through advertising we can add a few more dedicated people to help.

That's a fantastic article there Pieter, the pictures are awesome and really help bring it to life!
Thanks very much. Indeed I had some fun, trying to find some vaguely appropriate ones. You've got to love "Ye Pirate Muncher. :rofl

I wouldn't put to much stock in the pole numbers, unless the pole involves scantily clad wenches, poles usually don't get a whole lot of notice or participation around here. I think Hylie is right, the core group is what is going to actually get this project done, hopefully through advertising we can add a few more dedicated people to help.
I suppose so. Still, I'd like if there were more people pitching in with their opinions and thoughts... :shrug

Here is the article I have written to be posted everywhere. Any comments before I submit it?

"Hearts of Oak: Conquest of the Seas" is a project of epic proportions, intended to be the pirate and historical seafaring game to end them all. Do you have any interest in such a game, then be sure to READ ON!
Some of you may have already noticed, but we would like to formally announce that....​
PA-logo-382x88.png
proudly presents:
Box_Shot.jpg
OK, the preliminary cover art needs some work. So let's try that again, shall we?​
The PiratesAhoy! Community proudly presents:
Logo.png
This game is being developed to be the pirate and historical seafaring game to end them all. Realistic yet fun gameplay on land and at sea allowing both extensive free play and exciting scripted storylines should ensure that anyone with any interest in the Age of Sail should be able to live their dream!
Now the above may sound a bit vague. Therefore, we recommend you to have a look here:​
This article, also posted here on the ModDB, details our intents quite clearly. However, nothing is set in stone, so if you have any thoughts to contribute, NOW IS THE TIME!​
Request For Help
We are making this as an independent game without any financial backing. It is made by fully freelance developers in their spare time and will be made available for free once we have been able to create something playable.​
Therefore, we can use all the help we can get. So if you would like to contribute, please head over to the PiratesAhoy! Community forums! It doesn't matter whether you already have any skills or not; we welcome everyone!​
And don't forget to...
ModDB_Right.jpg

You've got to love "Ye Pirate Muncher. :rofl
That one is brilliant. xD

The article looks good, though I agree with Hammie that the transparent background looks better with the logo.
Maybe it should be made clear that it is an indie project, and will be a free digital download when released (so no cool box included :p).

Image replaced. I'll see about an Indie/Free write-up soon, which I'll add to it. :yes

How do you like my somewhat silly opening with the fake box art?

I think the box art thing should work. Part of me thinks that some people might misinterpret that as the real thing, but hopefully not. :facepalm

In other news, have you seen how many views the feature article has so far? It's looking quite promising!

I have added the following under "Request For Help" for further clarification:

We are making this as an independent game without any financial backing. It is made by fully freelance developers in their spare time and will be made available for free once we have been able to create something playable.
I think the box art thing should work. Part of me thinks that some people might misinterpret that as the real thing, but hopefully not. :facepalm
If people actually read some of the text, they won't. But then... we know how much reading some people do. :facepalm

In other news, have you seen how many views the feature article has so far? It's looking quite promising!
Indeed, that's not bad. Especially considering we didn't actually post about it everywhere just yet.

Article now posted on the PiratesAhoy! main page, Facebook and Twitter.
The ModDB version is still awaiting authorization, but once that has been done, it will end up on ALL our community profiles there. And hopefully the main page too...

Back