• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Guide GAMEPLAY TIP - How to Keep Rats from Eating Your Cargo...

TheBlackKnight

Corsaire Flibustier
Storm Modder
Pirate Legend
All,

For all those new players out there that get extremely frustrated on losing provisions and cargo from rats while at sea and even when recovering while in port!

Keep in mind, there are SPOILERS here, so if you don't want to ruin a surprise, do not read on...

First, a few facts.
Rats on a ship is a realistic feature in this game not a bug, and can be very debilitating for larger ships with hungry crews.
The worst part is when you are on trade missions for delivering cargo because the rats eat the cargo as well while on long journeys.

For solutions, you have a couple of options.
This is bearing in mind, I assume you are not cheating by disabling the feature or spawning items into the game world using the console control.

First make sure you have plenty of food stocked.
I have found that the rats generally eat this first, with the largest amount of cargo being edible.
This was a modification that was written into GOF 1.1 code.

Now, there are several items that will completely eliminate rats from infesting your ship.
One is only a feature with GOF and Eras, and the other is from the stock game.
You have to carry the item in your personal inventory at all times, but you can give these to NPC ship captains and the effect will still be functional.
This is EXTREMELY useful.

#1 The Rat God Figurine Totem

For the stock game, its called a RAT GOD figurine, which is a very rare item found in only several places in the game and no where else.

The first location is the Pearl Coast Village where your to speak to the Spaniard who offers the "Search for Sharps Spy" Quest.
You are given one to as a up front bonus for taking the mission.

The second location is in a chest underwater in the City of Abandoned Ships.
There are at least two figurine totems in the chest.

The third location is the Layton Dexter chest in the City of Abandoned Ships which is completed as a side mission while trying to escape the Isle of Justice.
Normally, there is just one figurine here based on the game code from my installation.

It is potentially possible that this item can be found in rare treasures using maps, but its instance rate is so low, its not likely.
The same goes for being on a dead body.
Just not going to happen very often, if ever at all.
I have only found one on a body (or was it a chest?) in nearly FIVE real time years playing the game off and on.

#2 The Cat (in Strange Clothes)

This was a feature that was written into GOF and left in Eras until upgraded potentially.
The cat works the same as the Rat God Figurine as you have to keep it on your person.
The only place I have ever found this item as originally coded was in the City of Abandoned Ships.

So, it summary I have found 5 Rat God Totems, and one cat in all my days playing.
There may be more out there, let me know if you found them somewhere else.

Enjoy this game tip.
Keep you powder dry, and your provisions rat free!

Last edited:
Back