• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Gaming Mouse

Of course, we can play POTC with a simple mouse:D. However, this kind of mouse can simplify the gamer's life.

You're right, really cheap.
But, there are too many buttons in my opinion xD
Don't tell me there is nobody in the forum playing POTC with a gaming mouse....xD

I use a Logitech G500 which is similar in that it has adjustable sensitivity and weights. I use the max DPI which can be too fast for some. You can set your own speed with that mouse.

You also have the weights so you can adjust it to your personal preference. I use them all for a heavier more stable mouse. You might like that or you might like a faster mouse combined with less DPI.

I use this mouse mostly for its size. The cheap mice are all too small for my hand and my fingers drag around on the mouse pad causing pain.

That is all I use. Experiment!

Indeed, I also bought the mouse for its big size :yes
About the weights and DPI, I'll do some tests... About the buttons, certainly I'll choose one of them to select the game interface without using the keyboard. For the macros, not sure I need that for POTC. Anyway, I'll try to find the best configuration.

I have one of these.

114504d1286515750-review-mouse-cyborg-rat-7-9.jpg

I used to use an old style $20 Logitech mouse I bought well over 15 years ago, it preformed flawlessly for well over a decade, but finally succumbed to the ravages of time a few years ago. I tried all kinds of alternatives and brands of wired, wireless, gaming, even laptop mice, but was never able to find anything that was even remotely as reliable as that $20 Logitech! Logitech's newer offerings were just not of the same build quality.

Finally I settled on this one and have been using it for well over a year. So far, it has preformed flawlessly, though it did take a bit of getting used to.

Gigabyte Avia Krypton

Last edited:
Right now I am just using it as a normal mouse with the Control Chassis and all the weights in. I am currently running Linux and the customization software that comes with it is Windows only.

One of these years, when I actually have free time, I am going to see if I can get POTC running through Wine on Linux.

I have both on my desktop as well, I just avoid Windows like the plague, I don't boot in to it unless I absolutely have to! I have Windows 7, and I am debating on whether or not I am going to get the free upgrade to 10 when it comes out. I will definitely wait and read a few reviews after it actually releases, so far, I am not impressed at all.

I also recently got a new multifunction printer that actually has Linux drivers and is supported fully, so I can do pretty much everything from Linux now! The only thing I have to boot in to Windows for is to fix the time on my 2 line LCD panel, no Linux support for that. :modding

I got tired of having the heel of my hand and the tips of my two outside fingers getting rubbed raw because my Logitech G500 mouse is too small and finally bought a new mouse.

It is the Evoluent.
Evoluent Mouse - - Yahoo Image Search Results

It is a vertical design and my hand does not touch the pad anymore. It feels light and fast and actually works much better than the G500 ever did. I never realized what a POS it is.

I have two things to get adjusted to: First it is my first ever three button mouse and I am constantly clicking the wrong buttons, and since my arm and hand is rotated nearly 90 degrees my arm needs to get used to the new position. There is some discomfort after long usage, but I expect that to go away over time. Overall it is a big step up.

Udklip.PNG I use this old logitech GS laser mouse. I have sail and canon commands on the two left buttons. Udklip 1.PNG

Last edited:
That looks similar to the G500 except for buttons.

Another thing I have discovered is that the Logitech mouse drivers were interfering with the action in both POTC and COAS. Both games play much smoother now. Do you see any jerkiness when moving around the ship at sea?

Since I install driver version 5.80.3.0, my mouse problems is gone away.
I havent notice any jerkiness on the ship, but it have my attention now.

I got tired of having the heel of my hand and the tips of my two outside fingers getting rubbed raw because my Logitech G500 mouse is too small and finally bought a new mouse.

It is the Evoluent.
Evoluent Mouse - - Yahoo Image Search Results

It is a vertical design and my hand does not touch the pad anymore. It feels light and fast and actually works much better than the G500 ever did. I never realized what a POS it is.

I have two things to get adjusted to: First it is my first ever three button mouse and I am constantly clicking the wrong buttons, and since my arm and hand is rotated nearly 90 degrees my arm needs to get used to the new position. There is some discomfort after long usage, but I expect that to go away over time. Overall it is a big step up.

Hmmmm, I dunno if I could get used to that one. I think I will stick with my Krypton!

Ya, it looks weird but it actually works very well. Because my hand isn't pushing down on it, it has a very light fast feel. The only problem so far is it has a very smooth finish so when I lift it my hand sometimes slips.

Back