• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help General Gameplay Questions

As a privateer you get not better ships by promotion, right? Cuz I played yesterday as Drake and reached the rank of Acting Lieutenant and still didnt got a 5th rate ship...

As a privateer you get not better ships by promotion, right? Cuz I played yesterday as Drake and reached the rank of Acting Lieutenant and still didnt got a 5th rate ship...
As Privateer, you can capture/buy your own ships, so you don't need to be given them for free.
Getting ships upon promotion applies only to Naval Officers.

Well it makes sense... and is there any possibility to become a naval officer, or is it only the case when I start from the beginning as one? (for example Jean-Baptiste, Norrington etc.)

Well it makes sense... and is there any possibility to become a naval officer, or is it only the case when I start from the beginning as one? (for example Jean-Baptiste, Norrington etc.)
at the moment you can only do it at the start. This will be implemented more later.
Right @Pieter Boelen ?

That would be very cool! I can imagine a kind of Naval education...
There is a naval school somewhere in the game already. I would very much like it too if that was given purpose. but it takes time to make that. If you want to help to get that working feel free to try it. We can help you learn how to mod the game.

at the moment you can only do it at the start. This will be implemented more later.
Right @Pieter Boelen ?
It is possible through console using JoinNavy(ENGLAND); for example.
But not in mid-game without using the console. Somebody would need to add a "navy recruiting agent" for all nations.

@Jack Rackham already added Fast Travel for those navy locations.
My hope was that could lead to those locations being used for this purpose.
But that hasn't been done yet.

At the moment we only have a navy location for ENGLAND right?
No other locations are defined yet?

In general, privateers don't get free ships. You can capture enemy ships and use them yourself. Naval officers aren't allowed to do that, they've been assigned their ship by the navy and are ordered to continue in command of that ship, so they get a free ship when they're promoted.

Francis Drake is an exception. In reality he gained command of the Revenge, so when you've been promoted high enough, you should receive it as well. But if you're only Acting Lieutenant then you have some way to go before that happens. ;)

At the moment we only have a navy location for ENGLAND right?
No other locations are defined yet?
Guadeloupe has a naval academy - you visit it as part of the "Elizabeth Shaw" side quest. Britain has several naval buildings as they're needed for "Hornblower" - Port Royale / Kingston, Bridgetown, and both academy and HQ at Antigua. And @Bartolomeu o Portugues took over a house in Sao Jorge for use as a naval office in the "Bartolomeu" storyline, though at present all you can do there is offer to join forces with them and share loot with them - the Portuguese navy are effectively pirates. :g2 Outside that storyline, it's just a house. Also, the big house in that part of Havana which looks like Port Royale centre is the vice admiral's residence in "Bartolomeu" and "Assassin".

Biggest problem would be that nations of the island don't have to be fixed. so If you want to join the navy that has to go trough something else probably or each island should have a location.

That should not be necessary. If a nation has no naval office then it's for one of two reasons. Either the nation has no colonies (Portugal in "Revolutions" and "Napoleonic", America in other periods) or the colony with the naval office has been captured. If the nation has no colonies then it isn't recruiting, or at least not in the Caribbean. If the naval office has been captured then it was probably you who did it, in which case you're hostile to that nation and unlikely to join its navy. xD

Well, I have another question. Is it randomly when nations make peace/war or are they defined timelines, which based an the exact political situation in reality?
Cuz I played as Drake: After capturing the Portuguese colonies, Spain was making peace with England. Now I have no hostiles to slaughter :( Was that a result of my actions?

@Pieter Boelen
Maybe the nation relations for early explorer period should be set so that Spain either doesn't have a chance of peace, or a less chance, or there is a high random chance of war breaking out quickly again for Spain?

War in early explorers (and sometimes elsewhere) doesn't reflect outright war as much as hostilities sufficient to license privateers, since Spain and England were formally at peace when they had Drake raiding the Spanish. Early explorers seems a special gameplay case, with the one big target.

@Javrimir if you search the forums there is a console code that has been mentioned before that will create an instant war between two specified nations. In case you don't want to wait until random chance does it.

It wouldn't be possible to, say, introduce an additional check that if it is early explorers period, has a chance of setting Spain to war with other countries if currently at peace? Or perhaps a dialogue option for the English and such agents in he Caribbean, where you can bribe them to restore their willingness to continue licensing privateers (i.e., you pay money and the code for setting to war runs)?

I don't know anything about how it is coded, just wondering. :)

Maybe it isn't such an issue at all, I just wonder if it would get boring for a player if their country went to peace with Spain.

All possible for sure.
But if we're going to do it, I figure we might as well think through the politics properly and get something fun and interesting for all periods.

That sounds fun. :) It will be an interesting challenge for sure, especially given how much time the periods cover. For example, in the middle of the golden age, France and Spain lose the war of Spanish succession, and the old alliance blocs break down...

I might look at this and start a brainstormin topic later, once we are through with the initial bug-hunting for the new version and can turn our attention better to such matters.

Back