• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Getting a ship by promotion?

Pick "Navy Officer" as your career type when you start a free-play game. Or play the "Hornblower" storyline, which assigns various ships during the course of the story and ends up in free-play mode with you as a naval officer.

I don't think there's any way at the moment for a non-naval character to enlist in the navy within the game.

And how do I get in the navy instead of being a privateer?
Start the game by selecting Naval Officer as your background profession.
Note that this will affect the game in several subtle and noticeable ways as explained here:
New Horizons Playing Styles | PiratesAhoy!

You can also execute this through console:
Code:
JoinNavy(GetServedNation()); // Or replace 'GetServedNation()' with whatever nation you intend to join, such as ENGLAND, HOLLAND or SPAIN
When you do that, you'll start as a Midshipman and will be able to proceed through the ranks as a Naval Officer.

I don't think there's any way at the moment for a non-naval character to enlist in the navy within the game.
Not ingame, but it is easy by console. It would also be easy to add that in the game itself.
After @Jack Rackham's Fast Travel update, it has become clear that almost all nations DO have some sort of Naval Academy or HQ.

All that would be needed is to place a character there who is always available and who can trigger that 'JoinNavy' line through his dialog.
This requires only basic modding (character addition and creation of a simple dialog).

Back