• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Getting into sailing

Post Captain

Seamanship Advisor
Coordinator
QC Advisor
Storm Modder
I can help if anyone in the UK or US wants to get into sailing, especially yacht racing. I'm posting because I've noticed that everyone on the racing yachts around here has been sailing forever and there are virtually no new people. I think it limits the sport a bit.

It's fairly easy to get in with a few emails and most private boats will just make you split the food costs with the rest of the crew. It's not too hard to find somebody who'll take a complete beginner.

I might take awhile to respond because of my schedule. I'm trying to get back here at least once a day.

I've always been interested in joining a tall ship some day as an officer.
Do you have any thoughts on that by any chance?

Yeah actually, I'd suggest taking a holiday on Tres Hombres to try the whole tall ship thing out. You'd act as an active part of the crew in all sailing aspects on a vessel that'll be forced to actually sail everywhere. They're also good because they make an effort to teach you about seamanship including some rigging stuff. http://fairtransport.eu/ships/tres-hombres/
You'd be amazed what you can learn in four or five days. And hey, it's still a holiday!

Other vessels would do, but that's the best in my opinion for real solid experience.

After going out you can say you have sailing experience and I bet you already have more certifications then you'd need. There are sometimes vacancies posted on the Marlinspike Magazine facebook page, but they're usually US and Canada. You'd probably be really well suited to Staad Amsterdam though, she's the more formal type of operation you'd be most familiar with.

But if you ever do go down that path in the future send me an email! I have a few sailing tips that most professionals on ships like that wouldn't know about. I'm always looking to get tall ships sailing better.

I'd certainly like to. One of my concerns though is my physical condition.
Still not back to normal after breaking my hip two years ago. I doubt it'll ever fully get the way it was.

Is it possible at all to do things on a tall ship that wouldn't be too physically demanding?
Anything navigation or watch keeping related should not be a big issue. But anything involving sail handling might be.

I always liked the Stad Amsterdam. She was built close to where I lived.
But they didn't need anyone with my qualifications when I sent them a message last year.

Officers generally never do any physical work but they do need a good understanding of square rig sailing when they have the con and all of them do involve some seamanship. All the ships I'm familiar with don't keep dedicated paid navigators although some of the huge ones might.

It'll be a bit harder to get in if you can't get the proper experience beforehand, especially in smaller vessels with less crew. Your best shot might be with one of the bigger ships like Lord Nelson or Tenacious located here in Southampton. They'll have larger crews with more specialized roles. Might be good to send them an email in the future if you're ever interested.

Back