• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Glad to help project

I don't see the point. One of the purposes of getting the ammo bag is exactly this. You can carry a whole mass of pistol ammo, probably far more than you'll ever need before you get back to the ship and the gunner gives you a free reload; or you can carry a mixture of ammo, with your choice of mixture of bullet types.

Also, from "new log.txt":
A-AND what is it? I tired from unability to shoots people with my musket WITHOUT equiping it as blade.
I want make decision by myself - beat enemy with my Templar sword, or stick this usless m.blade in a soldier, who even doesnt care what i doing
NOW...it does not equipping force ower, and my nervous system is alright
but, it still properly works with soldiers, guards, etc...
The reason for auto-equipping the bayonet is realism. A musket is a big two-handed weapon; you would not be able to fire that and then wield a sword. There's a reason bayonets were invented! Anyway, if you really don't want to use the bayonet, don't carry it, then it can't be auto-equipped. Or, for realism, if you want to use a big sword, carry a pistol instead of a musket.

The only thing to say is that it's maybe a little illogical
that you can't carry 18 pistolbullets when 6pb + 6pg + 3mb is possible.
On the other hand I absolutely don't want to carry 18 pb.

What do other players say?
@Jason and @ANSEL , could you guys give any feedback on that?

@Grey Roger, alright, the realism... I dropped m.blade, fought with soldiers and auto looted that again.
If I was a realist to the bone, I wold delete any game after my protagonist's death (it is easy deal, if m.blade is equipping). But now you're right, I giving up. :bonaparte

Last edited:
I thinking, that a delicate balance could be achieved, if one-handed weapons, like pistols, wants recharges manualy, while weapon in its sheath, but the two-handed fire weapons can recharging in combat. So it could compensate its low attak/defend characteristics. But this kind of game modification would requires too many changes in combat system and some other aspects, so i fantasy a bit.

Last edited:
Reloading a muzzle-loader, whether a flintlock pistol or a musket, isn't like reloading a modern firearm. You need to clean out the barrel, pour in some powder, add some wadding, put in the ball, add some more wadding, ram the whole lot home, and put a bit of powder into the flashpan. This is a slow, two-handed process, which means you're not going to be defending yourself at the same time.

If I understand correctly, you want pistols to need to be sheathed before they can reload, but two-handed weapons such as muskets can reload while still drawn for combat. At best, that's the wrong way round, as large two-handed firearms would be slower to reload. Realistically, if you took the time to start reloading either a pistol or musket, you wouldn't finish before someone stuck a sword (or bayonet) into you. The advantage of a big, two-handed firearm is that it does a lot more damage with one shot, as you know if you've been on the receiving end of one. The disadvantage is that the bayonet isn't as effective as a sword, which is probably why standard land battle technique was to line up your soldiers facing the enemy's line and trade musket shots, rather than close for melee combat.

Anyway, there's a variable in "InternalSettings.h", CANNOT_RELOAD_WHILE_FIGHTING, which controls this. It's set to 1 by default, but if you set it to 0 then you can reload while in combat.

I knew everything about that and I understand you means quite correctly, but, at first, this is not a strategic gаме for me to set my soldiers into the straight line.
At second, nobody can kill enemy by one shot from musket in latest game stages (also, all of my officers shooting at one person everytime, if we have two or more enemies). At third, CANNOT_RELOAD_WHILE_FIGHTING==0 not helping with recharging musket, if it twohanded. I do not stupid, at least, and I know a lot about work this weapons in reality...But realism and gamebalance is not the same things mostly...
So I repeat: I get the point, you are right, delete this part of my changes as fast as you can.
Thanks for the tips about configurations...but I not a newbie, I work at game code to get MY kind of balance everytime when I dont like something, then I play it...default 1 allows player recharging in combat, just as 0...only 2 is blocking that feature

Back