• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Feature Request Glow effect on character and ship button in select storyline

Pieter Boelen

Navigation Officer
Administrator
Storm Modder
Hearts of Oak Donator
What i would have expected to see is a highlight when you mouse over it. That's what most people come to expect from an interface like that, i'd imagine. Most menus in the game do already have this functionaility, so it should be possible to copy over some code from somewhere.
That sounds decidedly NOT easy to add. The game's interface coding is annoying at the best of times; a royal pain at worst.
Though maybe @Levis has some not-too-difficult ideas?

In what menus do you have automatic tool tips??? The only ones I'm aware of require you to right-click on the interface items to get the details.
But then you might as well left-click and get to see the actual interfaces, rather than right-clicking it and it basically telling you to left-click instead. :facepalm

That sounds decidedly NOT easy to add. The game's interface coding is annoying at the best of times; a royal pain at worst.
Though maybe @Levis has some not-too-difficult ideas?

In what menus do you have automatic tool tips??? The only ones I'm aware of require you to right-click on the interface items to get the details.
But then you might as well left-click and get to see the actual interfaces, rather than right-clicking it and it basically telling you to left-click instead. :facepalm

They're not tooltips, they're just a yellow box around whatever you're holding your mouse on. The stock interface had that.

I'm currently trying to use your method to turn claire hostile, but it's not working so far. Maybe because she's a quest character?

EDIT: nevermind, i'm getting there! Now to see if thsi works...

They're not tooltips, they're just a yellow box around whatever you're holding your mouse on. The stock interface had that.
Oh, you mean just the "highlighting"? It does indeed do that for some buttons.
But "some" isn't all and in a click-able interface picture may not be enough of a "button" to support that.

@Levis: Do you know how to add that? I seem to remember asking about it in another interfaces ages ago, but I admittedly can't remember where.
Might have been for the "Served Nation" indication in F2>Questbook (currently done with larger yellow text) and F2>Nations Relations (not there at all, but ideally should be).

Oh, you mean just the "highlighting"? It does indeed do that for some buttons.
But "some" isn't all and in a click-able interface picture may not be enough of a "button" to support that.

@Levis: Do you know how to add that? I seem to remember asking about it in another interfaces ages ago, but I admittedly can't remember where.
Might have been for the "Served Nation" indication in F2>Questbook (currently done with larger yellow text) and F2>Nations Relations (not there at all, but ideally should be).
I could look at it. I have some ideas about how to add a hover text and would like to use that in the character interface too so it would show which things actually increase/decrease your skill level. But do you mind if we move that to the next release :p? Doing interface work is often a pain in the ****

about the boxsizes @Mirsaneli try sailing into another ship and/or the shore too and make sure godmode is disabled

I could look at it. I have some ideas about how to add a hover text and would like to use that in the character interface too so it would show which things actually increase/decrease your skill level.
In this case, we were only wondering about the "glowy" effect around interface elements when you hover your mouse over them.
I've got no clue how easy/hard that is. But I suspect hard.

But do you mind if we move that to the next release :p?
Do not mind at all.

Doing interface work is often a pain in the ****
Yes, it bloody well is! :whipa

In this case, we were only wondering about the "glowy" effect around interface elements when you hover your mouse over them.
I've got no clue how easy/hard that is. But I suspect hard.
shouldn't be hard I believe. As long as the texures for the glowy thing exist, and I believe they do cause they are used in the perk interface, but only with clicking...

Highlighted and glowey:
upload_2015-12-7_23-8-12.png

So where isn't this glow working because its default behavior for textbuttons...

So where isn't this glow working because its default behavior for textbuttons...
@morgan terror was suggesting having it around the Character and Ship pictures in the Select Storyline Interface.
This to indicate that they are click-able. But those aren't at all "text buttons". :no

@morgan terror was suggesting having it around the Character and Ship pictures in the Select Storyline Interface.
This to indicate that they are click-able. But those aren't at all "text buttons". :no
if there is an imagine in the right size with the glow in it and alpha chanel set so it can be overlaid I believe by using the activate and deactivate commands in the interface ini I call events which overlay the image to create the glow. This is also how the textbox does it but its doing it somewhere hidden. I do remember seeing the glow texture somewhere.

if there is an imagine in the right size with the glow in it and alpha chanel set so it can be overlaid I believe by using the activate and deactivate commands in the interface ini I call events which overlay the image to create the glow. This is also how the textbox does it but its doing it somewhere hidden. I do remember seeing the glow texture somewhere.
Like this?
upload_2015-12-7_23-33-53.png

Yes. It should be resized to fit the buttons you want to "glow".
If thats done I should be able to make it work (I HOPE :p).

Back