• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

GOF 1.1.x - Discussion thread

buho

Privateer
Storm Modder
This thread is for discussion of the GOF 1.1.x modpack.

The official information and downloads links are in: http://forum.piratesahoy.net/index.php/topic/18065-gof-11x-download-links-and-documentation/#entry405605

For bug reporting use the bug tracker in http://forum.piratesahoy.net//index.php?/tracker/project-4-combined-modpack/
There is not a category for GOF 1.1.x in the tracker. Use the GOF 1.1 category and tell us in your post what 1.1.x version are you using.

Enjoy.

For all those interested, this is an unofficial patch but is fully approved by the GoF! modding team. We all hope this patch will alive some of the issues that has been reported over the past few months. We're still working on the 1.2 patch and are trying hard to get it live.

Some remarks on GOF 1.1.1

GOF 1.1.1 doesn't require a new game start.

GOF 1.1.1 uses the "dismasting hack", ship dismasting is not possible.

Some ships are gone. Read the "IMPORTANT NOTES".

Take a look to EMS and RML documentation. Both mods changed dialogs and screens. Old players may become confused.

Wait till the new month before talking with the moneylenders. You can't get the generated interests till the new month ticks. Retiring the invested capital will make them lost. Check the cash book to see if the system accounted them.

Unmooring your moored ships will cost you some money. It is not much and EMS 2.0 is based on monthly fees. EMS 1.0 users: you are paying your moored crew salaries now. At reduced price, but paying. Check the moored ships screen to know your new operational costs.

Cheers.
buho (A).

hey guys a suggestion i thinks its awesome if we try to put more detail and more awesome ship cannon decks depending on ur ship sizes and i guess the dutchman needs its kraken calling ability to make more davy jones an exiting oponent haha and new content which enbles player to go walk in ship decks while in battle or go to cannon deck and see ur crew load the awesome guns while in battle i know it sound a lot of work and head ache patients but i think this will make the game awesome a suggestion only;) guys what program did u use to mod this game? and where did pieter boelen go?

Pieter is at sea for what I know.

Your ideas are all about graphics, I can't how doable they are: I'm a coder. I can convert a BMP to JPG if badly needed, but I need a couple trys to have it done.

Having the crew loading the cannons I think will need new model animations and I don't know if the team can produce them.

As for tools, being a coder I use Notepad++. The guys working with graphics and models have a bunch of others... but I think it is better to use another thread to talk about it.

Cheers.
buho (A).

Pieter is at sea for what I know.

Your ideas are all about graphics, I can't how doable they are: I'm a coder. I can convert a BMP to JPG if badly needed, but I need a couple trys to have it done.

Having the crew loading the cannons I think will need new model animations and I don't know if the team can produce them.

As for tools, being a coder I use Notepad++. The guys working with graphics and models have a bunch of others... but I think it is better to use another thread to talk about it.

Cheers.
buho (A).
yeah that will be soo cool to see ur men loading guns while in real combat no longer need loading screens to go in decks gun deck just switch to 1st person and go walk by ur self and see ur men arranging the guns loading it with stuffs just like in napoleon total war animations it soo epic! and davy jones really needs his kraken

yeah that will be soo cool to see ur men loading guns while in real combat no longer need loading screens to go in decks gun deck just switch to 1st person and go walk by ur self and see ur men arranging the guns loading it with stuffs just like in napoleon total war animations it soo epic! and davy jones really needs his kraken.
Well if you consider how much work that is I think not that this is doable... the resources of the team are limited.

All are working hard to improve the game but we have to be realistic not everthing can be achived. And requests like this are more suited for the Alpha&Brainstorming thread.
;)

i downloaded new patches, and they are pretty good. :onya

However, I don't like prices, especially when leaving officers in taverns. I had 8 officers, all level 30 - 40, and had to pay for them almost 1 500 000 piasters (pieces of eight) for 6 months. I thought that I'll pay them about 300 - 400k, not 1.5m. Maybe prices could be more realistic? :shrug

And prices for keeping stuff at storekeeper are ok, but are they always same? Maybe they could "change" depending on items prices + standard fee for "guards"?

Btw, I like those changes in log book and moneylender changes. :yes

That's all, have fun! :cheers

Well... the idea is the prices being a robbery, to stay somewhat in line with the original game.

For officers you can mix the old "get ships and moor them" method with the new one. Mooring is cheap now and at 5 ships/port it is easy to moor most of your officers.

For trinkets, the price is based on weight. If you are not a "pack rat" you are going to hit the minimum fee; if you like to hoard everything you get (like me) things will change. If you have few things to keep, use your officers as keepers.

The fee equations are in Program\BUHO_Utils.c, in the functions CTD_GetCabinItemsStoreMonthlyFee and CTD_GetHotelMonthlyFee. Take a look there, it is easy to make changes (you need to close the game and open it again).

Cheers.
buho (A).

Where can I find screenshots of the new officers and ships and how to get them?
Or is there a thread stickied somewhere so that people can post screenshots of the new features of the game?

GOF 1.1.x have neither new officers nor new ships, actually it have less ships than GOF 1.1; all new features of GOF 1.1.x are documented in the "GOF 1.1.x Documentation" folder into the game root folder.

Cheers.
buho (A).

GOF 1.1.2 KNOWN ISSUES

1) Port fee payment is obscure and unfriendly: if the player have no money in the moneylenders the crew payment is blocked.

2) The companion boarding screen pops up for allied ships and even when an enemy ship seizes a friendly ship.

ADDED: I'm delayed here due to some crash reports in the bug tracker: I'm not sure if they are CBS bugs or instalation problems, I'm waiting for the reporters to make it clear.

Cheers.
buho (A).

I'm not sure if this was an accident or if it was done on purpose, so I decided to post it here. For some reason, the cutters have been replaced by luggers, and one of the brigs (fast brig, I think it was) has three masts.

By the way, I do feel that six month's boarding in a small tavern for a few officers is not worth over a million pieces of eight...

I do like the new officers, but it might be cool if we had marines and other officers from each nation that are hireable, for more authenticity.

I'm not sure if this was an accident or if it was done on purpose, so I decided to post it here. For some reason, the cutters have been replaced by luggers, and one of the brigs (fast brig, I think it was) has three masts.

By the way, I do feel that six month's boarding in a small tavern for a few officers is not worth over a million pieces of eight...

I do like the new officers, but it might be cool if we had marines and other officers from each nation that are hireable, for more authenticity.

Some ships have been replaced because they crashed the game. The changelog have a list of replaced ships.

Licensing officers is an expensive service, but you still have the "normal" options, like mooring all them in cheap ships.

Cheers.
buho (A).

Some things still seem a bit out of ballance (to me):

Crew salary: With increasing difficulty level the costs explode - beyond anything reasonable.
They are all filthy rich men! We are talking GOLD pieces here!
On the other hand, one could argue that with the life expectancy of a sailor in GoF that's not even close to what it should be ...but then, both parts are blown out of proportion.
A mariner doesn't survive the first month! (except officers 'f course). Was life/battle at sea really that insanely bloody?
I know, we have more hostie encounters than real life, but even so, this all seems a bit harsh. It's murder out there!
Maby you could introduce "wounded" status?

Personal skills are still much slower to develope than ship skills. Even if you mass-re-murder skeletons.
With that in mind - ships skills are all at 100 just around mid-game (with the exception of the repair-skill).
This is with average exp setting. Maby the average should take a bit longer, since this should represent the "recommended setting"

And one more thing: It is practically impossible to make a profit as a trader from the start. Once you have a tresurer ...sure! But solo? No way!
That tresurer has to be found and bought first and so one could argue that it is impossible to START as a trader.

Great Mod, thanks guys!

Its almost impossible to hit anything in a battle at the start of the game but with a good gunner and improvements made to the skills you start to hit things a little easier. My point been balance, how far is it to go before we say the game is more balanced. So you have to do a little work before you can be a true trader buying and selling your own goods, if i could i would have made it so you start with no ship and have to work your way up to that point which is when i would say its more balanced. But making it so you can trade from the start is just improving the game difficulty because once you can do solo trading you will make lots of peices of eight and before you know it you'll be rolling in it. So making it so you can do solo trading from the start in effect pushes any reason to do merchant missions out of the way. The vanilla game was harder to start solo trading we made it a little easier as to when you could start but not to easy that you would be starting straight away.

You're probably right. But maby one could take the edge off with a starting officer - according to your career path.
Peter Blood gets a canoneer AND a navigator... (plus a kickass ship)

Something completely different:
Is Authority/Leadership important for a Bosun? Or does only your own skill count there?

And one more question:
How the hell do you keep scoundrels and sharks happy in this mod?

Blood's ship is a bucket of failure. You have nothing close to the skill to navigate it at game start, and the thing's value is 0, so you can't even sell it (the cannons are worth a bit, at least). I generally scuttle it in barbados harbor, opting to board one of the pursuers, unless I really want the cannon cash. Fact is, by the time you can use it, you'll have a better ship in a lower class.

As for officers, you need to be a bad person to keep dishonest officers happy, which is a bit harder in 1.1.x as surrendering has been disabled. Still, decrease your rep and low rep officers will follow you.

You don't need the Arabella ship or Frigate as its game name is, you will see them generated in fleets from time to time which wasn't possible in the stock game. But because that ship was linked only to the Blood questline and was only available to use after sailing out of Bridgetown it was decided to unlock that ship in the game so its available with any character. How often you will see one generated is going to be rare but with 140+ ships in the game you can see why its still a rare ship to find and even harder with realistic ship purchase turned on.

Leadership effects a few things, which gives it a very important reason to increase and it allows you to be able to hire more officers.

As Darkhymn said you need to be bad yourself in order to keep the scandrals happy, the more dishonest you are the more happier your dishonest officers will be. I personally try to get only good officers so i don't have to worry about them sailing off with a prize ship i captured at some point.

Back