• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Mod Release GOF Eras - HD Inventory Weapons and Items (v1.0)

TheBlackKnight

Corsaire Flibustier
Storm Modder
Pirate Legend
All,

1 MAR 2014 - The mod has been released!

A full HD sub-project in the works regarding weapons, pistols, and items to substantially improve graphic quality in game.
This mod upgrades over 380+ inventory items in game to high definition using the actual game models if available.
This MOD is specific for release to GOF Eras ONLY, and is NOT compatible with GOF 1.2 or 2.0 without further modification because of the amount of additional items that were added to the game.
This is a texture file replacement set and does not change game code, so no new game is required.

Main Download Link:

The Black Knight's CoAS Mods Dropbox - 8 HD Inventory Pack (v1.0) (GOF Eras Only)
(Go to the Downloads Section at top of PA! page)

Download Size: 334 MB
Uncompressed Size: 640 MB

Installation instructions:

1) Prepare for backup! Store your inventory item files (items#.tga.tx files) in a safe place.
2) Download GOF Eras - HD Inventory Pack.zip
2) Extract all files to a separate directory
3) Copy all item texture files files to resource/textures/interfaces
4) Enjoy the game and keep playing!

BACKGROUND:

MK did great work on the new items for inclusion in the GOF Eras mod, but many of the other items were the still slightly upgraded versions from the Russian mod or completely from the original game code.

I conducted high quality model capture using the game files and get the full HD versions to include in this MOD with all texture files set to 2048X2048 (max MIP quality) with the same artistic flair that was used for both the mod and the game design.

The results are spectacular as I was able to capture the fine details of each of the in game weapons, maps, and items.

(NOTE: I did not replace everything, I only upgraded weapons and items that were the low quality versions (non-MK) which mostly include stock swords and weapons, pistols, generic items, maps, unique rare items, consumables, and quest items)

Any item "spots" you see in the preview below that are blank, are blank for reason. These were items that were not used in the GOF Eras mod, or not used at all because the pages were partial extracts from POTEHO items were originally created.

Every item replaced was reproduced to replicate the original desired game effect and type of item including scale, colors, direction of placement, shadows, and backgrounds.
This way you still recognize the items from the original game and things don't "look out of place".

80 swords were upgraded, only three were omitted due to original poor model quality until I can find a suitable replacement or overhaul the models themselves (annotated with a red "r" in the left upper corner of the inventory picture). All pistols were enhanced, replaced, or improved.

Some personal graphic liberties were taken to improve some of the original items, such as the Narwhal Pendant and Mummy Powder, that did not convey the intended effect well.
This includes Aztec, Mayan, and religious items to match the culture of the period.
I actually was surprised to find that many of the Aztec items by the original Russian developers were actually factual Meso-American items when doing research for modification, but many were not correct in use.

All item resolution quality has been increased 4X over the original game (at minimum).
Some items resolutions are well over 10X-50X the originals when I could locate a comparable replacement, with very crisp details and realism if possible.

For a professional polished look, I am including some personal item photos (including weapons and pistols) which I own that are very close to their game counterparts.

Final version is set for use in widescreen resolutions (1680X1050 and above) which is why some of the items look "narrow" in the screen capture. In game they look normal at a 16:9, 16:10 or 21:9 aspect ratio.

All items have the proper gold inner edging in the inventory menus.
You will know which items were replaced without guessing...
You can even read the text on letters and maps and the detail is exceptional.
Progress was slow due to fine detail involved and properly fixing aspect ratios.
Some items required complete vector redraw captures, such as the Aztec Jade Skull, ALL Totems, and the Double Barrel Carbine which now looks photo realistic.

GUI fixes were also implemented in this mod such as the "Bag of Coins" inventory item was moved up, so now it does not overlap your amount in possession and is much easier to see in game. That is of course until you have pieces of eight in the millions...

NOTE:
One thing I did to help new players is the "color coding" of item backgrounds for reference on quality.
In the original game, it seems almost seemed random at times.
This has now been fixed.
You will know now if you have something really special when you divvy up the loot...

Generic items usually have just a "plain yellow" background or wood planking as per original game with a few variations (such as green velvet) thrown in for treasure, rings, and such to get good contrast.

However, many quest items (not all) still have plain yellow to avoid spoiling surprises.

Reading items such as letters, letters of marque, and trade licenses have a "parchment" background.

Weapons, armor, and other important tools are color coded in four levels (with a few exceptions for rare weapons and Aztec tools to match cultural colors):

Black (Smoke and Leather), Plain Yellow, Parchment, Wood Planking - Lowest
Blue (Satin or Velvet) - Middle
Gold (Satin and Velvet)- High
Red (Satin, Dark, Velvet) - Highest

Cheers to the captain!

HD Inventory Items at work in game:

HD Inventory At Work.jpg

Preview of all UPDATED items (very low quality resolution):

HD Items Master.jpg

Last edited:
All,

High Resolution Inventory Items and Icons Pack is moving on nicely.
Should be finished in a couple of weeks or so.
I still have finish upgrades of generic items to their real life counterparts, some quest items and quite a few swords.

All,

Another update.
I have around 290+ items upgraded, and around 15 pages completed for around 1.25 GB of texture files.
Actually download size when completed should be much less around 650 MB when everything is done.

Last edited:
All,

I have decided to redo some the models in the inventory to provide the same level of quality as the rest mod, because I am not satisfied with the angles of some weapons.
Basically, I have to do gm model shots, extract the details and then reimport them for texture work.

Last edited:
That is quite a difference. So the Bilbo is from Poteho eh?

Quite a few of the "upgraded" weapons are: including weapons such as the "Licorne" and "Light Shell Hilted Cutlass".

Anytime you see a very complicated multi-component composite weapon texture, its almost always an imported POTEHO weapon.
Very common for weapons such as the arquebus that have well over 10 components to make the whole model work correctly and look sharp.

The bilbo is a good example, but it has its flaws which were corrected in the picture, no high quality rapier would have that much of the tang sticking out of the guard, as it would weaken the weapon when fighting.

Last edited:
Ah, all of the best weapons then. I recently acquired a Dussage cutlass. Quite a piece of work and methinks MK made that one himself as he talked about it here not long ago.

Ah, all of the best weapons then. I recently acquired a Dussage cutlass. Quite a piece of work and methinks MK made that one himself as he talked about it here not long ago.

Yes, the Dussage Cutlass is an MK model.
Not really historical sword with its kris style saw tooth edge (very hard to make not very practical) , but is fun to use.
He used Dawg's sword out of Cutthroat Island as a baseline image.

cutthroatisland2.jpg

All,

The day is coming for full release.
I just completed final part of the 380+ items.
I overhauled every major item in the game including all but three weapons to which were unsuitable due to low model and graphic quality (these items have a red "r" in the left corner, which I both replace the image and the model at a later date).

Every item either uses a high resolution game model extract, a MK enhanced version of his original graphics, or its real life counterpart, all in glorious high definition!

This MOD release will be specific to GOF Eras only based on the way that MK used the items in the game.
The final download will be ~650 MB.

All final image texture files are 2048X2048, 32 bit, max mip quality files, scaled for widescreen aspect ratio (16:9 and 16:10) at resolutions 1680X1050 and above.
No new game is required, just drop them in your game folder and you are good to go.

Full preview of the Master List is on the main post at a extremely reduced quality images.

I am particularly proud of my Aztec totems that really bring out the color of the gods.
Anytime you see a "blank space" this means the item was not in this mod, or was not used at all because it was a partial import page from POTEHO.

Once this mod is released, it is unlikely I will go back and edit files because the work is monsterously time consuming.

Any future updates will add additional period swords and pistols, but will have to wait to complement MK's work and would require a new game based on edited item files.

In any case, this will bring the swagger back into your pirate step and really enhance your game.

Last edited:
Above screenshots most certainly look epic! Well done, mate. :onya

Wait to you see the final version of the HD Portraits and GUI, same level of quality.
Portraits is going to be HUGE, probably in excess of 1.5 GB compressed, but not be compatible with GOF 2.0 unless modified.

GUI will be in the 650 MB range, and compatible with GOF 2.0.

There still are things that can be done to improve visual quality of the game and not kill performance.
The biggest being FONT quality, which I have also fixed.

Holy crap! Are you going to make a slightly smaller version as well for "normal" users? :shock

Holy crap! Are you going to make a slightly smaller version as well for "normal" users? :shock

Yes, I am planning for a HD Portraits "light" version.
Quality will significantly suffer however.

Each HD individual character portrait uses 4 separate files, the largest is 22 MB (2048X2048) to the smallest 1.33 MB (512X512).
I had to do this in order to 4X quality consistency for each image, and make it properly scale for GUI usage.
Multiplying this by the number of characters (~150 or so: hero, quest, primary) and all four files together and that is why it ends up being so large.

Ship portraits texture files are easier, because they scale from one source file each.
GUI texture files are each done independently with no impact to other game file if done correctly.

Back