• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Mod Release GOF - High Quality "21 Game" Card Deck PLUS+ REVISIT (v1.3)

TheBlackKnight

Corsaire Flibustier
Storm Modder
Pirate Legend
All,

For all these years I was annoyed at the the low quality of the playing cards in the "21 game" in CoAS.

They were always very hard to read, and I hated constantly doing extra math in my head with counting the pips on the cards.

So, I decide to fix this problem once and for all.

Using vector graphics, I completely overhauled all the cards to FULL High Definition.
All files are 2048X2048, max MIP size.

(You can go astronomically higher in resolution, but file size grows exponentially, and game performance begins to suffer regardless of your computer specifications....)

Aspect ratio (~16:9) of the image files is set for resolutions 1680X1050 and above.

Although the card style is not purely "period", the cards have been aged and dirtied with dust and scratches accordingly with appropriate colors to keep with the design of the game.

In addition, I remade a new desk background that is used for the wood planking (which is also used for the F2 interface function), added new proper period coins to the card file (Spanish Silver Reale and Gold Doubloon), and , and created a new "sukno" background when playing with governors for big stakes.

UPDATE
Red contrast ratio and white color matching fixed on cards.
Distinct edging on coins added.
Adjusted contrast color on card backs to match card deck.
Sharpened cards for easier reading.

UPDATE - v1.3
Did a quick revisit to see if I could increase the quality again without impacting performance.
I was successful, so now the version has been upgraded to v1.3, with a cleaner version and parchment background for the cards. Visibility is excellent.
The file is a separate sub-folder in the HD Card mod directory.

DOWNLOAD LINK:

The Black Knight's CoAS Mods Dropbox - HD Playing Cards PLUS+ MOD v1.2

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9hgkt5o5mk1bwwe/UBQZhrQrs7

Download Size: 24.5 MB
Unzipped Size: 64 MB

Included with directory structure:
1) card_all.tga.tx
2) card_desk.tga.tx
3) card_sukno.tga.tx

Alternative TGA file for French Gold Coin if you want to convert yourself

Just unzip and replace in your game directory.
Backups are recommended.

Coins on card_all.tga.tx are also used for dice.
Backgrounds are used for both games

Preview (Low Resolution Photos):

Card Pack.jpg

Full Pack.jpg

Version 1.3 Updated to higher quality:

HD Cards Revisited.jpg

Cheers and may luck and fortune be with you every roll of the dice or in this case the deal of the cards!

Last edited:
I did a quick revisit to see if I could increase the quality again without impacting performance.
I was successful, so now the version has been upgraded to v1.3, with a cleaner version and parchment background for the cards.
Visibility is excellent.
The card_all.tga.tx file is downloadable separate sub-folder in the my CoAS Mod - HD Card mod directory.

HD Cards Revisited.jpg

Back