• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Mod Release GOF Historical Eras Module #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you very much for the supportive words Thomas and Zack. I'm still plugging away - Just at a slower pace. I've managed to get the mod down to an almost manageable size now. I added a couple more items in the last week and made some additional substitutions.

You know Thomas that most of my professional friends own Macs and that the ones that are gamers use windows emulators. One of my friends that's a tester is running GOF Eras on his Mac. I think a lot of the emulators are actually freeware. I'm flattered that you check the thread so often. As an old POTC salt whose work I very much respect (especially uniforms), that means a lot. Thanks my friend!

Here's some progress screens for you. I substituted the low level potion with bandages. I like that aspect in POTC so much better (more realistic) and also had several recommendations by fans to change that same thing. You may also be interested in the ship I'm working on at the moment.I modeled this skin off Van de Veldes sketches of the Gouda. If you look closely at much of the scrollwork it is not my own. I literally lifted it from the Van de Velde drawings and cut it up and colored it. So Van de Velde's work is now in a video game. Simulated life imitates art.....or something....:yes

MK

start_130501_2351310.JPG
start_130501_2351365.JPG
start_130512_0057182.JPG

Great to see a Historically accurate Mod.
Thank you.
I will reinstall the game when you release this.
:onya

Since the current size of games seems to be in the 18-35 gb range, I for one would be happy with a base .exe of 2 gb with a link to a server or torrent to get the rest. If a torrent is used everyone who gets the .exe could then help seed it.

An .exe AND a .torrent? That sounds a little bit weird...? :confused:
How many people do and don't know how to use Torrent?

Look at how Steam does it. You buy a game, install it from the disc, and then you have to download a ton of stuff before you can play it. That's how it's done these days.

I have learned and forgotten how to use a torrent twice. Third time's the charm! Besides, I now have a 3.2mbs connection and want to use it.

Look at how Steam does it. You buy a game, install it from the disc, and then you have to download a ton of stuff before you can play it. That's how it's done these days.
That program is AMAZINGLY annoying! The other day I just wanted to quickly fire up the only Steam-game I've got (Napoleon: Total War) and I had to wait about 45 minutes just to update the client program.
I just want to be able to play the game I paid for AND already have installed, dammit!!!! :pirate41:

I wanted to stay away from torrents, because there are still some potential vulnerability problems with them for the uninitiated.

I have the mod down to about 5GB now (that's way better than 22) I still have about four or five ships to finish up and I just imported some new content from some Russian mods. I'm still lurking around Corsairs Harbor. That's a great site by the way with a lot of good mods. I'm doing comparisons of code in their mods to ours - to get things they were able to achieve into GOF. I especially still want the below deck fight capability and think I am SOOOO close to getting this in.

They actually successfully wrote new quests for COAS. I may try to import one in the future but that's too much translation for me to get into GOF for right now. I am still trying to get the POTC Island and city of Bonaire as it appears in their mods imported into GOF Eras. If I can just get one colony imported, it means I could litterarly add all of them in the future - and that would be a great first step to truly merging New Horizons and GOF.

I am in Georgia at my son's wedding this week so not modding much...have my laptop.

MK

I have the mod down to about 5GB now (that's way better than 22)
That is after 7-Zipping it up? Indeed that IS much better! :yes

They actually successfully wrote new quests for COAS.
As far as I've been able to tell, PotC and CoAS have pretty much exactly the same quest system, so it doesn't surprise me at all that is possible.

I am still trying to get the POTC Island and city of Bonaire as it appears in their mods imported into GOF Eras. If I can just get one colony imported, it means I could litterarly add all of them in the future
What is that exactly? Adding more islands? Or replacing existing town locations with PotC-based ones?
As far as I can tell, the CoAS worldmap is large enough, so I don't see much purpose in adding more islands.

and that would be a great first step to truly merging New Horizons and GOF.
Now that WOULD be a tremendous achievement! If only I had the enthusiasm to do it and not such a painful wrist (I had that before and now that I WALK on the thing, it hasn't improved),
I might be able to do something as well. Oh well; I've got some months left to go. Hopefully I will get round to achieving something.
Had been thinking of trying to merge the German Edition modpack with the English game version so that we'd end up with that mod in English.
Would that be helpful in any way?

Yes that would be helpful Pieter. They cleaned a lot of things up and are using "engine 2" that Pirate KK initially started working on.

The reasons for more islands and towns is more variety. You know me.....more is better! LOL

Plus - The POTC locations are just way better than COAS in my opinion. Having both would rule and you can imagine my surprise when I stumbled into them while playing SOFS - I was like "This is from POTC!!!!"

I know what you mean about enthusiasm. I don't know if I am up to doing more mods after Eras is released. I want to get a bigger boat for long distance cruizing. So I think I may come out of retirement and take a high powered exec, PM or Dev job full time for a year or two just to make enough cash for the boat and financing a circumnavigation which has always been a life goal for me. Obviously my gaming and modding would pretty much come down to a trickle if/when I go back to work.

MK

Yes that would be helpful Pieter. They cleaned a lot of things up and are using "engine 2" that Pirate KK initially started working on.
Yep, I know that. We gave that code to them, but they managed to make it work, which is pretty cool in my book. :yes

The reasons for more islands and towns is more variety. You know me.....more is better! LOL
To a certain extent, yes. But I always figured more locations are only better if there are interesting characters and stories that make use of them.

Plus - The POTC locations are just way better than COAS in my opinion. Having both would rule and you can imagine my surprise when I stumbled into them while playing SOFS - I was like "This is from POTC!!!!"
That's for sure! The PotC locations really are very good. Though I like having some AoP/CoAS ones in New Horizons for variety, but those just look like generic towns while the PotC ones are clearly nation-specific.
And of course Thomas the Terror's national colours have helped a lot there too. :yes

I know what you mean about enthusiasm. I don't know if I am up to doing more mods after Eras is released. I want to get a bigger boat for long distance cruizing. So I think I may come out of retirement and take a high powered exec, PM or Dev job full time for a year or two just to make enough cash for the boat and financing a circumnavigation which has always been a life goal for me. Obviously my gaming and modding would pretty much come down to a trickle if/when I go back to work.
As much as I appreciate your efforts on modding, if you have the choice between modding and circumnavigating the globe as you have always wanted, CHOOSE THE LATTER!!! :whipa

I can not await the release. Hope it is coming soon.
Thank you for your work, everything is looking excellent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back