• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Mod Release GOF Historical Eras Module #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello. I am a longtime fan of the sailing ships of the 17th century and pirated games, so your mod is very interesting for me. Your ship models are very beautiful, magnificent.:onya
I have a question. Are you going to make models of small sailing vessels (yachts, sloops, etc.), merchant vessels late 17th century? I wish you success in creating mod.
ps I apologize for my English.

When I get back from vacation - who knows how long that will be :D I am retired and on my own schedule.....It is basically done but I dont have a remote connection with the girth and speed to hang it somewhere way out here in the middle of nowhere. I'm lucky to have this uplink now.

If I'd had some help it would have been finished months ago. No one really cares about modding COAS. By busting up the modders by nationality we were basically disbanded.

It will be finished and released I can assure you. I will drink another beer and think about:cheers PA!

I know my posts have not been missed so I will have another as well...:drunk

MK

If I'd had some help it would have been finished months ago. No one really cares about modding COAS. By busting up the modders by nationality we were basically disbanded.
That does seem to be the case. I was really sorry when things went that way. Unfortunately my attempts to get people to work together failed quite miserably.
I know the feeling of not getting any help. While we do have several people working on PotC, I end up doing a lot of stuff myself.
Would be much better to spread the load, but that requires people willing and capable do to it. And those are scarce. :facepalm

I know my posts have not been missed so I will have another as well...:drunk
No clue where you got that from. Not even remotely close to being true though. :8q

it was mar 23,2013 when i was reading: "Public Beta 2 link here: (coming soon)"
Sorry, I´m just a simple pirate and consumer of this forum - not able to mod anything. Since march I´m watching this pages and hoping for good news. To bad - nothing happens.
Can You please tell what is meant by "coming soon" actually ?
Please do not rate my question as a sign of disrespect towards your work.The opposite is the case.
And excuse my english, I´m just a simple pirate...

Modern Knight is off on sabbatical, touring the North American continent. We will all have to wait until he returns to find out more about his Eras mod.

it was mar 23,2013 when i was reading: "Public Beta 2 link here: (coming soon)"
Sorry, I´m just a simple pirate and consumer of this forum - not able to mod anything. Since march I´m watching this pages and hoping for good news. To bad - nothing happens.
Can You please tell what is meant by "coming soon" actually ?
Please do not rate my question as a sign of disrespect towards your work.The opposite is the case.
And excuse my english, I´m just a simple pirate...

Thanks for running interference Hylie

@Delestre and all others that are waiting or pissed off at me,

In two or three weeks I should be somewhere with a good enough connection to hang the mod.

Please look at this from my point of view. This mod while immensely fun and rewarding to play for myself has been a point of great frustration for me.

1. COAS modders broken up by multiple efforts and nationality so that no common team effort has been able to happen since

2. The ship model that I commissioned and paid for that was going to be the showcase of the whole mod has not been completed

3. Capabilities that I desperately wanted in my mod that exist in others, I have had to learn on my own how to import because I could get no help from anyone - even after begging and pleading numerous times. Months were wasted while I figured these things out when all it would have taken was for one of the knowledgeable modders that knew how - to quickly show me or give me the relevant code. NOTE: There are still a couple items I'm STILL trying to implement. If I had had help here, this mod would have been finished months ago - probably a year ago.

4. Constant bashing of COAS and mods as not as good as other games and mods even though bashers have never even played it - along with a general lack of interest in working on COAS mods by the community. The result in tandem with the above is that I have been basically solo for this whole mod effort. If I had consistent help, this mod would have been finished months ago.

5. In the words of Master Yoda......"MMMMMM PATIENCE!" This mod IS the best COAS mod ever! You will be blown away with what I have managed to do and the immense amount of additional content I've managed to get into this mod all by my little self - just imagine if I'd had a team.

I apologize I announced this in the first place. I thought I was almost done. I just had so many breakthroughs. Much of the stuff I've done was immensely time consuming. I have spent literally hundreds of hours of my life making this mega-mod and it will be released I promise you. It plays so stable and is my favorite game in the universe.

So I will say it again.....coming soon. I worked for the US Army for 24 years and came out of it a Colonel. I think I deserve the break I am taking. I've seen places I thought I would never see and rekindled old friendships I thought were dead. I've seen family I haven't seen in decades.

MK

1. That really was incredibly unfortunate. I really wished modding for CoAS could have continued and I really haven't the foggiest what happened to the other modders. o_O

3. In many, many cases, if you want something done, you have to do it yourself. I've run into that VERY frequently myself and it really is most unfortunate.
For the past several months, I've been doing a lot of fixing and finishing of other peoples' work. That's indeed not the greatest. :facepalm

4. I'm not sure if that is directed at the PotC modders, but I hope not. I know I've tried to support the CoAS modding back in the early days, but there's only so much I can do.
Indeed I've never much played CoAS with or without any modpacks, but I never claimed it is inferior to PotC. All I've ever said is that PotC + modpack is NOT inferior to CoAS.
A lot of people DO seem to prefer CoAS, even if it is just for the simple reason of it being a newer game. But as far as I know, it IS a pretty good game to begin with. :yes

This mod IS the best COAS mod ever! You will be blown away with what I have managed to do and the immense amount of additional content I've managed to get into this mod all by my little self
I'll very much believe you on that! And a proper GOOD mod for CoAS would be MOST welcome. Because right now, things are really confusing.
People KEEP asking me "what is the best CoAS mod" and I really haven't the foggiest. GoF 1.2 is buggy, from what I understand. And GoF 2.0 isn't properly finished and released.

just imagine if I'd had a team.
That's always the problem. On PotC, the actual modding team for quite a while has consisted of Armada and me. A two-person team isn't a lot of manpower either.
Other people might drop by occasionally and do a thing or two, but that's about it.
For crying out loud, I've been fixing long-standing programming bugs lately that a lot of REAL programmers we had for a while never did.
But why is it me doing it, I do wonder. Because otherwise it'll NEVER HAPPEN, that's why. But I don't like it. :(

And the same issue is hampering the Hearts of Oak concept as well.
There never are many people willing to contribute. And there are even less with the people who ARE there spread out in stupid fashion.

Have you SEEN how MANY piratey/seafaring computer games of some kind are being developed? Instead of people just developing ONE truly GOOD one.
But noooooo......

My dear, dear mister MK.

I do not know you at all, and we have barely even posted on the same threads. (at least yet :p )

But one of the first names that caught my eyes while reading through these forums (that I personally just became part of approx one or two months ago) was Indeed yours.

And as the Pirate/Age Of Sails addict I am - Finding this forum, and the merry bunch you all are - ended up in me desperately trawling the net to get "new" copies of both PotC and CoAS, as my old ones were... well eh.... just that.... old ones, and had deteriorated over years of playing....:p (including my children)

Though I really LOVE New Horizons - The only reason I even bought CoAS was this very mod here ;)
I cannot think of a world without the two major mods for the two major games. Do not make me choose....ehehhehe :p

But seriously - I am truly looking forward to see your work first hand, and I congratulate you from the bottom of my salty heart for completing this MAJOR task more or less alone. Most people have no idea how much work such things are and what lies behind something that is released - and because of this can seem impatient, again not understanding what they ask of you with just a simple question that can seem rather innocent...hehehe ;)

People like you ALL here on PiratesAhoy is what keeps me interested in games (and I know I am FAR from alone in this..:p)
I am never satisfied with the released games i crave for - and it is ALWAYS some heroic souls with creativity and code running in their veins that saves them for me.
Most people who are truly gifted in such things - do not share them talents for free... And thus I have even more admiration for you all here who do what you LOVE and share it with your fellow sea-dogs.

SO again.... and truly from the bottom of my heart.... Thank you for doing what you do, and for enriching our scurvy lives with more entertainment. Your work will definitely NEVER be forgotten on my part at least :)

God speed, salutations and fair winds to you!

Captain Flannery

Hello MK

Are you still punishing everyone, its been over a year now and everyones been waiting patiently for this mod to be released.:whipa:wp

On a more serious note, Its not like you to not have released finished work, so obviously something is going on in your life right now. Hopefully its not bad and you can get back to doing the things you like to do soon. Like everyone else i'm looking forward to this mod, more so now than ever because I need something to get me interested in the game again. Honestly since the release of the final version of GOF 2.0 I haven't touched the game or opened a single file. I moved all the files and folders I had been working from onto my slave hard driver and deleted the modded version of the game and made a fresh copy of the game files so if I ever got interested in the game again I could start testing the mod out. But I had already burned myself out so it never happened.

Anyway hope all is well and that your able to finish this mod and finally get it released soon, good work and look forward to finding out whats next.:onya

HALLO me Mateys!

Thank you for the kind words Flannery and welcome aboard.

Luke, good to see you in these waters again. My intent was never to punish...(well maybe a little - I don't like not getting my way and when people who could help me don't, why should I share all my hard work which they will then use and take for themselves???) I know that's not fair to everyone else though.

However, that really is not the reason for the delay. I went on an extended holiday/vacation before I had a chance to tie up all the loose ends. Going to a lot of really out of the way places both sailing and hiking/backpacking.

So the things that still need finished are:

1. Music has been added to significantly (its still 90 percent early/baroque music) I still need to add three more edited tracks.

2. Adding the last two new characters that I imported and changed textures on.

3. Adding and Changing the flag sizes for some of the new ships.

4. Working on the flag code for 2.8 so that surrender (white flags) display when ships surrender. As it stands now the ship will surrender and you get the dialogue that says "Sir, the (enemy ship name) has struck her colors.", you hear the little alert noise, but the enemy flag continues to fly. The enemy ship will turn towards you and stop, furling all sails. Sometimes she will surrender when you board and the dialogue will say "Sir, the ship has surrendered." All the crew will cower in fear. Everything works but the flag changing. Jonathan could probably fix this in five minutes, but I can't seem to figure it out.

5. Working on reskins of the last three ships on my list.

6. Trying to import new town locations.

7. Trying to get new below deck boarding fight code functioning correctly.

So I am finally on my way home where I can upload the mod. I took longer on vacation than expected. I just came out of the deep back country of central Idaho where there is absolutely NO phone service. My whole body is an aching heap. I hiked over 18 miles in the last three days with 70 pounds on my back. I will include a few pictures.

I will be home in a few more days and then I need a few days to wrap up these final changes above. People want the mod so bad that I will give up on items 3,4,6, and 7 for now. Maybe I can release these additional contents in patches when I get them finished. At least the mod will be out. So give me another week or a little more. I will only be home a week or two before I set out again... DSC01106.jpgDSC01109.jpgDSC01115.jpgDSC01116.jpgDSC01117.jpgDSC01118.jpgDSC01123.jpgDSC01124.jpgDSC01130.jpg

MK

That's understandable bud, I mean all I want is your surrender mod.:wp Only joking, you already know that my aim was to make GOF more stable, giving everyone something to play while they waited for your era mod. The one thing I wanted to get working more than anything for GOF 2 was the direct sail, sadly its not working and with the old FTP gone and all the mods also gone I can't compare files to locate the changes. But GOF2 is more stable than GOF 1.2 which was the aim, so my work is done. Maybe some bug fixes, but that's about it. If your era mod is released before I find interest in modding the game again, then I won't work on bug fixes and GOF2. But I will release GOF2 on modBD so it can be removed from the FTP freeing up a large amount of room for other projects modders wish to undertake.

Its good to see your back though, I know I said I would make the mod a self installer and when your ready I will do that for you.:onya

Luke,

I based Era's on GOF 1.0/1.1 and added lots of stuff (both code and resource content) from POTC/NH, SOFS, Corsairs 3, and POTEHO. So I don't think it will be compatible with anything....however you can lift out what you need.

The Good news is that direct sail does indeed work in Era's Luke!

The massive amount of new items, treasure, weapons, ships, and characters combined with new music, water and weather I think will please most people.

Players that are into fantasy and the later historical eras will not like Era's mod 2 because I did away with all late ships and characters as well as most fantasy content. The Black Pearl is there but re-textured and with white sails and labelled Armed English Merchantman. Davy Jones appears as a ghostly looking man - not an octopus creature. The Flying Dutchman looks like a ghostly Dutch ship - not the crazy one from POTC. AND there is not a goofey stupid looking POTC Queen Anne's Gigantic red Derriere. There is however a new ship named Bristol Merchantman that looks much like the original Queen Anne's Revenge would have really historically appeared.

MK

I have both GOF 1.0 and 1.1, I thought I had CMV3.2 but I don't any more. Must have deleted it thinking that we had a permanent link, but again we don't. Anyway I built GOF2 off GOF1.0, then ported stuff out from GOF 1.2 and worked from there. I can't remember when the direct sail was introduced, but I know it was before GOF 1.2 was ready to release, so it could have been in GOF 1.1 or one of the mod team patches. Good to know its working in the era mod though, but for me GOF2 is finished apart from bug fixes.

4. Working on the flag code for 2.8 so that surrender (white flags) display when ships surrender. As it stands now the ship will surrender and you get the dialogue that says "Sir, the (enemy ship name) has struck her colors.", you hear the little alert noise, but the enemy flag continues to fly. The enemy ship will turn towards you and stop, furling all sails. Sometimes she will surrender when you board and the dialogue will say "Sir, the ship has surrendered." All the crew will cower in fear. Everything works but the flag changing. Jonathan could probably fix this in five minutes, but I can't seem to figure it out.
I just had a look for you at the stock CoAS code, but what I found will not make you happy. There is no trace of any sort of "neutral nation", nor are there any white flags for the ships to use.
We could never do that in PotC either until Pirate_KK made his REALLY advanced and thoroughly complicated "Different Flags" mod.
But even now, we don't have that fully working. It causes graphical anomalies and I got WELL confused trying to get pirate flags to show ashore.
Long story short: DON'T try to do this unless you really, really, REALLY know what you're doing.

The only method I can think of that might work is to add a new "neutral nation" in the game that uses a white flag.
Then when a ship surrenders, you can switch it to that nation and the flag will update similar to when you'd fly a false flag. (That is possible in CoAS, right?)
There are two less nations in CoAS compared to PotC, so that should mean you've got space to spare on flagall_ship.tga.tx .
Not sure if that is an easy method, but it is probably the only reasonable way to do it.

6. Trying to import new town locations.
Are you having any specific issues with doing that? We've done AoP/CoAS to PotC plenty of times and I think the reverse process would be pretty similar.
That shouldn't be that much of a problem. :no

AND there is not a goofey stupid looking POTC Queen Anne's Gigantic red Derriere. There is however a new ship named Bristol Merchantman that looks much like the original Queen Anne's Revenge would have really historically appeared.
Indeed that thing IS ridiculous! And the "official" flag up her mast is an insult to piracy! :shock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back