• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Mod Release GOF Historical Eras Module #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
First comment on Piratesahoy, though I've visited the site on and off for a number of years now. I just wanted to add my support, encouragement, and excitement to the work Modernkight1 has done on this era's mod. I first played POTC when it came out on xbox back in the day and loved it quirks and all. Found COAS a few years ago and enjoyed it along with the mods that were out at the time. It's been a few years since I played and I lost track of the COAS disk. I recently picked up the Patrick O'Brian books for yet another read through and started to feel that old longing for COAS. My new copy of COAS (as I've been unable to locate the old one) is in the mail and should be here in a few days. I can't wait! And then in addition I find out that ModernKnight1 has done such amazing and commendable work on this Eras mod!! My joy is near complete. I have no technical skill to contribute to projects like this so let me, in my own limited way, thank you profusely sir for the work you have done and are doing. My love of the age of sail has been rekindled in no small part by your work! I will raise a glass to you tonight!

I second the motion! Hear hear! Inasmuch as I understand the equipment with which I am working, the programming and scripts are beyond my current abilities. At most, I could be a tester. Maybe provide any research that may need done. But overall, the few people on here and other forums of this great site have plodded ahead despite setbacks and an evident lack of skilled helpers. At the end of the day, when I get to submerge myself into the ultimate freedom of my age of sail simulator, I feel truly happy and it is to those true few that I owe my thanks. So thank you. And again thank you.

Thanks very much for the kind words Me Hearties!

Alas I must apologize again for I am not quite ready for release. A whole lot of sudden and unforseen personal issues and a couple work related issues got in my way. I am very close. Just a few more days.

MK

start_130825_2304413.JPG start_130827_0158283.JPG start_130827_0158412.JPG start_130827_0006229.JPG start_130827_0207499.JPG start_130827_0207587.JPG start_130827_0214444.JPG start_130827_0224096.JPG start_130825_0400576.JPG start_130825_0400388.JPG

Indeed definitely looks good! :woot

If that "Beschermeer" is a Dutch ship name, I'd expect it to be spelled "Beschermer". Just in case you'd care to change that. :doff

Thanks for the correction Pieter. I should have caught that. BTW is there a term that describes someone interested in Dutch culture and history?

Those interested in the English are called Anglophiles. With my Dutch ancestry and historic interest would I be a Nederphile? I seriously would like to learn the language someday out of scholarship alone and all the books I've collected in Dutch.

Seriously though I think my mod finally shows very substantial and notable differences between the factions in the Caribbean. You will know its a French Dutch Spanish or English convoy from a distance before you even see their flags.

Thanks for the praise Thomas, Pieter and Hylie. Maybe when I get this out I will attract some help on a couple areas I haven't been able to fix by myself.

MK

start_130809_1807552.JPG start_130616_2247386.JPG start_130529_2141206.JPG

Seriously though I think my mod finally shows very substantial and notable differences between the factions in the Caribbean. You will know its a French Dutch Spanish or English convoy from a distance before you even see their flags.
That is definitely a great improvement! I had been hoping you'd get that sorted out! :onya

The more I see these screenshots the more I look forward to playing it, in fact i'm looking more forward to playing the era mod than playing the (soon to be released) Rome 2 Total War game, and I have been looking forward to playing that before it was even announced (hopping that one day a RTW2 game would be announced).

Thanks Luke,

I will take you up on your help with the exe.

I modded all day today and plan on doing the same the next couple with no distractions. I am so close to being finished but get sidetracked in testing in fixing more things than I intended.

Today I finished the rest of the music and sound effects. I recorded several tracks using my own voice and friends voices. I hate how the guards in the towns say things like "your days are at an end rogue" and "say hello to Davy Jones" when you are a legitimate captain. So I changed the greeting to stuff like "welcome to port Captain. Abide by the law here and you will always be welcome".....stuff like that.

I got most of the rest of the characters done today. Just a couple more to go now.

I reskinned two more ships and am in the middle of the last few others.

I made up a logo screen for the main menu.

Sorry its taking longer than I thought....but I'm doing nothing but working on this right now and intend to stay focused until I'm finished. Here's some progress shots....MK

start_130831_0046187.JPG start_130831_0131075.JPG start_130830_1903041.JPG start_130830_1904006.JPG start_130831_0047441.JPG start_130831_0048426.JPG start_130831_0051551.JPG start_130831_0106179.JPG

Nice to see you updated the main menu too; that always helps! :woot

I've been doing a lot of work on the PotC Build Mod installer lately and offered to help Luke doing the same for GoF.
If you want, I'll help you too. Shouldn't be too hard. Plus it is set up to make use of regular 7-Zip files, so it'll be easy to update too. :doff

Could resease your sea mod as a seperate mod after you finish? Cause I'm gonna have to wait and buy a new HDD in order to enjoy all this content! :)

Nice pictures MK, and look forward to your weather changes. As you know I only focus on the waves, you have changes a lot more than that, and it would be interesting to see how much you have done to the weather and see the game in a different way. But most of all, I look forward to seeing you release the mod as you have been hard at work on this for a long time and I think you will be amazed at the reception you'll get for all the hard work you have done. Congrats bud.:onya

I'm liking the blue'er water and brighter sky among other things too numerous to mention.

Yeah the weather looks much better, I was going to make it so you could see deeper into the water (not the sea bed) but a little further down and make the sea a little lighter (but haven't looked into how to do any of that yet). I didn't do that because i'm still working on the waves, but i'm going to take a few day's off and enjoy the game for a while before I start work again (don't want to burn myself out again).

Oh sorry if I confused you guy's, MK is working on this era mod on his own. If he ever needs help, I will happily help him out or point him in the right direction. I was only saying that for the GOF 2 mod I was going to make the water a little clearer and change the colour slightly, but at the moment i'm working on making the sea. Like you guy's I look forward to the era mod aswell, MK has done well working on his own all this time and I fully respect him taking on such an project and getting this far. He started with the basics and put together this mod and it looks and sounds amazing. GOF 2 is a go between while we wait for the era mod, its just a basic fix to GOF 1.2 improving stability and adding a little more depth some of the features. That's why I have released the beta mod, which is everything GOF 1.2 has to offer, but with most of my own modifications from GOF 2. It might be a little more stable, but I suspect the boarding bug to still be present in the mod. GOF 2.0.9 doesn't have the surrender feature and is much more stable than GOF 1.2. at the moment i'm working on the 2.0.9 version, just putting together an addon, that will allow you to use all the ships from GOF 1.2 in GOF 2. I have re-classed them based on the ship rates from GOF 2, but you don't need this addon to play the game. Its like a DLC pack if you like, it adds to the game unlike a patch which fixes and adds things to the base game.

It's not that I didn't want help Luke, its just the way things turned out. You, OP, Buho, and Craiggo were all burnt out after 1.2 and you remember the arguments. The German's all wanted to go off and do their own thing and who could blame them but we lost some good talent when that happened.

Remember that I was always the one that was against releasing too soon and believed we needed to test WAY more before we could say it was ready. You remember that I was developing my "Frankenstein" version at the same time and was often testing out stuff that we were working on with Frankenstein instead of the current version. Well Frankenstein turned into the ERAs mod.

I would also add that this mod is my own in that it is my interpretation of the Golden Age. So didn't need to argue with anyone about what ships needed to go and stay and what characters needed to go and stay. This is the mod that I myself have always wanted to play. I did this mod for ME. It is my perfect (OK so not totally perfect) world.

So maybe when this gets released some old friends will come out of the woodwork and we can make ERAs the new baseline and REALLY do some incredible things in the next year.....like giving these AC4 pukes a run for their money with a game that is six years old.

Here's to what still may be old friend....:cheers

MK

Last edited:
Very true, a lot went on that I didn't see because I burnt myself out half way through GOF 1.2 and when I came back it was close to be released. I know the team just wanted to get it released because they had, had enough of working on the mod and just wanted to play the game or do other things. Sadly GOF 1.2 did need a lot of testing and fixing, it wasn't ready for release, what we should have done is released it as a beta and let the community help test it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back