• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Confirmed Bug Gregor Samsa and his role in the game

ANSEL

Corsair
Storm Modder
Hearts of Oak Donator
It seems like the role of being the best trader in Caribbean has been taken
away from him lately. That's a shame and the game have lost some of its
charm. Now his just a ordinary trader, and all his good stuff is going to the
storekeepers. I always looked up to meet him before, but not now anymore.
But:shrug:rumgone

He's supposed to be a Level 10 merchant.
When did that change? :shock

Haven't noticed it before the 23 Sep Zip or maybe after some of Levis Zip?
It just stroke me now. It will be a shame to miss good old Gregor.

I doubt it's intentional. Moving it to the Bug Tracker now.

One possibility, @ANSEL , do ypu have RPG merchants off, and instead use "good items available at start regardless of level"? I seem to recall the code for "special" merchants like him getting a special wider selection being tied to RPG merchants setting being switched on, though I never looked at it in detail. Can you check your rpg merchants setting and report which it is set to?

Another possibility is, if he is tied to town economy in his selection (not sure), maybe the town itself had some bad economic luck recently?

A third possibility, @Grey Roger reported that merchants don't properly stock up on items if you land at a beach, possiblly if you landed at the other port town on barbados and walked to Samsa's town, the same bug might manifest (unsure).

I have now controlled Gregory Samsa in the 28 July version, and he is
the good old Gregory in the 28 version.
Thats all I can say for now.
There is so many bugs going on at this time ,so no more bugs for me tonight.

Under the July 28th edition, over a month ago (when I first started playing) in an early castaway playthrough, I started in Barbados. Gregor Samsa never had much of anything for sale, except a couple of very low quality items + a restocking master spyglass (he seems to get that one great item by special means). Samsa maybe had 5 total items for sale. The other merchants in town had very few items too, and I reported the issue here asking why noone had anything, and @Pieter Boelen explained it was a known issue where traders lost their items if the town economy became terrible.

Sometimes bugs are preexisting but situational, and so can lurk undiscovered even if present also in earlier versions. Gregor Samsa certainly could be missing his items in the July 28th version as well, as a result of several possible broader issues.

Maybe there is indeed a new bug going on here, but it makes sense to figure out whether it is a known issue first.

Hence the three initial questions I wrote above.

@ANSEL on which observations do you base he is not a good trader anymore?
Do you base it on his skills or his goods or something else?

Indeed, no rush on answering the three questions @ANSEL . Just since Levis is so overworked, I want to help by offering a checklist of the 3 known issues that could cause this, so they can be eliminated as causes before he spends time looking for something new.

At any rate, speaking of overworked, I'd better get back to it. Happy sailing everyone. :)

What I'd like to know for startets:
In the item trade interface, does it still say "10" where it displays his trader quality?

I imagine either that number is lower OR it is the general issue related to toen economy.
If you're not sure, please post a save.

I think I have a nervous trigger finger this days. Lets wait with this case
to the real important bugs are fixed!

Just want to kick this one up. If someone wants to test if this is still the case. If so maybe Gragor Sama has to be put to be a questcharacter. That way he shouldn't been affacted by the leveling script(s).

Should be very easy to test this. Gregor Samsa walks around in the default starting port.

For the last few versions, Gregor only has the best spyglass and a small assortment of goods that you probably don't want or need. The spyglass is only available for sale when the player has gained the appropriate level and you can buy it at a store anyway (more expensive than Gregor though). Defeats the original purpose of having him there at all.

Back