• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

.... Has stopped working?

ZombieFish93

Landlubber
ok. i have installed everything correctly and i can run the game, it runs without lag and great picture quality. the problem is everytime i click new game on any story line it crashes and says.

"pirates of the caribbean: new horizons has stopped working"

im not sure if i have done something wrong while installing it. but if there is a detailed tutorial on how to install this game could someone please post the link? if not then.... damn

ok. i have installed everything correctly and i can run the game, it runs without lag and great picture quality. the problem is everytime i click new game on any story line it crashes and says.

"pirates of the caribbean: new horizons has stopped working"

im not sure if i have done something wrong while installing it. but if there is a detailed tutorial on how to install this game could someone please post the link? if not then.... damn

i got the game working with swiftshader... but its not very good. is there anything better then swiftshader? something that atleast makes it playable.

Ahoy, mate. :gday

Could you please post any error logs from this CTD? To find out how, go to point 5 of post 3 here.
This should give us some idea of your problem.

Also, can you post your computer specs? SwiftShader is only required if you have an Intel Onboard graphics chip in a laptop.

Ahoy, mate. :gday

Could you please post any error logs from this CTD? To find out how, go to point 5 of post 3 here.
This should give us some idea of your problem.

Also, can you post your computer specs? SwiftShader is only required if you have an Intel Onboard graphics chip in a laptop.

thanks! i have a dell XPS 15 L502X with an i7 2.0 Ghz proseccor boosted to 2.9

6GB of RAM

2GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M

OS Win7

and thanks for being so helpful :)

Attachments

• compile.log
    3.7 KB · Views: 176
  • system.log
    376 bytes · Views: 177
  • error.log
    440 bytes · Views: 175
Ah, I think I've found the problem. Your error log shows that 'options.c' is a problem, and that file is notorious for being one. :facepalm
So in your main game folder, delete 'options.c'. You'll have to reset your options in-game, unfortunately, but it should stop the CTD's.
This file can sometimes becomes corrupted over time, because it somehow gathers a load of random gibberish text on the bottom few lines.

Your computer specs are fine, and that proves that you don't need SwiftShader.
You could, however, try ENB enhanced graphics if you want. I think you can download it separately, rather than re-installing the whole mod with it.
Try the game without it first, and if it works then you can install ENB. Your PC should cope with it, but if not then let us know.

We're always happy to be of service. :doff

Ah, I think I've found the problem. Your error log shows that 'options.c' is a problem, and that file is notorious for being one. :facepalm
So in your main game folder, delete 'options.c'. You'll have to reset your options in-game, unfortunately, but it should stop the CTD's.
This file can sometimes becomes corrupted over time, because it somehow gathers a load of random gibberish text on the bottom few lines.

Your computer specs are fine, and that proves that you don't need SwiftShader.
You could, however, try ENB enhanced graphics if you want. I think you can download it separately, rather than re-installing the whole mod with it.
Try the game without it first, and if it works then you can install ENB. Your PC should cope with it, but if not then let us know.

We're always happy to be of service. :doff
i deleted the options.c file but when i run the game it has the same problem. and when i go back into the main game folder it comes back. i also tried it with ENB but it didnt help. am i deleting the right file? because it the only one i can see thats called options.

Ah! A treasure quest! :)) The treasure here is getting your game to work. :treas

Where precisely have you installed Potc? If it is in "program files" it WILL crash.

Next. Have you run runme.bat and rename.bat? They are in your POTC folder.

If you have, then look into these.

If PotC still does not run, it might be that a DEP exception must be created. This is not hard. (Data Execution Prevention)
Next would be ffdshow. This one got me. If you have it an exception will also have to be made there.

Next. Have you run runme.bat and rename.bat? They are in your POTC folder.

If you have, then look into these.

If PotC still does not run, it might be that a DEP exception must be created. This is not hard. (Data Execution Prevention)
Next would be ffdshow. This one got me. If you have it an exception will also have to be made there.
ive ran the runme and rename and also created a DEP but i still have the problem. as for ffdshow im pretty sure i dont have it but how do i find it?

Badly written codecs can cause havoc with Windows it's self, not just with games. ffdshow can be a real pain, but it is not the only codec that can cause problems, it just seems to be the one that shows up most. I ran across a handy little utility a while back that does a fantastic job of easily helping you track down problem codecs. It will disable or re-enable every codec individually, or in bunches, all the codecs on your system without having to go through the pain of uninstalling and reinstalling them. It is a very handy little program! It's called InstalledCodec, and you can download it from HERE! I hope that helps mate!

Badly written codecs can cause havoc with Windows it's it's self, not just with games. ffdshow can be a real pain, but it is not the only codec that can cause problems, it just seems to be the one that shows up most. I ran across a handy little utility a while back that does a fantastic job of easily helping you track down problem codecs. It will disable or re-enable every codec individually, or in bunches, all the codecs on your system without having to go through the pain of uninstalling and reinstalling them. It is a very handy little program! It's called InstalledCodec, and you can download it from HERE! I hope that helps mate!
hi. thanks for showing me this. but i disabled everything and it still doesnt work, do you know if there is anyway i can find out which codec would have a problem?

InstalledCodec is the best tool I have found to try and track down codecs that are causing problems, if turning them all off didn't fix your problem, then it may not be a codec problem. Do you have DirectX 9 installed? If you don't, that might be part of the problem. The game was originally written for DirectX 8. You can find the full version over at FileHippo or you can download the web installer from Microsoft

If I understand your earlier posts correctly, you installed Swiftshader just to get the game working, that is highly unusual considering the graphics card you have, usually only Intel graphic chipsets require Swiftshader. I know it's a pain, but I think it's best that you start over fresh and uninstall everything. Sometimes a clean install will solve your problems. POTC doesn't use any registry entries, so your are safe just to delete the games folder and reinstall to C:/Games/POTC/. I am not sure about Swiftshader as I have never installed it, check in your Control Panel under Programs and Features and see if there is an entry there that you can uninstall Swiftshader from. After you have uninstalled Swiftshader, go ahead and reboot and reinstall POTC. Try and play POTC before you install the Build Mod and see if you can play the stock game. Post your results here after you have tried the stock game, and we will do our best to get you up and going with The Build Mod.

InstalledCodec is the best tool I have found to try and track down codecs that are causing problems, if turning them all off didn't fix your problem, then it may not be a codec problem. Do you have DirectX 9 installed? If you don't, that might be part of the problem. The game was originally written for DirectX 8. You can find the full version over at FileHippo or you can download the web installer from Microsoft

If I understand your earlier posts correctly, you installed Swiftshader just to get the game working, that is highly unusual considering the graphics card you have, usually only Intel graphic chipsets require Swiftshader. I know it's a pain, but I think it's best that you start over fresh and uninstall everything. Sometimes a clean install will solve your problems. POTC doesn't use any registry entries, so your are safe just to delete the games folder and reinstall to C:/Games/POTC/. I am not sure about Swiftshader as I have never installed it, check in your Control Panel under Programs and Features and see if there is an entry there that you can uninstall Swiftshader from. After you have uninstalled Swiftshader, go ahead and reboot and reinstall POTC. Try and play POTC before you install the Build Mod and see if you can play the stock game. Post your results here after you have tried the stock game, and we will do our best to get you up and going with The Build Mod.
so i did everything you said and it still wont work. however, im not sure if this would make a difference but i noticed that i have some intel programs installed, including intell HD graphics driver. i havent got a clue if this is important but i thought i might aswell mention it just in case. and thanks for the help from everyone :)

You re installed PotC and it still won't work? That is a bit unusual. Where did you download it from? I have gotten bad dl's from the ModDB. Also, did you play the vanilla game before adding the mods?

About that Intel graphics stuff. You have an nvidia video card, so should not have any use for the Intel drivers. Your puter doesn't have Intel graphics also, does it? Lots of desktops have Intel graphics built into their motherboards and also have a video card. The Intel is disabled in the BIOS and all drivers for it deleted. I would delete those Intel drivers and try it again.

You re installed PotC and it still won't work? That is a bit unusual. Where did you download it from? I have gotten bad dl's from the ModDB. Also, did you play the vanilla game before adding the mods?

About that Intel graphics stuff. You have an nvidia video card, so should not have any use for the Intel drivers. Your puter doesn't have Intel graphics also, does it? Lots of desktops have Intel graphics built into their motherboards and also have a video card. The Intel is disabled in the BIOS and all drivers for it deleted. I would delete those Intel drivers and try it again.
i downloaded build 14 from mod db but i cant even get the stock game to work. and i also unistalled the intell HD graphics drivers but everything on my screen just got really big and i couldnt get the game to run AT ALL then so i re-instaled it. however, i have a theory that it can not start new games. because it runs fine untill i press new game, with or without the build mod. so i was wondering if it would be possible to download someones saved game? if i could do that then it will prove my theory.

It appears you have a new laptop that is supposed to be pretty good, according to a search I just did. It should run PotC with no problems. Why it crashes when you try to start a game, I do not know. Have you tried any other games?

You deleted the Intel drivers and it got worse? That says that it is running on intel video, not nvidia. Are any nvidia drivers installed? Go into your control panel --> system--> device manager. Are there any yellow exclamation points or question marks? There is something odd going on in your computer.

**EDIT**

Oh it's a hybred :facepalm Thanks miklkit, it didn't even occur to me to look that up. ZombieFish has an Intel motherboard chipset with Nvidia built in! :modding I hate to say it ZombieFish, but I really doubt you will ever be able to play this game properly on that laptop.

@miklkit i did what you said and there are no yellow exclamations or question marks. and the only games ive play'd on it are minecraft and M&B Warband Trial.

@Thagarr oh that doesnt sound great. but i did download that speccy though. i took a screenshot of it to get your oppinion.

Attachments

• Speccy.png
    Speccy.png
    35.1 KB · Views: 241
Yeah that pretty much confirms it mate, sorry about the confusion on my end. This game just absolutely hates Intel graphics chipsets for some reason. Swiftshader is really the only option, and sometimes it doesn't work, as in your case. Even when this game was new 8 years ago, Intel chipsets wouldn't run it at all. There have been some cases of hybred chipsets being able to run Age of Pirates II City of Abandoned Ships, but it is still mostly a crapshoot. There are some fine modders working on a great mod for that game right now. Sorry we can't be of more help mate, if by chance you do ever happen to find a way to get it to run properly, please post back here and let us know so we can help others who may have the same problem.

Back