• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Hearts of Oak News July 2015

Screenie time! :popcorn:

View attachment 22168 View attachment 22169 View attachment 22170 View attachment 22171 View attachment 22172 View attachment 22173

I like the way the shadows work. I could not climb the volcano but did climb a small hill.

Now about the loads. It seems to be poorly optimized so far with both CPU and GPU loads all over the place. It WILL get better.
View attachment 22174

AMD 8370@4.92ghz and a Sapphire R9 290X 8gb
16 gb ram @ 1920mhz
1920X1080 resolution

Thanks for providing the performance output of your run. It is always useful to see how these run on others machines.

As you noted, the bulk of everything is loaded at game start but this will certainly change in the future as much more content is added. It is difficult to sometimes make assumptions about GPU performance because this can be directly impacted by what the game camera is focused on. For instance, if the camera has several objects including the water GPU could get overloaded quickly.

It would be useful if you could run the game and track GPU performance while focused on terrain (side of a hill) and looking at water a couple ships and water.

Looking forward to more feedback and thanks for running the demo.

Cheers,

JS

Ok, my memory isn't the best but I got three sets of data.

1. Looking at a ship while standing for a while. The flat peaks are when just standing looking at the ship and the jaggedy stuff is when moving around and there is a frame rate drop.
HoO_July2015 2015-08-03 14-43-12-48.jpg HOO loads while looking at ship 8-3-2015.jpg

2. Ship and volcano This one is unusual as I was just standing there for a while and GPU use stayed jaggedy.
HoO_July2015 2015-08-03 14-47-58-75.jpg HOO ship and volcano 8-3-2015.jpg

3. The building after running around a bit. This one has me just turning left and right which makes the frame rate drop. Just standing still lets the FPS quickly go up to 60.
HoO_July2015 2015-08-03 14-53-20-08.jpg HOO building and ship 8-3-2015.jpg

I should state here that I used the video card preset that has most settings pegged, as in 24X AA and 16X AF and high quality textures.

FYI: It looks like I am getting the same glitch as apotek where the sea does not render (I can run around all I want, however). Perhaps this is something related to older GPUs?
-Intel HD3000
-Intel Core i5 2.3 Ghz
-Windows 7 64

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 378
Amazing guys sadly my laptop has Intel HD graphics so fps must be between 1 and 10 haha
Looking forward to see a low graphics setting so can test it.

Btw cant move the camera and theres no menu in game to exit.

FYI: It looks like I am getting the same glitch as apotek where the sea does not render (I can run around all I want, however). Perhaps this is something related to older GPUs?
-Intel HD3000
-Intel Core i5 2.3 Ghz
-Windows 7 64
That gpu its equivalent to 256 mb nvidia gpu haha thats why we cant play it :(

Ah, I understand now. Thanks guys, looks like it's time for a hardware upgrade.. lol.

Not thinking, I set the water to use DX11 for this release. We will most certainly introduce the option of using DX11 or DX9 to be able to support older hardware as much as we can going forward.

Thanks for doing the test.

Cheers,

JS

hey, this maybe a stupid question but is the demo only available for 64-bit systems and not 32-bit systems

thanks

hey, this maybe a stupid question but is the demo only available for 64-bit systems and not 32-bit systems

thanks
For this month, sadly yes.
But this is not something that will be the case further on.

From what information our lead developer has given us, a 32 bit version will probably be available already from the next update and onwards.

We apologize for not having a 32 bit version already - and we thank the people who are waiting for this for their patience :)

During character creation and if I remember correctly the main menu if you scroll the screen will flicker. Its just a minor bug

I made a video to showcase game and point out some of the bugs.
One bug is where leaving and gouing in the ship changes the games screen brightness. lol

Windows 10
64 bit
Asus Nvidia 970 Graphics Card
Intel 5
8 gb ram

Last edited:
Back