• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Hearts of Oak Promotional Website

Will try. So far the choice of background was just to give depth and breathing room for 'poster' part, and everything else dark to bring out white lettering, St Albans kinda tried to help with that too.
You guys can sharpen your skills for landscape render that could replace that stolen picture;)

I was talking about the underwater background: Nice idea, that is! Definitely very clever and creative. :cheers

Ok, so today I sat for a while to the PS, and here's first pics on my ideas about improving the site. Bear in mind this is WIP and will be improved and altered shortly. I disregarded UI requirements also (as I don't know them) and just tried to put Garamond and Bodoni on the same page and went for 1700's newspaper feel. I'll work on readability too in next few days, as I still have no web fonts and my working environment needs to be set up for browser size-conciousness.
View attachment 15956 View attachment 15957
Awesome!

Ad the IM Fell discussion on the first page: From my very amateur view, is not one of the main problems of Fell fonts the format (.otf)? Contrary to the true type fonts (.ttf), such as the great Unifraktur and Hirmologion, there seems to be quite a difference between the font on screen (and thus ingame or at web) and on paper, where it is truly lovely. Thus I agree that Garamond will suit much better the text on the website.

Well, it looks pretty amazing, i'm glad i would be able to help on that!

@Ashinokami - Are you happy with your latest design concepts, or do you plan on making further changes?
And are you or anyone else planning on implementing the design on the website itself soon?
If not, I might look into the Artisteer demo that Captain Murphy mentioned and see if I can set up one of the proposed concepts with that.

I think it's about time we started using the website properly soon, so we should try to get it looking how we want it to. ;)

@Armada, I'm really sorry guys, I had to put the website on hold for last week or so, had some extra work piling up on me. I even write this at 6AM after a night of costruction detailing:rumgone.
I have it in the works and will absolutely finish it. I'll be free from tomorrow to may 5. Will try to get it ready in that time. Latest concepts are really just sketches. I believe I can achieve something really professionally looking. Haven't tried Aristeer yet, everything is in Fireworks now. But, when I'll have all the elements ironed out, I see an obstacle. I can't code at all. So I need another application for final design that would be as intuitive as possible , able to export code, and with possibility to create responsive layouts. Adobe Dreamweaver requires knowing HTML which I have no time nor use of learning, the good option can be Adobe Edge Reflow, but I can't find "free" version anywhere. So, I'd like someone suggesting what to use, or volunteering coloboration in actual implementation side.

Last edited:
Artisteer handles the code/CSS for the skin itself including building the responsive menus and styling for the content panels. The site is based in DNN (DotNetNuke) and handles all of the actual 'code' for the panels/modules so all you need to do is drop the assets into Artisteer and work on the panels to style them like you want. It is FAR simpler than using Fireworks or Photoshop. Just build the assets in those and put them into Artisteer for final assembly. Once you have everything styled like you want you can send me the *.art file and all of the assets along with it and I can export it without the watermarks and such for use on the site. From there we can tweak the files by hand to get them exactly like we want.

@Ashinokami - No worries for the delay. If you're looking to make some progress on it in the next few days, that sounds great.
Artisteer does seem to be the best program for the job.

A very minor update and an excuse for it:
Website_test3.jpg
This is just improved composition for page header. Disregard anything else. I found out that full wheel works better with different resolutions, easier to compose with adjacent text too. Dark top bar for social media links - for same reasons. + a vignette for logo, as whatever color it is, it doesn't weigh enough alongside other very contrasty graphics.

Only this morning I found time to sit behind this project. My job is like homicide detective's - never know when they'll call you and I have to plough until it's done. But, from Monday I expect big, but single project for 6 weeks, so I'll have evenings again to spare for HoO.

@Radetzky, all typefaces are .otf so far and exactly .otf is better web-proofed standard than .ttf. I use "Strong" anti-alias settings for fonts (dk how that works online though), and body text will use Caption weight of Garamond, specially for readability.

Also, I found that island from some ACIV concept drawing very useful for composition. Someone mentioned having original Far Cry level in SDK, could I get that for our original background render? St-Albans with sails set up too, as I might need to tweak current ship render too.

Last edited:
Looks good to me! Interesting choice to use the full-wheel logo, and it seems to work well in that form.

Would anyone be able to produce a nice in-engine landscape/sea render, as Ashinokami suggested?

If you need any help with coding for the side send me a PM or tag me. I have some experience with multiple web developement languages. I can't promise I can do what you want but for now I never had to say I couldn't :).

Hm, I didnt have a real good looking vegetation setup. Only my test island. What kind of screenshot is need in detail?

Please dont understand wrong ;) I mean: I didnt have a map with nice looking setup with vegetation etc.. I are no mapper, I only do basics in the map for testing and setup modells and textures and this was primary TOD and a little bit enviroment and textures.
Maybe you remember my first suggestion for the Alpha to setup the small bay as testmap (the Crysis 1 map we have). Here you see that (in my opinion) a fast accessible and good looking bay is more need as some people think.

Thanks, I need a level with just the island (no vegetation) and the St Albans with sails up. Actually I'm rethinking now that will be faster just photoshop that island into place. St Albans is for better lighting on ship and sails to tweak the luminosity of that part of render, now it's too heavy. And to be able to adjust perspective if I needed to move the ship. So just ship basically. I'll do the render myself, I have precise ideas for TOD, composition etc. Will try to make it more saturated but still of painterly palette.

Back