Now that we've settled into a fairly regular release schedule for Hearts of Oak, player feedback is becoming more and more important. To keep up with the frequent releases, we need more people to thoroughly test the game.
As such, we're looking to set up a dedicated QA team to aid in the development process. If you'd like to help the team but you're not a skilled programmer or artist, this is an ideal way to get involved!
Check out the following FAQ for all the details on how to join the team and what will be expected of you.
What do I need to become a QA tester for Hearts of Oak?
To join our QA team, all you need is:
Prior experience as a QA tester is not required.
- A PC capable of running the game (even if it doesn't run well)
- An account on the PiratesAhoy! forum
- An enthusiasm for testing the game
What will I need to do as a QA tester?
We will expect each tester to fulfil these responsibilities:
Do I get any perks for being in the QA team?
- Test each new build thoroughly, as soon as you can
- Provide detailed, constructive feedback from your experiences
- Include screenshots and/or videos to illustrate bugs and glitches, where applicable
- Include your PC specs in your signature for easy reference
Of course! As a QA tester, you'll be eligible for the following:
Do I get a free copy of the final game for testing it?
- Early access to new builds before public release
- A "QA Tester" user banner
- Access to the Development forum to follow the game's progress
- Your name listed in the game's credits
The game will be free to everyone, so yes, you'll get a free copy too!
Will I get paid for testing the game?
No. As with the rest of the team, we don't offer payment, so we're looking for volunteers only.
Will I need to sign an NDA?
We don't currently enforce a strict NDA policy, but we may ask you not to share specific details if there's a good reason for it.
Additionally, we ask you not to redistribute internal builds of the game until we officially release them to the public.
The same rules apply to you as the rest of the team, so be sure to read our Team Policies for the key points to bear in mind.
Sounds good! Where do I sign up?
Please head over to our Recruitment forum to introduce yourself and apply to be a QA tester.
If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to contact us.
As always, we greatly appreciate your help! Stay tuned for more updates on new releases soon.
Don't know what the Hearts of Oak project is? Take a look at our Frequently Asked Questions for more information.