• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Heavy pinnace of war changes

Hylie Pistof

Curmudgeon
QA Tester
Storm Modder
Pirate Legend
I've been working on the heavy pinnaces off and on for some time. The Waller Pinnace was upgraded some time ago, and now the Seven Provincien has better sails.

There are two other heavies in the game, the NL_Pinnace of War47 and the Heavy Lineship.

Overall, the pinnace of war47 is a Waller Pinnace with green paint. It also has a broken hull GM so it really can't be upgraded anymore. Do we need it since the Dutch still have the Seven Provincien?

The Heavy Lineship is unique and can be updated. It has 82-12 pound cannons! It is also the worst performing one of the bunch and I think the others should be detuned to its handling and cargo specs.

Comments?

:rofl

But when we look at 50-60 gun Dutch ships there is the Seven Provincien, Pinnace of War47, Convoiship, Lineship, Wargalleon, and the FWzP. Everyone else gets the Waller Pinnace and Wargalleon while the Heavy Lineship is very rare.
The Spanish get the Heavy War Galleon but the French, British, and Portagees are pretty thin.
The thing that bothers me is that the pinnace47 is as good as it will ever get, and isn't really needed. Make the others more common.

Can we combine the 7 Provincien with the Pinnace47 paint scheme somehow? Get the best of both worlds, so to say?

That would take someone who knows how to paint. What parts do you not like about the Seven Provincien?

I actually do like her; I like them both. :shrug

Why can the NL_PinnaceofWar47 not be upgraded, by the way? She has the regular Pinnace2 hull GM file.
So if that file can be edited, she can be HEX-edited to use the NL_PinnaceofWar47 texture.

Nope. Pinnace2 is broken too. So leave it in, but make the other ships more common. I see the FWzP maybe one time a year, for instance.

I have already started doing that in my install, and also downgrading their stats to something vaguely realistic. I'm looking for input as to what would be best for that hull size and shape overloaded with so many cannons.

It seems there are only 3 pinnaces I can work on.

The Seven Provincien which has already been recently updated.

The Waller Pinnace which was updated some time ago.

The Heavy Lineship which I just acquired and am working on. I decided to give her the same update as the 7P and here is the first result. There will be lots of changes. Believe it or not, Neptune's spear does not touch the sail.
Beta3 2014-08-31 21-55-05-77.jpg

WallerPinnace and NL_PinnaceofWar_47 are nearly the same, only the one has extra lifeboats added and different stern lanterns.

Plus one has 54-24 pound cannons and the other has 82-12 pounders. And one has 2 sails per mast and the other has 3 sails per mast.

Those extra cannons are part of the _deck GM file though. And the masts are handled through locators.
So those could all be applied to the WallerPinnace hull GM.

I think I know where you want to go. The only broken pinnace GMs are pinnace2 and NL_PinnaceofWar47.

Pinnace1 and PWar47 are similar but when the bortouts are swapped the sterns look different.

When the bortouts for pinnace2 and the wallerpinnace are swapped they look good but I can not remove the lifeboats as they are part of the whole deck.

The most I could do for pinnace2 and NL_PinnaceofWar47 is put different yards and sails on them.

Is there any objection to having extra lifeboats on the NL_PinnaceofWar47?
If really necessary, we may be able to "remove" them with an alpha-mapped texture. Not sure if that would work here though.

Ok, the NL_PinnaceofWar47 skin works ok on the WallerPinnace, so there will be 2 of them, a gold one and a green one. I like the lifeboats and want to keep them.

I finally got the NL_PinnaceofWar47! :monkeydance It took over a week of bumping up the encounter chances and now the place will probably be filthy with them. Anyhoo, now to get to work. :whipa
Beta3 2014-09-09 05-08-57-48.jpg

First problem. The figurehead is floating in air. It is part of the deck.GM which includes the deck guns. They line up perfectly, so I tried to move the figurehead. "model could not be read." :facepalm
Beta3 2014-09-09 07-37-47-59.jpg

Can a deck.gm be copied from another ship where it does match up?

It turns out that many of the deck.gm's are corrupted. The closest match is the one from pinnace2 or more likely the waller pinnace. The thing is they all have problems lining up so I will have to modify them.

Back