• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Hello all

Valthaer

Landlubber
Hello all,
I am 28 years old, i am from Spain and work as .Net software developer, specifically in WPF desktop applications. I like PC Games and miniature wargames. I have played Akella Games from the old Sea Dogs to the Cities of Abandoned Ships.

I have reached this site while finding news about the Naval Action game, and the develop of Hearts of Oak is a very great new :). It´s appear to be a impressive project.

One question, what mod do you recommend to play me. New horizons or Gentlemen of Fortune 2 ? I have played AoP2 and also PotC. I like more AoP2 but seems to be New Horizons more updated...

Greetings!

:ahoy

If you already have both games try the updated ones and decide for yourself. GOF2 is the last mod for COAS and NH beta 3.3 is the latest one for POTC.

Yes, there is no one doing work on COAS right now and POTC is still being updated.

:ahoy

Why not play both ? New Horizons is far far more stable but if you enjoyed AoP2 its worth giving that a go as well.

Edit: Hylie replied while i was typing my post lol

Welcome to the forum!

PotC has the most substantial mode no done to it.
But both are worth your time.

Thanks! Hum, i think that the two games are very similar. Cities of the Abandoned Ships is for me the best title of the saga, so i will try first Gentlemen of Fortune. :)

Indeed I do believe that without mods, AoP 2 is a much better game. With mods though.... different story. :wp

Will have to give that game a go myself without the mods by the sound of it how bizzare.

I think he meant that if you have PotC and AOP2 without mods, AOP2 is better, Modded AOP2 is much better than unmodded.
With mods I think both games are pretty much same, with some (notable) differences.

For me personally i was not a fan at all of AoP2 even with the mods i think i actually made a post about it in the screenshots thread ( http://www.piratesahoy.net/threads/screenshots-thread.19554/page-33 ) the nail in the coffin for me was the combat system i hated the stamina now yeah yeah some people might like it or think its more realistic but for me it just broke my immersion because it was frankly so darn frustrating and often left me helpless, it to me was just no fun at all so PoTC > AoP2

edit: the lights on the ships looked cool*

Last edited:
I think he meant that if you have PotC and AOP2 without mods, AOP2 is better, Modded AOP2 is much better than unmodded.
With mods I think both games are pretty much same, with some (notable) differences.
Yup, pretty much.

The main difference is that PotC: New Horizons is much closer in concept to what we, as PiratesAhoy!, would like to accomplish with Hearts of Oak.
Mainly because nearly all the cool features are things that WE added, while I don't think there were ever a lot of substantial new features added to the AoP 2 mods.

So yhey both offer a different approach to the same basic game style.

Back