• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

[HELP] colony management

lollop

Landlubber
Sorry for my English, I wanted to ask is possible implementation the colony management present in pirates of Caribbean Tales in COAS?

// è possibile aggiungere la gestione delle colonie presente in caribbean tales a COAS?

It is something we would like to add in the future, but we are lacking coders who can read and understand the code in AoP and CoAS. But we are making progress in other things, no doubt we will have the best of what AoP can offer implemented into CoAS one day.

thanks for the reply, the job done is amazing. Keep it up!

grazie per la risposta, il lavoro che svolgete è incredibile. Continuate così !

To avoid creating a new thread, I just reply to this one....

So there is no possibility in AoP 2 to manage colonies like in AoP 1? Just took over a colony and all I can do is to collect taxes. Why did they remove this feature? That was one of the most awesome parts of AoP 1.

Because i never played AOP1 i can't comment on how good it was but it seems most gaming companies take the best parts out and build from there rather than building on what is already in place. We see many games having this done to them now as new companies take the game title over like Airline Tycoon 2 its so bad it shouldn't have been released (Airline Tycoon 1 was a game i use to play with my younger brother) So i picked up 2 to see how good it was and automatically thourght what a waste of money, all the best features removed and the graphics improved. So sad because i had a lot of fun on that game.

Anyway back on topic, yes we do want to implement all the best AOP1 had to offer but as and when that will happen is a question we can't answer yet. Hopefully we will start to see things been ported over in the not to distant future though. :onya

@Luke159

FYI: You could build a gold mine to increase income or crop fields to increase population growth. (if available on the island) You could enhance the bastion to fortress and level up the shipyard to support higher level ships to buy and stuff like that. The income of the colony also depended on the trade skill of the governor, the fortress defenses depended on the defense skill and same for cannons and so on. Not sure, if skills like navigation had any function for the governor. The crew available to hire at the tavern depended on the population and on the leadership skill of the governor. And so on...

So basically the gameplay was like that:

Hire officers, level them up, some will become captains of your fleet and one day, they become governors of your colonies and new captains have been chosen for your fleet. I loved that. It was a nice mix between some cool pirate game and something like, ehm, C&C. :)

Since AoP has some features that are being requested, your best bet would be to see what Akella did in AoP and see what can be brought into CoAS. I'm not certain what files you'd have to change in CoAS although Buho is adept at C, perhaps he can comment further on this subject.

Sure, if it's done, it will be reused. I myself am a programmer, I may be able to help if time is not a constraint.

This would be a fantastic addition to CoAS and it would have the potential to add quite a bit to the gameplay. I know it is possible to add features from AOP to CoAS, the German version has a partial multiplayer that was in AOP, so there really is a possibility to add this to the game. It could be that at least portions of that code still exist and have just been commented out by Seaward.

The coding and scripting in all 3 games are pretty identical, with a few variations, but the basics are the same. CoAS relies much more heavily on DLL files though, so that may present a bit of a problem. As far as where to look, I don't currently have AOP installed so I can't really help much there, but for CoAS, you might try these to start with :

Anything in \Playlogic\Age of Pirates 2\Program\colonies and possibly in C:\Games\Playlogic\Age of Pirates 2\Program\Locations\init

\Playlogic\Age of Pirates 2\Program\scripts\colony.c

\Playlogic\Age of Pirates 2\Program\INTERFACE\ColonyCapture.c

\Playlogic\Age of Pirates 2\RESOURCE\INI\interfaces\ColonyCapture.ini

All the various fort.c and fort.ini files may also be of some use in tracking down some information. :shrug

Sorry, Zalioth.

I have no idea about how colonies works in AOP1. And to speak frankly, I have no idea how it works in AOP2 either. :eek:ops

Cheers.
buho (A).

Here's the complete modules folder from AOP1, i'm just moving a copy of the resource folder to the desktop so i can remove things that aren't needed like ships and then i'll rar that up and upload it here so you guy's can take a look and see if you can get what you need to work in COAS. :onya

AOP 1 Modules Complete

Here's the complete modules folder from AOP1, i'm just moving a copy of the resource folder to the desktop so i can remove things that aren't needed like ships and then i'll rar that up and upload it here so you guy's can take a look and see if you can get what you need to work in COAS. :onya

AOP 1 Modules Complete

Great job Luke. I was thinking the very same thing if I had my copy of AoP handy.

Thanks OP. :onya

Bad news, i had some problems so will get it uploaded later on tonight, sorry for the delay. ;)

All scripts from AOP1 contained in COAS. Colony for the management, there is already a finished version.

Here's the
script. => \program\colonies\colonies.c

But there must be some parameters in some files to be processed.
======================================================================

extern void InitColonies();

void ColoniesInit()
{
if(LoadSegment("Colonies\Colonies_init.c"))
{
InitColonies();
UnloadSegment("Colonies\Colonies_init.c");
}
}

int FindColony(string sColony)
{
for (int i=0; i<MAX_COLONIES; i++)
{
if(Colonies.id == sColony)
{
return i;
}
}

return -1;
}

ref GetColonyByIndex(int iColony);
{
return &Colonies[iColony];
}

int FindColonyWithCurrentNationExceptColony(int iNation, int iColony)
{
int iArray[MAX_COLONIES];
int m = -1;

for(int i = 0; i < MAX_COLONIES; i++)
{
if(Colonies.nation != "none" && sti(colonies.nation) == iNation && colonies.id != colonies[iColony].id)
{
m++;
iArray[m]=i;
}
}
if(m!=-1)
{
m = rand(m);
i = iArray[m];
return i;
}
return -1;
}

//-------------------------------------------------------------------------
// JM -> Finden Sie eine Kolonie zu einer Nation
int FindColonyWithCurrentNation(int iNation)
{
int iArray[MAX_COLONIES];
int m = -1;

for(int i = 0; i < MAX_COLONIES; i++)
{
if(Colonies.nation != "none" && sti(colonies.nation) == iNation)
{
m++;
iArray[m]=i;
}
}
if(m!=-1)
{
m = rand(m);
i = iArray[m];
return i;
}
return -1;
}

//-------------------------------------------------------------------------
// JM -> find die Kolonie zu Nation
string GetColonyNameByIndex(int iColony)
{
return colonies[iColony].id;
}

Its most likely to still have all the coding in place just quoted out in places to provent it from been used, and maybe the GM files and things (because no longer been required) was removed, finding and activating the code again should allow for this feature to be back in the game and then putting the GM files back in if they are missing as i suspect.

Bad solution. Luke

I had finished writing the whole Colony M. for the German Mod
On the maps the current nations and the current trade goods were displayed.

When I'm doing a test match I was bored after a short time, it was simply boring.
You can see what's there and you no longer sail on dan place.

There are certainly other things you need to change.

Maybe you haven't activated everything, maybe there is one or more lines of code in different files that requires some changes. I'm about to upload the resource folder from AOP1 so you will be able to see if there are GM files missing for this to function, hopefully you can get it to work because it will greatly improve the gameplay. :dance

I enabled everything and it worked.
I've followed everything written back to the original state.
Guys, this is a pirate game and run around endlessly in the country
and play a landlubber, I'm not interested.:whipa

Thanks for the help Jan Marten, much appreciated mate! :dance

I figured at least parts of it would still be in there somewhere. I just wish I understood coding better so I could help out more. :modding

Back