• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

[HELP] It's crashing!

Zanizaila

Landlubber
I first had this game installed between December 2009-July 2011, when I lost it because the computer had to be reinstalled.
(I got it with the computer in December 2009, no CD, don't blame me for it.)

I then finally managed to find it and buy it on eBay just a few weeks ago.

Before, the game had a tendency to crash every few months, and almost every time that happened, the player I was using at the time was doomed - or in other words, I could never play with that player again.
Hard to actually get somewhere that way...

Now I've had the game again for about 1½ weeks.
Not much, but I've managed to get farther than I've ever gone before - finished the Isabella quest, finished Kill the beggars, have gotten quite a while with the Enchanted City and Tenochtitlan, I have three ships plus a companion and almost a million piasters (my record before was around 200-300 000 piasters), an almost full set of officers and ~150 men (again, more than I've ever managed before).

Now then - the game has been crashing from day one. Luckily, I've always been able to just resume playing. But even though it happens MANY times a day (wouldn't surprise me if it happens about once an hour, if not more), it's just been annoying... until now.

I was just sailing around as usual, the game crashed, so what... it's already happened 2-3 times today.
But then I restart (a little too quickly I'm afraid), try to get into the player's name - and POFF - it crashes again.
I'm thinking "What the hell, again?", and restart it again.

I try to get into the player - it crashes again.

DISASTER. :shock

I do NOT want to go through all those quests, get up to that level in playing, again, after just a week. :(

What do I do now?

Is there some place in the folders where the players and saved games are stored, so I have some files I can save, and reinstall the game or something?

Sounds like it could be corruption in your file system. I'd try opening up a command prompt and running chkdsk /f.
Step by step:

1. if xp, click start, then run, then type cmd in the run box and click ok
1b. if vista or windows 7, click start, in the search box at the bottom type cmd, now use the right mouse button to click on the cmd search result at the top of the menu, left click on "run as administrator" - click continue (or allow changes)
2. in the black window that opens, type:
chkdsk c: /f (press enter)
(it will ask to schedule the check for next restart, type "y" for yes)
exit (press enter and the black window will close)
3. restart your computer.
4. when it starts up it should do a disk check, watch it to see if it finds any errors - if it finds and fixes errors, repeat the process until it runs and doesn't find any errors.

See if the game will work for you now.

Thank you. I tried it three times over, but was never sure if it actually found any errors - it made no difference to the game however. :(

Could a mod like these help?

http://www.moddb.com/mods/gentlemen-of-fortune
http://www.moddb.com/mods/city-of-abandoned-ships-combined-mods

The nature of the issue you describe sure sounds to me like issues with the computer itself that may have caused corruption in the game files or your profile in the game. It may be that the chkdsk scans fixed the issue but didn't repair what's already corrupted in your profile. It could also be that there are other issues that remain that need addressing. (the hard drive could be failing and scans aren't able to repair it - that's only 1 possible answer though, you'd need a proper diagnosis from a qualified tech to know for sure) I really don't think the issue is about the game itself. I am running vanilla with no mods and see no reason to think a mod would help those issues.

If you dont have any issues with any other games or programs and it seems just specific to age of pirates, it may be the game needs reinstalling or possibly it's a compatibility issue with your system. I get a few bad saves from time to time, but rarely does the game ever crash and I've not had a profile ever get lost.

Well, the profile is not lost in itself, I can occasionally load a game in it, but then it always crashes moments later.

I tried a slightly different version of that scan now, which took considerably more time, but came up with nothing - no problems encountered, or something.

So what now?

I think I will try the mods though, even though they may not help either...

Are there no mods that fix only the crashing problem? Because I don't want any additional ships, characters and objects in the game, I don't want the game to change.

Or if someone has a different solution, I would be very grateful... even though I can just make a new player, there is no point as it will just happen again and again.

I've tried changing the compatibility (between XP Service Pack 2 and 3, Vista, Vista Service Pack 2 and 3, and Windows 7 - I have 7 on the computer), but nothing helps.

I started a new player, and in the beginning (as with the first one) it barely crashed at all. Now that I've finally started getting somewhere with that one, it starts to crash all the time as well. It's just a matter of time before the game won't let me use that player either.

Back