• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

HELP please! The Shadowplay Trap

Marki

Sailor
Hallo Mates, I need your help. I have a GeForce 660 GTX and wanted to make some records - of Gentlemen of Fortune for example, so downloaded GeForceExperience and with that Shadowplay. A recording software I actually liked, my son is recording Minecraft gameplay with it on his pc. So I installed it on mine too. One feature is searching for newest drivers, which seemed to be a good idea.
But it was not. Because before installing the newest drivers, it was obviously uninstalling other, older ones. Something like "WM9" or similar and other drivers and "things".
As a result of that the Storm Engine is crashing now ... thank you very much, GeForceExperience.
I guess I have to install some stuff again. But I don't know what. Please help, I'm having a hard time at sea at the moment.

Oh man, the land of the drivers seems to be a big and dangerous territory. I have no list of what was uninstalled, so I need a list of what is needed to make the storm engine run, hmm. Can't access to my ships, :shock:fiddle:modding. Land of the drivers I come:checklist.

Uh ohh. It sounds like you will need to do a cleanout and reinstall. I use AMD so do not know what utility is best for nvidia drivers, but try Driver Cleaner Pro and then install new drivers. I guess start with the latest and if they don't work clean them out and try older drivers.

Thanks for answering Hylie! I downloaded Driver Cleaner Pro, but just still feel too unfamiliar with drivers to use that tool. Want to try smaller steps first. Since the storm engine crashes when the initialization of DirectX is happening, I tried to install everything from the redist folder of original COAS disc again. There is a specific version of DirectX (DirectX9c), AdobeReader (AdbeRdr90_en_US) and wmv (wmv9VCMsetup). The problem here seems to be and seems to be a known unsolved problem in different forums: You can't install DirectX 9 if a higher version is installed and there is no way to downgrade. It is possible to download material from microsoft such as DirectX 9 End User Runtime, there are a lot of different versions, tried this and that, but there is obviously no possibility to get all directX dlls at once. How can I know what I need exactly. Found no solution so far.
About a week ago I installed Windows 10 and after that all my Age of Pirates/POTC games still runned like a charm, so I decided now to downgrade to 8.1 and then to upgrade again - hoping this will solve my problems.
Anyway, there is a big problem ahead for our beloved pirate games if this DirectX mess can't be fixed.
Hylie, do you think it's possible to uninstall DirectX 11 or 12 with Driver Cleaner Pro, so that the installation from redist folder would properly work? I've read in forums I shouldn't even try this, but instead install the correct:shrugDirectX9 runtime/end user whatever environment. Others say there is no solution at all ...:nogood
Why, O Lord, can't they just ensure compatibility (whoever might be responsible :shrug)?

Next time i get my beloved games running, I'll let my PC become old like a stone, no upgrade of nothing, just leave it standing there as it is. For about 15 years or so:rofl

Last edited:
Just noticed: windows compatibility problem analysis sais now: start.exe incompatible program. Come on, don't.

Downgraded to 8.1 and upgraded again and you know what? storm engine is running again:monkeydance:monkeydance:monkeydance:monkeydance:monkeydance:monkeydance:monkeydance:monkeydanceI don't know why, just want to leave the land of drivers and set sail. My final advice as a noob: Don't let anyone update your GeForce drivers or someone else is taking over your ships and you're f..... up at land.

I'm glad you found a solution. :onya

I upgraded to Win X and also to the latest AMD drivers and GOF2 ran fine......until the hard drive died. :facepalm I will be reinstalling it soon and do hope I don't have the problems you had.

I hope that too. Our games are permanently endangered:wootWanted to play hta hard truck apocalypse cool game, also russian, a little bit like age of pirates with trucks and cars, already too old to work properly, only crack possibilities, and these don't work either and I SAID I'll leave my machine as it is:roflWill be a hard task for me. Thanks Hylie and good luck!

Back