• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Help, stuck right at the start!

Trubi

Landlubber
So... I'm at the start of the game. Just when you are at the ship, and the captain tells you he is giving you the ship.
I take the items from the chest, and there is also a weapon rack from which I cant take the items (I can only have 6 powder and bullets at the inventory, and there are another 6 of each at the weapon rack), but then the captain says I still haven't taken all my items. :facepalm

Help, please

Which modpack version are you playing with? One of the Build 14 Beta's, I think?
Did you change the default starting ship? Or are you playing on Iron Man Mode?

You sure it is not Iron Man Mode? That one enables "Evil Stormy Start", which gives you the tartane "Leaky Bucket" as starting ship instead.
It works fine if you use that as intended by using the last option in the opening dialog; but for some reason, it doesn't work properly when you play through the tutorial like normal.

I was going to wait with fixing that properly until Beta 3, because that is when we will allow starting ship selection again.
Temporary other fixes could be:
1. Only giving you that Tartane after the opening scene if you use Stormy Start
2. Only allowing the Stormy Start option on Iron Man Mode
Not sure which would be the best option. I'd actually welcome some input on that one. :wp

Simple workaround:
1. Use the Stormy Start dialog option for a proper challenging opening scenario
2. Start the game on Arcade/Realistic Mode and switch to Iron Man Mode after leaving the ship

Oh... you're right. I was trying to play on Iron Man Mode. I thought I checked realistic mode. Sorry!

Thanks for the help.

And there was me thinking I could get away with not fixing that issue just yet. Thanks for proving me wrong! :razz

Now, if only I could minimize the game without it becoming a black screen... :(

Any known fix for that, please?

Yes. In your engine.ini the first line is: full screen = 1. Change it to 0 and it will run in windowed mode.

Use windowed and set resolution to your monitors resolution. This way you have a window of your full screens size, which effectively works as fll scree, but technically is windowed :8q

Only bad thing is, when you try to use a widescreen resolution on the game (due to it being so old), it looks like everything's stretched out on windowed and fullscreen, lol.

Only the interfaces, right? Doesn't look so bad to me. But then I suppose I've gotten used to it.

Only the interfaces, right? Doesn't look so bad to me. But then I suppose I've gotten used to it.

Perhaps for Beta 3 we should work on making a widescreen version of the interface, once PirateKK's work has been merged?
We did work out how to do that a while ago, but deemed it too much work for the short term.

That would be pretty cool, if someone would be willing to add it in. We'd have to code in a toggle on it then too, of course.
But since I have been messing around with the interfaces lately, I might be able to figure that out.

I'm looking forward to when Beta 3 is done and we've got all Pirate_KK's work included properly.
Wouldn't it be wonderful to be able to release Build 14? I mean... the REAL one!?! :woot

That would be pretty cool, if someone would be willing to add it in. We'd have to code in a toggle on it then too, of course.
But since I have been messing around with the interfaces lately, I might be able to figure that out.
I'll gladly lend a hand when the time comes. :onya

I'm looking forward to when Beta 3 is done and we've got all Pirate_KK's work included properly.
Wouldn't it be wonderful to be able to release Build 14? I mean... the REAL one!?! :woot

What, and stick a "Final" label on it? Now that would be nice... not sure it will ever be completely "finished", though. SO many things to fix and improve... :type1

There was a Build 13 after Build 12. We've been working on a Build 14 ever since. Who is to say there cannot be a Build 15? Or at least some updates afterwards. :wp

I guess it depends on whether Hearts of Oak materialises into something substantial enough for us all to work on...

Well, IF there is a build 15, we'd need to make it that much better than build 14, essentially, this time, we'd need to port it all to a better engine to handle more stuff...

Back