• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Fixed help the church

Hylie Pistof

Curmudgeon
QA Tester
Storm Modder
Pirate Legend
In the Sea Hawk storyline there is something wrong with the Help the church side quest.

I did it according to plan. Got the letters and talked to everyone. The quest book says all is well, but when I went back to Port Royal and talked to the priest the dialog stops when I am supposed to hand over the letters.

There is some mention of it in the system.log.

Attachments

• system.log
    3.3 KB · Views: 140
I have just completed the Sea Hawk storyline, and there was no problem with the Help the Church side quest.

Interesting. I have never had any trouble with this before. What version are you playing?

Code:
DIALOG: Invalid text or links, emergency exit! (last link = church_help_done)
Unloading
That doesn't happen very often. Do you have a savegame just prior to that point?

I am playing version 3.2,and it works fine. Windows 8.1 64bit

I can get a save game as I have tried it three times since and the dialog is missing every time.

This install is maybe 1 1/2 years old and might have become corrupted. Perhaps replacing that dialog file will fix it. Which dialog file is it?

These are the files:

PROGRAM\DIALOGS\Father Bernard_dialog.c
PROGRAM\DIALOGS\ENGLISH\Father Bernard_dialog.h

Well, that error message refers to church_help_done. In the C file it refers to a [19]. In the H file line 19 is a line of mine but nothing triggers it.

I had to leave early this morning and didn't get a good look at it. Later today I will create a new POTC install and then compare the C and H files.

Well, I made an archive 3.2 install and Winmerged the 2 folders, old and new. They are identical. What else could cause my install to not work there when others are ok?

To Hylie
I`m so sorry! There is inded a bug.I remember it wrong, just controled it over again. Pardon Sir.

Eh? It does not work for you either Ansel?

Here is a save just before entering the church in the Standard storyline and some screenies. The one in the church is where the dialog stops and the other is the quest book showing all is going according to plan.
beta3 2014-06-24 14-16-24-76.jpg beta3 2014-06-24 14-17-59-81.jpg

Attachments

• -=Player=- Jamaica.7z
    597.4 KB · Views: 119
It does not work for me . I got exactly the same problem like you.What about the side quest 'Strange things going on
in the Caribbean' has it got the same problem?

"Build Info.txt" in Beta 3.2 includes this line:
Father Bernard "Skill Reset" functionality fixed by El Rapido
Is it possible that this fix had some unintended side effect?

The "Help the Church" quest certainly used to work because I completed "Tales of a Sea Hawk" and all associated side quests under Beta 3. So if there's a problem with the code rather than just the saved game files then it must have been introduced in either Beta 3.1 or Beta 3.2.

"Build Info.txt" in Beta 3.2 includes this line:
Father Bernard "Skill Reset" functionality fixed by El Rapido
Is it possible that this fix had some unintended side effect?
That does sound very possible. See if the Beta 3.1 version of that file DOES work.
That should confirm it.

I can't find any mention in "Build Info.txt" of anything being done to Father Bernard or that part of the storyline in Beta 3.1. If the files really weren't changed in Beta 3.1 then you can get the unmodified ones from the Contents Archive. Otherwise you'll have to do it the hard way - reinstall from scratch, install Beta 3.1, copy the files somewhere out of harm's way, then install Beta 3.2.

It does not work for me . I got exactly the same problem like you.What about the side quest 'Strange things going on
in the Caribbean' has it got the same problem?

I am playing that side quest and am stuck there until this gets resolved. This is my first play through of the standard storyline since beta 3 so do not know when this bug was introduced.

Who has beta 3.1?

Back