• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

[HELP] Worst Pirat/Merchant ever - What do?

shey

Landlubber
Hey,

I registred here to download the Fix for GoF 1.1 and now i got a question bc im depressed since a week. I thought i dont suck so much, but even GoF couldnt help to improve myself. :)

So i kinda fail withing 1 hour, everytime I play the game. (With Peter Blood in the first run about 20 times over 5 hours, but thats another story...)

I just dont know what to do at all. I wanted to try the same as "Captains Log GoF 1.1" - start as a Pirate and work myself up till I can be legit. You know what? I failed - about 10 times. It seems like i cant take over ships without Fighters. Thats Okay, so i just have to recruit them. Next Try: Failed. Some small Ship simply didnt let me to get even near...

It just seems like its impossible for me to get into the game.

Even Swordfights with more than 1 Person, when I cant position myself that just 1 fight me at the same time are almost impossible. (2 is SOMETIMES okay..)

Well, are there any tips I didnt read yet? Like a Step by Step guide what to do in the beginning if I want to be a bad boy OR a good boy?

Would be awesome to get some help here. I like the game, i really raged 2-3 times, but inthe end i want to try it again. :)

Thanks for reading so far! - Arrr

Greetings

This game is by far the most dificult in the beginning. Once you level up and get some personal and ship perks, it gets better. I am not all that good, eventhough I have developped a char for each nation but I dare not go above Capt. dificulty. Try running cargo and hire officers as soon as you can. Do not buy ships or upgrade them at first for you may be able to grasp a better one. If you have 50 to 80K, the Wydah or some such was a nice ship to run freight and has a good amount of crew for the price or the Brigantiene for about 30k. Starting on a lower difficulty at first and sticking to it would be the best thing, imo. Furthermore, if you do play the MOD, go into the Mod options and make it not so realistic. Hope this helps.

Train your fencing skills with drunk men in taverns and cheater dice players. Travelling by land you can find lonely robbers in the beginning, although you can find groups too and then you have to run, (put off your sword).
In some places you can fight skeletons one on one from behind a narrow passage. Not easy but they drop good loot.
Do trader missions and port control missions (lost log book). Train your skills and train your crew. Crew experience and morale are very important in boardings.
In short, learn to run first, and then try little fishes. Avoid difficulty levels above captain like posted before. Do the blue bird quest once you have a good boarding crew. Have fun

Thank you so far.

The problem is, that im playing on the 2nd difficult level (I just couldnt smile in the end if it really would be the most easy one). Everytime I try to fight with a drunkard, the barkeeper interrupts it and the next time I speak to that dude, he will just play a game. I only did fight one dude, as I bought a fake Treasure Map after I did the Starting QUests with Peter Blood and ended up with 55k after.

Can you may give me Fencing tips, too? My timing for all the Shift-Attacks sometimes lose me a fight, i wouldnt lose with a bit bad luck. Shift + Rightclick is okay for the slow attack which cant be blocked, but Shift + Mousescroll seems almost never to work. Also I dont know what to do, when I face more than 1 enemy without good positioning. (Lets say I am boarding one and end up in a corner with 2-4 angry dudes around me, above me wood, so i cant even see them properly all the time and I have to be afraid if some1 is behind me...)

Once upon a time there was light in my life, and they simply shot me in the beginning.

Isnt it better to play with realistic Cannon damage if I want to make money with the not-so-nice way? How do I even get the Ability Points? I once got one Point, was happy, then I died and deleted the Profile because I died about 10 times there, too.

Thank you for helping a newb out. Who doesnt even know how to get the other flags (hidden question in text? :D)... But I think i should get them, when I take over a ship from that nation.

Oh, one last question for now: How do i speak with other Captains on sea? When I engange on the Map, they start shooting. Tried to "Start Boat" but nothing seemed to happen...

Mhmm, I just remembered another Question from me... What are Companions good for? Can I get them away? I dont want to pay some1 else then my officers and my Crew.

Thank you very much. :)

Greetings

This is a bit too many questions, have you read the manual booklet? A lot of the answers are there. We have it on the Forum in a pdf format, I have seen the post somewhere. Do not get frustrated nore discouraged at first. Hope this helps.

/EDIT
http://forum.piratesahoy.net/index.php/topic/17823-english-manual-for-age-of-pirates-2city-of-abandoed-ships/

I did read it & I did read the last 9 pages in Forums, but it didnt helped me as much I hoped...

Greetings

Thank you so far.

The problem is, that im playing on the 2nd difficult level (I just couldnt smile in the end if it really would be the most easy one). Everytime I try to fight with a drunkard, the barkeeper interrupts it and the next time I speak to that dude, he will just play a game. I only did fight one dude, as I bought a fake Treasure Map after I did the Starting QUests with Peter Blood and ended up with 55k after.

Can you may give me Fencing tips, too? My timing for all the Shift-Attacks sometimes lose me a fight, i wouldnt lose with a bit bad luck. Shift + Rightclick is okay for the slow attack which cant be blocked, but Shift + Mousescroll seems almost never to work. Also I dont know what to do, when I face more than 1 enemy without good positioning. (Lets say I am boarding one and end up in a corner with 2-4 angry dudes around me, above me wood, so i cant even see them properly all the time and I have to be afraid if some1 is behind me...)

Once upon a time there was light in my life, and they simply shot me in the beginning.

Isnt it better to play with realistic Cannon damage if I want to make money with the not-so-nice way? How do I even get the Ability Points? I once got one Point, was happy, then I died and deleted the Profile because I died about 10 times there, too.

Thank you for helping a newb out. Who doesnt even know how to get the other flags (hidden question in text? :D)... But I think i should get them, when I take over a ship from that nation.

Oh, one last question for now: How do i speak with other Captains on sea? When I engange on the Map, they start shooting. Tried to "Start Boat" but nothing seemed to happen...

Mhmm, I just remembered another Question from me... What are Companions good for? Can I get them away? I dont want to pay some1 else then my officers and my Crew.

Thank you very much. :)

Greetings
Ok, i'll show you some advanced fighting techniques that only a chosen few have managed to kow so far.
The first are supernatural reflexes. Whenever you are in a tough fight press minus twice (numeric keypad), and you will be granted panther reflexes. You can evade shots and you can parry and hit like neo in matrix.

Second is time warping binding. Let's say you are about to engage in a most dangerous situation. So you press F6 before putting your life in risk. If you exit the situation alive you may continue, but if it happens that you die, or you are going to die, just press F9 and you will be warped to the time reality when you activated this feature, so you can try your luck again or you can avoid danger completly.

Third is travel insurance. Prior to starting a new sea adventure press ESC and SAVE all your belongings. If your ship ends in the bottom of the sea, or your life at the sharp edge of a cutlass, just LOAD your travel insurance and you and your possesions will be restored intact.

Now some advices, stay away of Peter Blood quest. If by chance you don't and you are able to escape the island, sail to a french port and moore your frigate at port control. You know, that frigate is cursed, the Black Pearl is not the only cursed ship in the Caribbean.

Forget what i said about fighting drunkards in taverns. If you talk to drunkards you could awaken the curse of the Flying Dutchman upon you. You've been warned.

Caribbean captains have a bit odd characters sometimes. For no apparent reason, if you dare to wave an english flag in front of a spanish or dutch captain they may well attack you without hesitation. The same happens with other nations up to the pirate flag which (strangely enough) is hated equally by all captains regardless nationality. It seems pirates don't have friends, not even other pirates.

So after some travels you could see in your character parchment that your ship or your personal abilities have increased in 1 or more. Then you could double click one perk of your choice to focus your development, and you could take another nation flag and pretend to be from that nation or one of their allies in order to sneak in their ports. Needless to say, you should make a travel insurance before taking such risks.

**8 Days later**

I... am... not... talented... as... a...... ... Seaman... or any kind of *living* being in the Carribean.

I still think, hat i would have been a nice Pirate in that time in RL. I mean: how logically is it, that everyone knows that I am me, when i wear some different stuff on the other side of the world with a new ship, new officers...

:(

Bummer, dude, bummer.
Perhaps, you should start a new playthrough on Sailor difficulty as a Frenchman or a Dutchman (they have only one hostile house).
Stay away from P Blood and the pirate chars. There is a ship from the starter ships ( have gotten it once) it has over 2k hold and looks like a mini Galeon or some such. Start new chars. from scratch till u get it (u will know it when u have it). Do not focuss on buying all crew and ammo, focus on trade missions, even if u r with 5-10 crew. Avoid encounters (hint: when u 1st see the hook from a distance, hit the engage button-if done right, the enemy will be still far away and u can get right back into sail mode). Within a few hours, you should be good to go. I hope this helps.

P.S.
Always have meds, rum and food for the crew and powder for the guns. :cheers

Ok some tips for you.
1. Start game on sailor (keep starting over till you get a Bermsloop or better)
2. Sell all goods that are not needed.
3. Stock up the following goods. Medicine = 100 units, Weapons = 70 units, ammo (all types) = 60, powder = 100, food = 50 and rum = 100.
4. If your ships cargohold is 500 to 700 you will have used quiet a lot of space but don't worry. Talk with the merchant (store owner) and accept the Blue Bird quest.
5. Speak with the store owner again about any jobs he needs doing aka merchant runs. If he say's your ships hold isn't big enough then spend a few nights and try again.
6. Repair your ship at the shipyard.
7. Once you have a merchant job, hire some crew.
8. Save the game before exiting to worl map.
9. Try to avoid getting into any battles, use friendly ports to help you fight off any enemy ships that you can't escape from.
10. Focus only on merchant runs for a while.
11. As and when you have the money look in the tavern for a navigator and treasurer as these are very important people, once you have one of them add them to the role you hired them for.
12. If you do get into a naval battle, ask yourself can you escape. Ships have different characteristics, sqaure sailed ships will struggle to sail into the wind so ships like Xebecs are very good for that but have a small cargohold. If you find yourself against a Xebec and can't go back to the world map then you will most likely have to fight it unfortunatelly, you can try to sail away but keep an eye on there speed compared yours and if you can see a friendly port any where sail towards it if you can. Remember hitting the Xebecs sails is very hard so its going to take a lot of shots to slow the ship down, if you have to fight her then use bombs because these wil damage the sails, crew and hull. So each shot that hits its taregt is going to be more effectiuve then any of the other shots. Saying that round shot will do more damage to the ships hull than the bomb, grapeshot will kill the crew faster and chainshot will damage the sails faster. Your aim right now though is to try and damage her as much as you can so you can ascape, and try to avoid sail damage yourself. So use battle sails ie, set sails to half sails rather than full sails. Once enough damage has been done and you have the speed advantage set full sails and sail off into the sunset.

Hope this helps.

Back