• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Here's something we may want to look into

FireBat

Landlubber
Storm Modder
Pirate Legend
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concurrent_Versions_System

Not much else to say here...just take a look.

What do you think? Is it something that we could apply for our uses?

This is an interesting idea, I can see how it might help solve some issues we have had. Something like this would be a great help when we get into transferring the Build Mod over to CoAS.

I'm not sure if we could run something like this off the same server we are using for the FTP or not, it would depend a lot on what processes are allowed to run on the server. And even if we could, we are apparently already running into bandwidth issues as it is. I am all for the concept, I have absolutely no idea how we would go about implementing something like this though. :shrug

We actually had that for a while for the PotC Build Mod until the server crashed.
It IS useful, that's for sure. But we never managed to get the other modders to make proper use of it.
So it was just Aconcagua (who set it up for us an ran it off his server), Screwface and me who used it. :facepalm

well, perhaps when we are prepared to port over the build mod, we can take a long hard look at this again. There is going to be a lot of work going down on that and it will be easy for us to lose track of who is doing what

Personally I feel a version tracking system is an important part of keeping everything squared away and well cared for. Helps keep track of who is doing what and what kind of status each job is at within a project.

Cap'n Drow

Especially if we can convince all coders to actually USE it.
Last time we tried, that REALLY didn't happen.

shouldn't be that hard this time around. It is just matter of stressing the amount of work that needs to be done...and how much faster it would get done if everyone is working on things seperately. Even if not EVERYONE is using, I'm sure convincing the majority of the modders wont be tough

I didn't manage last time, despite my repeated stressing of the subject.
Similar to my stressing that you people should start using the ModDB.
I've been doing that for about half a year now, with absolutely no results! :whipa

xD: I would use the modDB i even have an account. However any mods that I release are just an add on of mods that are only posted here. (IE CMv3)

The only mod posted for COAS is This one

I would be prepared to add CMv3.1(.5) if it could be uploaded as a single download (which i could do by just adding all the mods to a single zip file) Yet, on that same note, I don't feel that I have the authority to do it. Its not 'my' mod. I barely had anything to do with it..xD: I would feel more comfortable if a Moderator/Admin representing PA! would do that. Just the internet community that i come from originally talkin.

The only mod posted for COAS is This one
Yep; that's the one I posted there because nobody else would do it.
I set up the profile, posted what was the most up-to-date version at the time and since nobody continued with it, it's now very out of date.

I would be prepared to add CMv3.1(.5) if it could be uploaded as a single download (which i could do by just adding all the mods to a single zip file)
As far as I'm concerned, I'd MUCH appreciate if you WOULD do that!

Yet, on that same note, I don't feel that I have the authority to do it. Its not 'my' mod. I barely had anything to do with it..xD:
It'd be better that you post it than that it's me doing it, like before.
After all, it REALLY isn't "my" mod, because I didn't do even the slightest amount of work on it.
Well, in the past month I've been supporting you people and wrote some code that might have found its way in there somewhere,
but especially when I posted that was is still there, I hadn't done a single thing.
Same for the AoP Supermod, which I also posted on the ModDB so people can find it, but I never did a single thing for AoP.

So since you ARE involved in CoAS modding and I'm not really, I think it'd be better that you'd take care of all that.
Because I won't and I shouldn't.

I would feel more comfortable if a Moderator/Admin representing PA! would do that. Just the internet community that i come from originally talkin.
Well, as per my post here, I'm thinking maybe you COULD be a Moderator for us! :cheeky

If most of my time wasn't taken up with things at home, I would dedicate more time here. But work and other things here keep taking up time. I do try to be around as much as I can though.

I'll try to get myself over to the ModDB page and get things updated but again, its a time limitation thing.

Cap'n Drow

no worries mate! Thats what other users are here for. Luckily (or unluckily...if u are already getting annoyed by my pestering) i have nothing but time. Even at 'work', I can do work here. Basically that means that if I am not here...I'm sleeping xD;

Its too bad not all of us are that lucky...

just took a quick gander but if this is anything like YOMATOOLS or ADDONSYNC for ARMA 2 than its cool cos you can release lots of betas to the community easily just hit one button and client syncs/updates to server but we need to expand our community to really take advantage of that much updating.

Reading more i see its like a open project so diff people can all work on same program.... neat! so then yes the next step is delegation of tasks.... to whom? find out who the team is! recruit sailors! find people and see what they can/are willing to do. Even if they fall off the face of the planeta month later, if they put something in, well, better than nothing right?

Id love to contribute in any way possible, i just need a leader, or project manager, to whom can find out what i might be able to contribute and then give me something to work on. A few more people like me, hopefully with real modding experience, and the ball is rolling.

Speaking totally cluelessly here, but if we are going to be porting features from the build to COAS, you could have actual use from someone like me who isnt really a coder or modeller, but is a mean copy/paster and tester right?

It really is a remarkable system. There has been a bit of talk of reviving it from the ashes, however you are correct in your statement that the community has to expand further for it to become effective.

However, on that note, we are currently developing a process by which members can apply to be part of the team that would bring our vision to the 'CM" to completion. There are a few of us working on it now, but we lack the man-power to see it completed in a resonable amount of time.

There some aspects to porting over that would suit a 'mean copy/paster' however there are also some aspects that require the services of a code guru :bow: Unfortuantly it is not just simply a matter of copy/pasting, or the build mod would have been ported long ago.

However, in the case of being a tester, there are currently undiscovered (im sure) bugs in both the build mod and the cm that need to be found and fixed. And since the staff cannot both code and test extensively, we are always in need of those who are willing to find bugs and post them in the Bug Tracker Until we are confident that the bugs in both mods have been ironed out, we will not be porting over anything.

As a suggestion id advise you to rather use SVN instead. Especially for development as it has version history, revert to version and even changes that were made between 2 versions.

Just my 2 cents since we are using SVN for ESF and the previously mentioned features saved us a lot of trouble, especially if someone accidentally uploaded something game breaking.

We had a system in place before and if all goes well, we'll get it back again at some point in the future.
It worked quite well and contained merging and version control.

Back