1. Dismiss Notice
  2. GOG.com logo

Thanks to YOUR votes, GOG.com now sells:
    - Sea Dogs - Sea Dogs: Caribbean Tales
    - Sea Dogs: City of Abandoned Ships

Vote now to add Pirates of the Caribbean to the list!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Under the Crossbones Podcast

A Pirate Podcast with Interviews
    Music, Comedy and all things Pirate!

- Episode Guide - About - Subscribe -
    - Twitter - Facebook - iTunes - Android -
    - Youtube - Fill the Coffers -

Dismiss Notice
  4. New Horizons logo

Quick links for PotC: New Horizons
    - Download latest version
    - Wiki - FAQ - Report bugs here
    - ModDB profile

5. GOF logo

Quick links for AoP2: Gentlemen of Fortune 2
    - Downloads and info
    - Historical Immersion Supermod
    - ModDB Profile

Dismiss Notice
New to the forum?
Please take a moment to read our Welcome Message and Forum Rules.

Slow Progress HMS Bellona (1760 version)

Discussion in 'Development' started by Armada, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Pieter Boelen

Pieter Boelen (Not So) Old Seadog Staff Member Administrator Storm Modder Hearts of Oak Donator

Maritime Research: Project Engineer (Analysis)
    Part of that has already been started.
    If you try the NHR current version, when you go to sea, the player character is loaded on the deck of the same ship model that you sail around. :woot

2. Armada

Armada Sea Dog Staff Member Administrator Project Manager 3D Artist Storm Modder

Game Developer
    For ships that have cabin interiors and lower decks, yes. We might have to use the generic cabins for ships that don't have them, but we could also use similar ships' cabins with the doors closed.

For example: a different 74 without a cabin interior (e.g. the Superbe from the NH mod) could use its own deck for most purposes, and load the Bellona's cabin when you approach the doors.

Martes and Captain Armstrong like this.
  3. Captain Armstrong

Captain Armstrong Shipbuilding Coordinator Staff Member Coordinator 3D Artist Storm Modeller Storm Modder

She looks amazing indeed! Very clean, and the new textures look damn near perfect. I'll certainly want to use them for the Southampton in NHR, and I daresay they could be the basis of a standard.:keith

Perhaps a crouching stance will be simpler, in the long run? This problem will surely recur on other ships, especially smaller ones. Though not making colliders for the deck beams will help either way!

I'd say your to-do list looks spot on, though those carvings sound daunting!
    I think i have a Pin model on the FTP with LODs which I made for the Southampton(thought that is simple enough to make of course). Same goes for the Stove- I know the one from the Hebe should be up there, but that is of course to a french pattern. If the model isn't already up there, I can export and send you the Southampton's stove!

Armada likes this.
  4. Armada

Armada Sea Dog Staff Member Administrator Project Manager 3D Artist Storm Modder

Game Developer
    Thanks! I'll gather the textures together and upload them later. I'll probably include the coloured versions I'm currently using as well as a neutral grey version that can be recoloured easily.

It could be done by dynamically changing the size of the character's collider, but we'd need to create a crouching animation or find a suitable on the Asset Store. We'll see how it works without the deck beam colliders first (there's not really any reason to have those, anyway).

I'll have to see how well I can fake some of the intricate carvings to keep the polycount down, which will be interesting. ;)

I downloaded the assets you had on the HoO FTP a while ago, and there's definitely a stove, though it seems a bit small with a short chimney. There's also a high-poly stove from Wedori, though I'm not sure which ship it's from.

Captain Armstrong likes this.
  5. Captain Armstrong

Captain Armstrong Shipbuilding Coordinator Staff Member Coordinator 3D Artist Storm Modeller Storm Modder

Smart idea for allowing easy coloration! I'm sure there will be plenty of hues people will want to make. Perhaps I underestimated the work involved for the animation, and given that not creating beam colliders is in fact making less work, thats surely the thing to try first!

And now that you mention it I think the stove on the Southampton is Wedori's from the Sphynx-I was thinking Bava had already made it as part of the ship, but looking at the pics it's a match. I wouldn't be surprised if stoves designed for frigates didn't scale up well for a 74!

6. Martes

Martes Master Mariner Storm Modeller Storm Modder

Oh, I would also like to try those textures, if it is possible.

7. Armada

Game Developer
    OK, I've uploaded the textures here: http://piratesahoy.bowengames.com/NewHorizonsRemastered/Assets/Textures/New_Bellona_Textures1.zip

The zip file includes the following 1024 x 1024px PNGs:
    • Hvide_Planks2 (hull planking) in 4 colours plus grey (neutral) and normal map
    • DealWood2 (softwood) in 2 colours plus neutral and normal map
    • WoodPlain (generic wood grain) in 5 colours plus neutral and normal map
    • wood_2b (mast wood) in light brown plus neutral and normal map
    If there are any other specific ones you'd like, please let me know.

For best results, I recommend using these with a PBR shader in your 3D package, if supported (Maya has Stingray PBR). Use a Metallic value of 0 and roughness of around 0.3 - 0.4.

Captain Armstrong and Martes like this.
  8. Martes

9. Armada

Game Developer
    I visited the National Museum of the Royal Navy yesterday, and among the numerous exhibits and ship models, I found this hidden gem:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's a cutaway section of HMS Dragon, one of Bellona's sister ships, showing how she was loaded with supplies in 1769.
    I'm only modelling the Bellona's interior down to the gundeck for our needs, but these photos show a lot of detail in the lower decks that could prove useful later on.

Either way, I thought this was a really cool visualisation. It makes a change from trying to make sense of profile drawings and sketches. :read

10. Pieter Boelen

Pieter Boelen (Not So) Old Seadog Staff Member Administrator Storm Modder Hearts of Oak Donator

Brilliant, @Armada!!! :woot

What museum did you go to? The Portsmouth one?

11. Armada

Game Developer
    It's in the Portsmouth Historic Dockyard, right next to Victory. I went there last summer, but one day out isn't enough time to see all the exhibits, so I came back this year to fill in the gaps, which included this museum.

Lovely weather for it, too:
    [​IMG]

Martes and Pieter Boelen like this.
  12. Pieter Boelen

Holy crap, looks like you got all the sunshine in the South that wasn't here in the North! :rofl

Indeed I was at the Dockyard in Portsmouth for about a day, but could have easily stayed for a week.
    Truly impressive amount of nautical awesomeness they've got there! :shock

Armada likes this.
  13. Martes

The visualisation is indeed great, as is the idea of such diorama :)

Interesting, did the Dragon have the figurehead of her namesake?

14. Armada

Game Developer
    Not sure, though I do know the current HMS Dragon has one painted on her bow:

[​IMG]

15. Armada

Game Developer
    More updates: I'm midway through replacing the masts and yards with lower-poly versions that conform to the plans more closely. I imported the Rossiya's masts and upscaled them to give me a starting point, but I've basically ended up replacing everything from them except very minor components. So far, the bowsprit and mainmast are complete, with the other two soon to follow.

[​IMG]

Below, you can see a comparison with the mizzen from the Rossiya (albeit larger and with new yards). The stunsail booms aren't fitted on most yards yet.

[​IMG]

You might also notice she now has stern lanterns, too. I find they add a bit of style to the stern, and that's without any carvings on there yet...

[​IMG]

Below deck, I've fitted some pumps, including handles either side. I'd somehow left out this rather crucial component before now, and I'm not sure the crew would appreciate that. :oops:
    There's also a table in the wardroom now, though it still needs chairs around it.

I added another light source to show the detail on pumps slightly better:

[​IMG]

Meanwhile, lighting wasn't playing ball in the wardroom, so you'll have to excuse the darkness:

[​IMG]

Speaking of crucial features... behold the very latest technology in sanitation! :wp

These luxurious facilities include space for four men to do their business simultaneously, and efficient waste disposal directly into the ocean!
    (Warning: use is not advised during rough weather...)

[​IMG]

16. Pieter Boelen

17. philipjn

philipjn HoO Team Member 3D Artist

Wow, really impressive mate. The bar has bee raised again, you have really gone all out on her.