• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

HMS Indefatigable (1784) frigate

Absolutely brilliant work! :danceQuite a storied ship to model, and you've made her more graceful than I ever thought a Razee could be. I'd be very excited to sail her once in-game! This is a good reference for paint and other details, but I'd say you've hit it pretty spot on generally-I certainly prefer your interpretation of the carvings. HMS Indefatigable (1795) Model Design - The Art of Age of Sail What source are you working from for the spar dimensions? I notice yours look a bit shorter than on the model in the link, bit that could be the angle.

Edit: Just noticed the line between the black and yellow paint jogs up a bit inconsistently forward, should be an easy fix!

To do sails and rigging you will need GMViewer and TOOL. To get an idea of what it will be like scan this thread. WIP - Centurion

Thanks, I will try to look it over :) I do have the tools and tried to use them, but... One thing is to get models out of the game, getting one back is quite another.

made her more graceful than I ever thought a Razee could be

Oh, those can be extremely graceful for some reason. Like a battlecruiser for their times. Strangely, most of them were done after the war, 1814 onwards, and saw no significant action (Majestic, Elephant, for example, but they show completely different architecture). Would be interesting to see a razee variant of the "Temeraire" (Superb), but as far as I know only French have done some, and all I found was a very late (1865!) photo.

Minerve_1865.jpg

What source are you working from for the spar dimensions? I notice yours look a bit shorter than on the model in the link, bit that could be the angle.

Oh, hell, I was so busy with those damned UV maps, I forgot to adjust them to the drawing. But I was going to add there some ropes anyway, so it's not too late.

This is a good reference for paint and other details

As you can see, while I definitely used and reused everything that model's author has posted (and he has a plenty, including drawings), there are things we don't completely see eye to eye for.

I definitely can't take credit for the intricate carvings, I have taken them off partly from the Bellona, partly from Indiaman model, but their positioning (and the reason for only 4 white columns) is mostly due to this model:

http://collections.rmg.co.uk/mediaLib/854/media-854651/large.jpg

Which I thought may just represent the contemporary style with a tiny-tiny bit of archaism.

Edit: Just noticed the line between the black and yellow paint jogs up a bit inconsistently forward, should be an easy fix!

On which set of images? I did shift the black paint up to cover the whole main wale, since it kind of looks better in profile, so that particular problem should have disappeared.

Thanks, I will try to look it over :) I do have the tools and tried to use them, but... One thing is to get models out of the game, getting one back is quite another.

Oh, those can be extremely graceful for some reason. Like a battlecruiser for their times. Strangely, most of them were done after the war, 1814 onwards, and saw no significant action (Majestic, Elephant, for example, but they show completely different architecture). Would be interesting to see a razee variant of the "Temeraire" (Superb), but as far as I know only French have done some, and all I found was a very late (1865!) photo.

As you can see, while I definitely used and reused everything that model's author has posted (and he has a plenty, including drawings), there are things we don't completely see eye to eye for.

I definitely can't take credit for the intricate carvings, I have taken them off partly from the Bellona, partly from Indiaman model, but their positioning (and the reason for only 4 white columns) is mostly due to this model:

http://collections.rmg.co.uk/mediaLib/854/media-854651/large.jpg

Which I thought may just represent the contemporary style with a tiny-tiny bit of archaism.

On which set of images? I did shift the black paint up to cover the whole main wale, since it kind of looks better in profile, so that particular problem should have disappeared.

Regardless of where the carvings came from, it looks great! there was a significant cutback on carved works(figures and motifs on the stern etc) on royal navy ships once the war started, for economy-but it wasn't yet at the level of total austerity of say 1815 and later, so some scrolly bits look just right. With the Indy being finished as a 64 just post american revolution, any slightly older elements fit well too. The paint on the wales all looks perpendicular now-much better! :napoleon

IIRC the Indy and her sisters were cut down in response to both large purpose built french frigates and razeed 74s? The Majestic did at least see some action as a razee, taking the french Frigate Terpsichore, 38 in feburary of 1814. HMS 'Majestic' bearing down to attack the 'Terpsichore' and 'Atalante' 3 February 1814 She also initially lead the squadron chase (when the weather was heaviest) of the USS President,44 in 1815 which resulted in her capture-though she played a smaller role than the Endymion and the 38s in the actual fighting. Capture of USS President - Wikipedia

From what I recall the razeed 74s kept their long 32s, and replaced the 18s with 42pdr carronades- what beasts they must've been!

Actually, it would be nice to see a drawing for an early, 1780-90 French 74 razee, but I have yet to encounter one.

there was a significant cutback on carved works(figures and motifs on the stern etc) on royal navy ships once the war started, for economy-but it wasn't yet at the level of total austerity of say 1815 and later, so some scrolly bits look just right. With the Indy being finished as a 64 just post american revolution, any slightly older elements fit well too.

That's very close to my reasoning.
First, when I was looking for a better drawing of the gallery (which was an absolute pain to make, frankly, because of it's quite curved form in all three dimensions), I found the drawings and photos of Diana. I really loved her configuration, and noticed that her gallery actually scales up to Indy's drawings quite nicely with very little deformation on the way.

Then I discovered even the quaker-sober Constitution had much more elaborate stern when built than the one we know now, and combined, that gave me an indication of the style to follow.

Last edited:
Don't know if it counts for something...

It's Maya here.

i7_maya.png

I know, I know.
1. Never mind the light blue - I will replace it with something darker. Sometimes. Later.
2. Masts are still mounted and there are no ratlines yet, but, of course, I will see to that also.

But, HELL, she's TEXTURED.

And, for some reason why, in the old maya she looks so real you can almost touch her.

i7_maya_2.png i7_maya_1.png

Last edited:
That does indeed look awesome, and I can't wait to get my electronic hands on it so I can import it into PoTC! :cheers

Just in case anybody was wondering about the paint scheme:
003.JPG 1864-0008_001.JPG EZIfM8m.jpg 3-2263-1_002-1024x595.jpg
P.S. Found the right blue, it will show on later screenshots.

Last edited:
Looking great, I might have to reinstall POTC Just to sail her! :keithI just noticed there's a gap between the poop deck and the line of the bulwarks-this should be filled in by extruding part of the bulwark up to fit the line of the deck while you still have her in a modeling program and are working on the ratlines. Also its important to be sure she is scaled correctly for the game. If you can import something from the game (another ship or an object ) that you can figure out or guess the intended size of, you can check to see how it scales up to the units in maya. If someone else knows the scale offhand though, that would save this step

Looking great, I might have to reinstall POTC Just to sail her! :keithI just noticed there's a gap between the poop deck and the line of the bulwarks-this should be filled in by extruding part of the bulwark up to fit the line of the deck while you still have her in a modeling program and are working on the ratlines.

Oh, the poop deck is a sore point :)

indefatigable_as_frigate.jpg indefatigable stern.jpg
Looking at the drawings, you can see the deck goes clearly above the bulwark and forward of the mizzen, forming a roof above helm post. And that's what I tried to model. (all images clickable)
pdeck_detail.png

It can be planked over, but I very much doubt it will be better.

BTW, that's the new blue :cool:

Back