• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

HMS Indefatigable (1784) frigate

I don't know the technicalities of making yards move, but the last time I saw yards which didn't move, the reason was that they were part of the mast model. Are your yards also part of the mast models, or do they have their own "rey" model files?

Different meshes, attached via locators, after export found in their own gm files.

Seems to work.
Now I'll have to invert the spanker, though. :)

AHA!!!!

It was a capital "R" in "Rey".
They should be all in small letters!!!
Seriously?! I can't believe we've never come across this problem. Good catch! o_O

In the meantime, I beat the spanker and added the main course.
I will be slowly adding the sails, then.

One thing I noticed, that when a mast falls, staysails and some ropes may hang in the air. There is nothing that can be done here, I guess, but what is the current standard for dealing with this situation?

May I boast a little? :napoleon

ingame_3_1.png

ingame_3_2.png ingame_3_3.png ingame_3_4.png ingame_3_5.png

Does anyone know how to set Directional coordinates (XX – ZZ) for locators inside Maya? I would hate to type them in TOOL one by one for the whole gun battery.

EDIT: Found a way. :)
It's a little bit awkward - you have to set the rotation transform, and then adjust the coordinates (they may switch x with y, + with -, etc) until the locator appears in place.

Last edited:
Geoff-Hunt-H.M.S.-Indefatigable-1-1.jpg ingame_4_1.png
Applied "napoleonic" color scheme. It seems even more elegant to me now :)

Also, the gun batteries are ready and tested.

What remains is more rigging ropes, staysails, flags and either removing the crazy sailors running through decks or adjusting their paths :)))

Last edited:
One thing I noticed, that when a mast falls, staysails and some ropes may hang in the air. There is nothing that can be done here, I guess, but what is the current standard for dealing with this situation?
@Armada, @Hylie Pistof and @Grey Roger, do you know anything more about that?
I do know that stock PotC didn't have falling masts at all, so it was modded in and isn't 100% perfect...

May I boast a little? :napoleon
No, you may not. Rather, you may boast A LOT! :bow

She's pretty gorgeous.

It's always nice to see your own ship set sail for the first time, isn't it? ;)

All we can really do is try to make this look less weird, rather than prevent it completely. As long as the staysail locators belong to the mast aft of them (except the staysails above the bowsprit, which should belong to mast1), it doesn't look too bad if the mast in front falls

EDIT: Found a way. :)
It's a little bit awkward - you have to set the rotation transform, and then adjust the coordinates (they may switch x with y, + with -, etc) until the locator appears in place.
The gun locators are just rotated around the Y axis, though it sounds like you've got it working. :onya
For future reference, you can check this more easily if you select your locators and go to Display > Component Display > Local Rotation Axes. Then, just make sure each locator's local Z axis is pointing where the guns will fire.

It's always nice to see your own ship set sail for the first time, isn't it? ;)

It's hardly possible to describe, really :)
And the feeling I got when first fired the side carronade, and fire it did... :rolleyes:

Rigging. Hope I haven't overdone it.

ingame_5_1.png ingame_5_2.png

Staysails and flags next.

I got rid of the pesky animated crew and even not sure if I want to bring them back, after all they seemed to run quite chaotically, and hadn't especially contributed to the war effort. :bonaparte

Last edited:
No such thing. That still isn't as much rigging as the ship actually had.

One thing I never understood was the ropes running from the mizzen sails to the spanker. Since they turn in opposite directions why are they tied together? I always left them off even though they do show up in many blueprints.

A little trick. Do you see the curve along the bottom off the stay sails? If the 1 and 2 locators are swapped that curve will be along the back of the sails, which looks much better.

That still isn't as much rigging as the ship actually had.

Surely there are engine limitations? :)))

Anyway, I think it is representative enough.

One thing I never understood was the ropes running from the mizzen sails to the spanker. Since they turn in opposite directions why are they tied together? I always left them off even though they do show up in many blueprints.

The mizzen topsail and topgallant braces were connected to the deck using a block on the spanker:

Screenshot_2017-08-06_19-38-49.png

A little trick. Do you see the curve along the bottom off the stay sails? If the 1 and 2 locators are swapped that curve will be along the back of the sails, which looks much better.

Thanks, I will have to try it :)

EDIT: Yesss, it's much better!

Last edited:
I don't think anyone ever ran into any limitations with the number of ropes though.

Hehe, there is also some limit to what I can hold in my mind, despite attemts to make some system for numbering.
I have added lifts to yards (never mind me using the terminology, I didn't really know what all those damned things are called and what they are used for till yesterday!), and some more around the spritsail yard, and removed two hardcoded ropes from between foremast model and the bowsprit not to interfere with the fore staysail. You'll see on next screenshots, hopefully.

What shall we do with her data, though? Maneuverability, speeds, hitpoints, etc?

Last edited:
Rigging: done
Staysails: done
Flags: done (there was a problem with pennant, but I fixed it)
Fireplaces: done

Additionally, I separated the guns and the figurehead into individual attachable gm files.

ingame_6_1.png

Last edited:
Back