• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

HMS Indefatigable (1784) frigate

(*Unless anyone knows of a razée that moved the stern galleries down to the gundeck?)

Yes, I know. Majestic, Saturn, Barham... The 32 pounder monsters of later construction. They just can't be represented by small frigate model!

Perfect! Versions 1-3 are exactly what I had in mind.

OK, I will get to all that and send you the updated versions as soon as I have them ready.

I take it we are going to full gunport lids version, just for sake of the game standard?

P.S.

Is there any way to make lanterns glow in the dark in POTC, or it's later games only?

I take it we are going to full gunport lids version, just for sake of the game standard?
Not all ships in the game have lids on all ports, particularly ships-of-the-line. Some lower-detail models don't even have lids at all, even though they should.
In other words, I'd say don't worry about the other ships; stick to what you think looks best for this ship. ;)

Is there any way to make lanterns glow in the dark in POTC, or it's later games only?
We've tried almost every hack and workaround we could think of, but this version of the Storm engine just doesn't allow it, unfortunately.

Status update :)

I have fitted a lion from Frigate2, and a warrior (but had to tweak both so they would fit, and changed the pose of the warrior, and the way he holds the sword for more similarity to how it tentatively should have been).

Now to repaints.

Gunports.

I do believe I found a solution to satisfy if not all, but most of the opinions.

1. RN versions and the generic version of the ship will have waist gunport lids removed (variant 2).
2. Spanish and French versions will have them attached (variant 3).

Awesome! I shall need to look into this in detail and try to integrate it into the game for a final version.

In the meantime, I've been doing a bit of work to get the earlier version into the game because I can't wait to get at least something into the update archive. So...

British and French versions, in standard British pale cream and French light red respectively. A second flag is on the foremast and a second pennant on the mizzen, in addition to the main flag on the spanker and main pennant on the mainmast:
rn_indefatigable.jpg fr_indefatigable.jpg
(Interesting. I just noticed that the clouds in those screenshots are identical. That means clouds must be fixed patterns because those are from two different FreePlay games.)

They have interface pictures. They are repaint-compatible in the shipyard:
indefatigable_shipyard.jpg fr_indy_shipyard.jpg
And they show up in the ship selection menu for FreePlay, which is how I tested them:
fr_indy_ship_select.jpg

Meanwhile, the older versions now show up in ship selection as "Flushdeck frigate":
rn_razee_selection.jpg fr_razee_selection.jpg

Interesting. I just noticed that the clouds in those screenshots are identical. That means clouds must be fixed patterns because those are from two different FreePlay games.
They are just sky textures; you can find them in the Weather texture folder.

Hmm...
Accidentally ran across a mentioning on Victory website, that during her refit in 1800-1803 she had two additional gunports cut at bow side of the lower deck.
So they may have done it from time to time.

poi_1-3-8.jpg

A tale of composition and influence of minor details.

You wouldn't believe what bothered me to no end last days.

The bow part of the ship. Something felt not right, just on the edge of understanding. I knew I missed something, but just couldn't nail what (why do you think I tried to fit those bow chaser ports?..).

Well, I must note, I do have some obsession with ship's bows, as I can't but feel them as the face and personality of the vessel. And it was a torture to look at the Indy and think that there is something I don't like there. But what?

i_c_1.png

Position of the hawseholes? No, I already changed them a couple of times, even removing them completely, and then drilling them through the hull. And it didn't really help. Yes, the ended up a bit lower than on the drawing, but that may be still corrected. The gunports? No. Everything else seemed to be in order.

Until I, when comparing the drawing of the Indy to the later Leander, saw it.
I opened the model back, and there it was, a part I placed and thought I would fit better at some later point, and, obviously, left forgotten:

i_c_2.png
See? That damned thing was bigger, longer and fatter than it should have been in the first place.
So, I adjusted it. Very slightly, one might say, and I am sure almost nobody wouldn't have noticed the change unless specifically pointed to it.

i_c_3.png i_c_4.png
But somehow it felt much better. Frankly, I don't get it, how something that insignificant can change the whole perception of the ship, but it did!

i_c_g.png

Of course, I will reexport all the version models for @Grey Roger 's September Patch, as soon, of course, as I decide the fate of the hawseholes (although they, for the same strange composition reason look better just where they are). But now I am much more content with the configuration of my precious frigate.

Last edited:
Glad to hear you figured out your mystery!
You deserve to be proud of her. :onya

I have been enjoying this thread very much. But I must ask what happened to that wonderful bit of discussion about the HMS Blandford and The Grand Turk?

It seems to be missing now or disappeared. I was discussing with a friend that the Grand Turk was much older than we had thought. I think 1741 is what was said.

Hawseholes - redone, redrilled, moved to proper position as on the drawing, with butts and all. Because why stop :)
i_c_h_1.png

i_c_h_2.png

Last edited:
A tale of composition and influence of minor details.

You wouldn't believe what bothered me to no end last days.

The bow part of the ship. Something felt not right, just on the edge of understanding. I knew I missed something, but just couldn't nail what (why do you think I tried to fit those bow chaser ports?..).

Well, I must note, I do have some obsession with ship's bows, as I can't but feel them as the face and personality of the vessel. And it was a torture to look at the Indy and think that there is something I don't like there. But what?
I think it's fair to say most of us who have built a ship have had a similar obsession over specific details like that before. I certainly did with the Rossiya. :cheeky

That URL is the non-WWW version, which can occasionally cause problems if you switch between it and the normal URL. Make sure you're on www.piratesahoy.net to avoid this.

@Martes: upload the latest version of the basic hull model. I can easily enough make variants hex-edited to use your other texture files. Meanwhile, all existing versions are now fully integrated:
HMS Indefatigable with the new figurehead:
hms_indefatigable_bow.jpg

Basic British version:
rn_indefatigable.jpg

Spanish version:
sp_indefatigable.jpg sp_indefatigable_bow.jpg

Generic dark yellow version:
gen_indefatigable.jpg gen_indefatigable_bow.jpg

And all of them repaint-compatible in the shipyard:
indys_shipyard.jpg
HMS Indefatigable and the general British version use the same interface picture but have different text - the specific one has the original text about being a razeed Ardent class, while the general one just has the same sort of line as all the others about being a razeed warship with <insert colours> paint scheme.

upload the latest version of the basic hull model. I can easily enough make variants hex-edited to use your other texture files

I am thinking now to change the texture map of the base model to use different files for different parts.
For example, there will be something like "indy_gunstrip_yel.tga", "indy_fore_decor_yel.tga", "indy_stern_decor_yel.tga"etc, and you will be able to change them to other colors using HEX at will, creating any variantion that may suit.
While I will have to make but one export :)

Of course, it will take a couple of days, maybe a week even, but we aren't in a rush anywhere?

Edit:

After more extensive testing (and looking at various ship depictions) I noticed that the waterline value is more suited to be set to -0.25, even -0.3 (-0.1 is making her sit too deep, -0.5 - definitely too shallow), so I could recommend to change it for the next version.

Last edited:
Also, I think I accidentally found a solution to falling masts and staysails hanging in the air.
If you connect the staysail (which belongs to mast2) with one rope to mast2, for example, and one rope to mast3 (not neccessarily geometrically, but as locator parent), fall of any of the masts removes the sail!

Last edited:
Back