• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

HMS Surprise

I've just downloaded her, and I'll sort out the flags soon; I'll get her into the game first. ;)
But MAN that's a lot of textures! :shock

Was anything changed about the locators on the masts?
If not, my job with the flags will be much quicker, as I can just copy the old Surprise ones I made.

OK, she's in PotC successfully, now! :woot
I've done the flags and changed her ships_init entry, and I'll try to upload all the new files to the FTP soon.

HOWEVER, I'm a bit concerned; my computer makes a very strange short beeping noise every time the ship is loaded at sea... :8q
I've never heard this noise before... and yet the game isn't affected in any way. :?

Strange, on my pc she works great... boh :shrug
She works great on mine, too, but this noise is... odd. Probably nothing to worry about, though.
My best guess is that the computer isn't happy with loading so many texture files for the ship all at once. :shrug
Anyway, here's a screenshot:

[attachment=5415:New_Surprise.jpg]

A couple of small things I've noticed:
  • The crew seem to be loading the original guns, which are no longer there. I think the walk file needs editing a bit. They also seem to be floating above the deck a tiny bit.
  • At the bow, the point at which the ship breaks the waves seems to be affected by the wrong part of the bow. This is hard to describe, so I think I'll need another screenshot. (this problem affects the old surprise too)
  • There are no lanterns on the stern... aren't they meant to be there?
  • The stern gun ports which have been removed leave a gap in the stern's design. Again, I think a screenshot will show what I mean.

We've had beeping noises before, which apparently happens when you use the TOOL to export and in some cases it'd lose the collision data. Or something.
How did you export the new HMS Surprise, Jack? You really need to use Maya to do it properly.
Maybe Pgargon can help you with that?

Experienced Captain, nice job on the flags! :onya

We've had beeping noises before, which apparently happens when you use the TOOL to export and in some cases it'd lose the collision data. Or something.
Experienced Captain, nice job on the flags! :onya
Oh good, it's not just me then... xD:
And indeed I think the flags better compliment the ship. If you like I can do the same with the old Surprise and Boussole models and upload the changes. :shrug

I think HMS Surpise does have lantersn on the stern. Two infact on either corner, perhaps three (one in the centre), but it does have lanterns.

And ye, crew issues should be fixed if its going to be implemented! :p

I've just uploaded a few updates to the FTP:
  • The new Surprise, old one and Boussole models have the new flag positions.
  • I've put the new Surprise's walk file into the game for now, until it is changed.
  • I've updated and included the new Surprise's ships_init entry, as well as an in-game type name.
You can find the updates marked 'Surprise_updates.7zip' in my folder.
This is to be downloaded ON TOP OF Jack Harrison's new Surprise files.

Please note that, using my latest files, the ships_init, common, and ship_walk files also contain the code for the Historical Ship Pack- this will NOT affect your game whether you have the pack or not. :onya

Very nice work Jack Harrison! :onya I have the your surprise and she looks lovely.

Is there no way to give her a stern lantern? I Know she has just one on her taffrail. and two or three in her Captains quarter windows on the port and starboard or larboard sides respectively. :shrug

Nice model, mate! I'm not 100% sure I installed her correctly from Experienced Captain's folder, but if I did, here's some issues I found.
- She beeps when loading to see: recommend re-exporting from Maya. See here for system.log entries:
Code:
Bad rope data for rope: (rope num = 141) (begin group=-1, end group=0)
Begin pointer = 398558404? end pointer = 0
Bad rope data for rope: (rope num = 140) (begin group=0, end group=-1)
Begin pointer = 0? end pointer = 398558404
Ship Surprise1 doesn't have fire places
SHIP: Up trace error, ship Surprise1
SHIP: Down trace error, ship Surprise1
- She has an ensign on the spanker and a pennant on the main mast:
recommend re-rigging to ensigns on the spanker and main mast and pennants on the forward and aft masts.

Just for clarity's sake, this model is an improved PotC Build 14 Beta 1 edition and can replace the original as well as the Boussole, right?
And the model you're working on now is the film version as opposed to the "historical" one and should be added as a new ship, right?

I'm not 100% sure I installed her correctly from Experienced Captain's folder
If she runs in-game and is recognised properly, then you probably installed her correctly. She has that beeping problem anyway. :facepalm

- She has an ensign on the spanker and a pennant on the main mast:
recommend re-rigging to ensigns on the spanker and main mast and pennants on the forward and aft masts.
Blame me for the flags; I believe this uses the exact same rigging as the original Surprise, which I changed the flags for.
The real (film) Surprise has an ensign on the spanker and foremast, with a pennant on the main. But the foremast on this model was too short to put an ensign on, so I left it out. But I can change that if you wish, certainly for the old model which is not film related.

Just for clarity's sake, this model is an improved PotC Build 14 Beta 1 edition and can replace the original as well as the Boussole, right?
Replace?! I'd say we should keep all the versions, new and old. We can't lose those textures for the old Surprise and Boussole! :shock

I thought this one was the old Surprise, only modified to be better. Could we not apply the Boussole's textures to the new one?
Or is she too different for that?

Back