• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

HMS Surprise

I thought this one was the old Surprise, only modified to be better. Could we not apply the Boussole's textures to the new one?
Or is she too different for that?
Yes she is a modified version of the original, but I'm no textures expert... :shrug

I was thinking of just HEX editing her to use the Boussole's textures. Or wouldn't that work? :?

What I DO know is that every texture is designed to fit a specific ship. The old ones would need modifying slightly to fit the new model.

Hi, the problems of this ship aren't for the textures number, but because i exported it whitout check build bsp, so the game don't know where to put blots etc... I'll reexport it after releasing the film version one ;)

Just so you know, I've redone the flags (again :rolleyes:), with the 'Pennant>Ensign>Pennant>Ensign' flag pattern, for HMS_Surprise and FR_Boussole. Do you want this to be done for Surprise1, too?

Only if you want to do it. :razz
That's not the point; I meant would it look better if I did do it to Surprise1 too? I'd be more than happy to do it (a simple copy-and-paste then rename job, since the masts are the same as the ones I've just edited :cheeky ).

I don't know; I always like an ensign on the stern and the mainmast and pennants on the others.
But that might just be me and is based on no historical knowledge whatsoever... :?

I don't know; I always like an ensign on the stern and the mainmast and pennants on the others.
But that might just be me and is based on no historical knowledge whatsoever... :?
So perhaps since Surprise1 is a half-way compromise between film and the real Surprise, the flags should be somewhere in between? For example, pennant>pennant>[none]>ensign (on spanker)? I'd say that might be the best combination, sort-of based on the film Surprise. :shrug

I don't know; what did the film version have? In any case, I'll leave that in your capable hands. :cheeky

I still believe that any flags should be placed clear of any sails so they do not stick through any sails when you have the wind like the old Surprise did on Mizzen Mast. Best place for it is the Spanker sail IMO.

That is, if this has not been done already ;)

What would we have to do to prevent too much Surprise versions in the game?
I'd like to limit ourselves, if possible, to just the historical and the film version
and then the Boussole can be either a retexture of either of these OR use the remaining unused model.
Maybe:
- HMS Surprise Film Version: Unreleased Jack Harrison model
- HMS Surprise Historical Version: Jack Harrison modifications of Build 14 Beta 1 Model (Inzane+ZarethPL+Seb)
- Boussole: Build 14 Beta 1 Model (French retexture of Inzane+ZarethPL+Seb model)

Does that sound reasonable or does anyone have any other ideas?

@Captain Hog, yes she already has the ensign on the spanker. :yes

@Pieter, yes that sounds like a good solution, as all models are kept, minus one texture.

-- Continuing conversation from elsewhere --

Indeed setting the camera height to the original values seems to have helped with the HMS Surprise's view.
Maybe the camera on that ship should be even lower though, so that we can actually see through the gun ports.
Now all you can see through them is water, but I reckon it could make for some cool screens
if you could see the enemy ship being blown to smithereens through them. :boom

BTW: Her crew seems to be walking through the deck. Do we have a new crew walk file for her somewhere?

Maybe the camera on that ship should be even lower though, so that we can actually see through the gun ports.
Now all you can see through them is water, but I reckon it could make for some cool screens
if you could see the enemy ship being blown to smithereens through them. :boom
My only concern is that you might be positioned to low down on the upper deck f we adjusted the camera for that purpose, but I agree we could get some nice screenies that way. :yes
You do know we have other ships which have walk-able gun decks from which you could see through the gunports as well, of course?

About the walkfile, I don't think the current one is specific to the newest model, so it probably needs updating. :facepalm

Hmm... forgot about the other ships with gun hole optionality.
Which other ones allow it? :?

Some of pgargon's models do, such as Victory, Sophie, Greyhound and Mordaunt, to name a few.

For the purpose of my ship clean-up, I just want to make sure I've got everything straight as far as HMS Surprise versions are concerned:

HMS_Indefatigable = Original historical HMS Surprise model made by Inzane with further model updates by ZarethPL
FR_Boussole = Based on the HMS Surprise above, but with different texture by Seb and different figurehead
Surprise1 (now RN_Surprise) = Original historical HMS Surprise model made by Inzane with even more model updates by Pgargon
HMS_Surprise = Film version by Jack Harrison

That makes four Surprise-based ships in the game, three of which are based on Inzane's original model with varying levels of additional work done by lots of other models.
The film version is quite different to the other three. None of the models are exactly alike. The most alike ones are the HMS_Indefatigable and the FR_Boussole, but those still have different figureheads.

I believe that's all correct, yes. Note also that RN_Surprise has fewer cannons than the Indy/Boussole, and is a good candidate to make available to other nations with new textures.

A while ago I also started merging Helldiver's updates for the Boussole with the current model, and further tweaking the result to include details it was missing, such as lifeboats.
I'm hoping the final product will be the most accurate historical version of the Surprise/L'Unité frigate, since I'm using the plans to fine-tune it.
It's not the highest priority update on my to-do list, but I'll be sure to let you know when it's done. ;)

Back