1. Dismiss Notice
  2. GOG.com logo

Thanks to YOUR votes, GOG.com now sells:
    - Sea Dogs - Sea Dogs: Caribbean Tales
    - Sea Dogs: City of Abandoned Ships

Vote now to add Pirates of the Caribbean to the list!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Under the Crossbones Podcast

A Pirate Podcast with Interviews
    Music, Comedy and all things Pirate!

- Episode Guide - About - Subscribe -
    - Twitter - Facebook - iTunes - Android -
    - Youtube - Fill the Coffers -

Dismiss Notice
  4. New Horizons logo

Quick links for PotC: New Horizons
    - Download latest version
    - Wiki - FAQ - Report bugs here
    - ModDB profile

5. GOF logo

Quick links for AoP2: Gentlemen of Fortune 2
    - Downloads and info
    - Historical Immersion Supermod
    - ModDB Profile

Dismiss Notice
New to the forum?
Please take a moment to read our Welcome Message and Forum Rules.

HMS Unicorn Virtual Museum

Discussion in 'PiratesAhoy! News' started by Captain Murphy, Apr 21, 2016.

• by Captain Murphy, Apr 21, 2016 at 6:21 PM
  • Captain Murphy

Captain Murphy Actually a Captain TOP CONTRIBUTOR Programmer News Gatherer Hearts of Oak Donator

Software Developer
    [​IMG]
    In association with PiratesAhoy! and The Unicorn Preservation Society we are proud to present the HMS Unicorn Virtual Museum project. Our goal with this project is to create an interactive and ‘living’ ship that can be explored using VR devices such as the Google Cardboard, Saumsung GearVR, Oculus Rift, and more. We also plan to build a web front version for browsers as well for those without a VR device.

The model for the HMS Unicorn is being built in-house by our very talented modeler Christian Tornholm-Lehn for PiratesAhoy! for both the VR Museum project as well as the project Hearts Of Oak: Conquest of the Seas. Due to the detail of the model needed for both a museum quality replica and use for gaming it will be one of the most accurate 3d ship models made to date. Because the real HMS Unicorn is ‘in ordinary’, meaning it has a house over the deck and does not have rigging, we are using the sister ship HMS Trincomalee as the base of the rigging portion. Both are Leda class ships, with minor variations in design so the rigging should be extremely similar.

Planned Builds:

• Android (with and without Google Cardboard or GearVR)
    • iOS (with and without VR)
    • Windows (for VR devices and without)
    Goals:

• Create a set of interactive displays to allow users to understand the function and correct nomenclature of shipboard items and tools
    • Allow users to freely explore a ‘living’ ship as it would have been outfitted during the period
    • Teach users how life aboard a ship was lived through representation of crew and officers for certain displays
    Windows x86
    Download

Windows x64
    Download

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 24, 2016
  • Categories:

Comments

Discussion in 'PiratesAhoy! News' started by Captain Murphy, Apr 21, 2016.

1. Pieter Boelen
    She looks glorious! :woot
    Thagarr likes this.
  2. Captain Murphy
    Here is a test Web version of the HMS Fly. Use IE Edge if you want to see the water. For some reason Chrome will show all of the after effects but not the water surface. I am testing a new water later today to hopefully fix that issue.

Unity WebGL Player | Unicorn Web Museum
    Thagarr and Armada like this.
  3. Armada
    Very cool! The demo looks good even with the placeholder ship. Very much looking forward to seeing @Flannery's final product of the Unicorn.
    Flannery likes this.
  4. Flannery
    Hey all!

Small and quick update as we are closing in on the first showcase of the "simpler" version of the model - which will later become the more elaborate VR version.
    This version of the ship is for the WebGL version that the Unicorn Preservation Project will use now 14th in a event to promote the anniversary in September.

I am not quite done yet, so I am stocking up on CANS of coffee... :p
    I just rounded the mark of 120 hours spent on the model so far (including the interior work, and hours of looking at pictures for references)

Right now I am finishing the Rigging Work - but you can se that most of the important standing rigging is in pace.
    hope you enjoy the result so far :)

UnicornRigging1.jpg UnicornRigging2.jpg
  5. Armada
    Beautiful work, as always. I'm sure the museum will be pleased with the result. :keith
  6. Flannery
    Hello all!

A quick update!
    The event that was to be launched now 14th of May has been moved to the 18th instead.
    And I am not going to cry about that at all.... heheheh as it gives me time to finish and polish the model in more calm manners. (Flannery walks like a zombie to his desk and removes the countless cans of cold coffe and heads to bed to sleep a little.... :rumgone:treasure:)

But before I welcome my coma - I will offer you a few screens of the finished rigging.
    When (or if...:wp) I wake up again I will finish the few details on deck and mount the cannons and carronades :cheers:aar
    Stay tuned :pirates

UnicornRigging4.png

UnicornRigging3.png
    Thagarr, Armada and Pieter Boelen like this.
  7. Pieter Boelen
    Wow, that's PLENTY modelled ropes! Since in PotC ropes are handled by the engine, I've hardly ever seen a model look quite like that. :woot

I'm really very glad to hear you can get some rest now! Rest is good. :onya
  8. Armada
    That's a dizzying amount of rigging you've managed to model. Good stuff! o_O

One thing that just occurred to me: shouldn't the shrouds and stays be painted black, as if tarred? I seem to recall that being mentioned before, probably by @Post Captain or @Captain Armstrong, and it seems to be the case for the Trincomalee, for instance:
    [​IMG]
  9. Flannery
    Indeed it shall

But it's allot easier to show off and put textures on correctly when it is not all dark

And it's easier to show the work when in lighter color
    The texture itself will be colored correctly later.
    Thagarr, Pieter Boelen and Armada like this.
  10. Thagarr
    She looks absolutely fantastic mate! Brilliant model, I can't wait to see her in 3D! :woot
  11. Flannery
    Tonight I have mostly been cleaning up the model for some extra texturing and optimizing.
    I have now changed the color of the rigging to its proper color, and I have also been working on the finishing textures for the Unicorn Figurehead.
    Plus a ton of odds and ends that does not really show as progress :p

Figurehead.png

Unicorn3.png
  12. Captain Murphy
    [​IMG]
    Sneak peek of the current state of the gun deck.
    Thagarr, Flannery and Pieter Boelen like this.
  13. Captain Murphy
    [​IMG]
    Now we are getting some more atmosphere!
    Armada, Pieter Boelen and Thagarr like this.
  14. Bleash
    Damn @Flannery, that is some extraodinary work and dedication.
    I'm a fan!

Makes me wish I had asked for a ship like this to my parents when I was a child. :p
  15. Armada
    Something about that screenshot looks very ominous... must be the creepy lighting. :p
  16. Captain Murphy
    Thagarr and Pieter Boelen like this.
  17. Flannery
    There is a planned update for this in a few days where a few minor issues will be addressed.

Then after a few days off, concentrating on the progress with ships for ToW again, I will simultaneously start work on the 2 lower decks of the Unicorn which will be featured in the VR tour when it is finished and launched in September.

The people at the museum have been playing with this for a few days as well now, and they are very excited and the feedback is all positive.
    Captain Armstrong likes this.