1. Dismiss Notice
  2. GOG.com logo

Thanks to YOUR votes, GOG.com now sells:
    - Sea Dogs - Sea Dogs: Caribbean Tales
    - Sea Dogs: City of Abandoned Ships

Vote now to add Pirates of the Caribbean to the list!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Under the Crossbones Podcast

A Pirate Podcast with Interviews
    Music, Comedy and all things Pirate!

- Episode Guide - About - Subscribe -
    - Twitter - Facebook - iTunes - Android -
    - Youtube - Fill the Coffers -

Dismiss Notice
  4. New Horizons logo

Quick links for PotC: New Horizons
    - Download latest version
    - Wiki - FAQ - Report bugs here
    - ModDB profile

5. GOF logo

Quick links for AoP2: Gentlemen of Fortune 2
    - Downloads and info
    - Historical Immersion Supermod
    - ModDB Profile

Dismiss Notice
New to the forum?
Please take a moment to read our Welcome Message and Forum Rules.

HMS Unicorn Virtual Museum

Discussion in 'PiratesAhoy! News' started by Captain Murphy, Apr 21, 2016.

• by Captain Murphy, Apr 21, 2016 at 6:21 PM
  • Captain Murphy

Captain Murphy Actually a Captain TOP CONTRIBUTOR Programmer News Gatherer Hearts of Oak Donator

Software Developer
    [​IMG]
    In association with PiratesAhoy! and The Unicorn Preservation Society we are proud to present the HMS Unicorn Virtual Museum project. Our goal with this project is to create an interactive and ‘living’ ship that can be explored using VR devices such as the Google Cardboard, Saumsung GearVR, Oculus Rift, and more. We also plan to build a web front version for browsers as well for those without a VR device.

The model for the HMS Unicorn is being built in-house by our very talented modeler Christian Tornholm-Lehn for PiratesAhoy! for both the VR Museum project as well as the project Hearts Of Oak: Conquest of the Seas. Due to the detail of the model needed for both a museum quality replica and use for gaming it will be one of the most accurate 3d ship models made to date. Because the real HMS Unicorn is ‘in ordinary’, meaning it has a house over the deck and does not have rigging, we are using the sister ship HMS Trincomalee as the base of the rigging portion. Both are Leda class ships, with minor variations in design so the rigging should be extremely similar.

Planned Builds:

• Android (with and without Google Cardboard or GearVR)
    • iOS (with and without VR)
    • Windows (for VR devices and without)
    Goals:

• Create a set of interactive displays to allow users to understand the function and correct nomenclature of shipboard items and tools
    • Allow users to freely explore a ‘living’ ship as it would have been outfitted during the period
    • Teach users how life aboard a ship was lived through representation of crew and officers for certain displays
    Windows x86
    Download

Windows x64
    Download

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 24, 2016
  • Categories:

Comments

Discussion in 'PiratesAhoy! News' started by Captain Murphy, Apr 21, 2016.

1. Pieter Boelen
    It's a good thing the background looks fairly simplistic, because the model itself looks pretty much photo-real! :shock
  2. Captain Armstrong
    Looking downright excellent! Haven't downloaded it yet but I notice from the video and screens that the waist is planked over, which is highly unusual. I could see it being relic of the process of putting her in ordinary, or simply something that is yet to be completed on the model-just thought I'd point out in case it slipped by!
  3. Captain Murphy
    Really it would have depended on the year she was pressed into service. In that period a TON of frigates were put in ordinary and left as hulks. One of the books I have showed the same class of 38 gun frigate brought into service in different years and as they were pressed later and later the waist was always a smaller and smaller opening until around the early 40's when it was just left housed over. As the Unicorn was an 1824 launch, yes, it could have been opened up but for our build we went with closed in for a 'later' look than one like the earlier Trincomalee.
    Captain Armstrong likes this.
  4. Flannery
    Captain Murphy is correct.
    The change was done as a continuing of the changes that the Leda Class designer (Seppings) started in 1817 by rounding off the stern hull to strengthen the stern against damage. By 1824 this included closing in the waist.

I asked specifically about this when I started the model, since my initial plans had the open waist and the old stern gallery, and thus the original hull I made also had the open waist according to the way the HMS Trincomalee and HMS Shannon has. Even after I modelled the stern gallery of the new design.

When I finally received all of the material I had asked for from the museum, some of the pictures showed a rigged model of the Unicorn done by the in-house caretaker of the museum models, Mr. Justin Dempster. This model had the closed in waist, so I naturally asked both Mr. Dempster and the museum curator, Mr. Billy Rough (yeah.. That's his real name.. :cool:) about it - and I was given the information that I stated above :cheers

Glad you are liking the model. It's been a fantastic learning experience.

I would not have minded making her even more detailed, but it would then be merely impossible to run the scene on a mainstream computer.

So I have compromised by leaving out unnecessary details that would not be of importance to the mainstream wiever/player.

Its the experience that is the main focus, and I am very satisfied and happy with the results we are getting.

And I think @Captain Murphy has done excellent work on his part with the shaders and lighting. :pirates:bow
    Captain Armstrong likes this.
  5. Pieter Boelen
    You've both done a good job!
    I'm quite looking forward to seeing your work when I visit the HMS Unicorn during the Summer holidays.
  6. Captain Murphy
    Hopefully they have their VR setup by then. I love wandering around in the ship with the Rift. I have people that stop by my house do it and so far the shortest time someone has spent in it is around 15 minutes.
  7. Pieter Boelen
    :rofl

Well, tell them to get a move on then! I'll be there sometime in August.
    You can tell them "almost the big PiratesAhoy! head honcho is coming to approve their work"!
    Or.... maybe not! :razz
  8. Captain Murphy
    Hmm, I don't recall seeing a brig in the model, but they just might make one just for you!
  9. Pieter Boelen
    Maybe I better stay away then; make some alternate plans for the holidays! :shock
  10. Flannery
    Hahaha.. @Pieter Boelen.. I have already blown the whistle on you weeks ago ;-)

The curator will be expecting you... *evil grin*
  11. Pieter Boelen
    Sounds like there's trouble ahead! :wp
    Flannery likes this.
  12. Captain Armstrong
    Ahh, I stand corrected! I was familiar with Seppings' diagonal bracing and round sterns, but not the closing in of the waist. I suppose with the increasing use of davits for storing boats there was less need to store so many in the waist, and there were surely some strength benefits to having more planking run the full length of the deck, in addition to keeping out the elements.

The Unicorn herself is of course a testament to how well these ships lasted, but plenty of her sisters weren't broken up until the 1860s to as late as 1911, well past their usefulness as warships.

Excellent work by the both of you! There's always a compromise between performance and detail, but I think you've balanced it quite well. :onya
    Flannery likes this.