• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Hoist the Colours

Right there in the shipyard; see attached screenshot.

While there isn't a "lighter wood for the hull" upgrade, there IS one for copper plating, which has the same effect.
I don't think replacing all the wood on the hull would be feasible anyway.
Rebuild the entire ship? Costly business. And you'd reduce your HP in the process.

Note also the "Appearance" tab right next to it.
That allows you to repaint the ship you have, provided that the ship has repaint options available.

Attachments

• UpgradeShip.jpg
    UpgradeShip.jpg
    408.1 KB · Views: 387
Thank you so much, I'm sorry if this caused you any trouble, it's just that i'm so used to mod 13 ans stock POTC that I tend not to check these little things. And yeah, I guess it would be too costly for a bit of extra speed, not to mention the time it would take for the bigger ships. I have to say, those upgrades look pretty damn good, I'm gonna have to start saving up more and doing more trade :D

HA! There's a LOT to discover in the game. And a lot of hidden cool stuff. How about:
- Opium Den in Port Royale: Get your tattoos now! (Don't get TOO excited; they don't show on your character model, but do enhance your skills)
- Choose your personal and pirate flag by talking with one of your crewmembers on deck.
- Haunted Maltese Knight Abbey in Bridgetown (Actually, I think Build 13 had this too? Can't remember now...)
- Get crewmembers to follow you ashore by talking with them on your deck (This triggers all sorts of additional events ashore as you'll be attracting more attention with your big group!)
- In battles, some of your crew will be wounded instead of killed. Having a doctor and medicines on board will allow more of them to survive.
- In the later time periods, you can drop mines into the water. And when sailing between islands in 3D sailing mode (worldmap is not necessary anymore), you can run into random ones as well.
- There is a risk of capsizing in storms, so you'll have to handle your ship with more care.
- Non-player ships have a mind of their own and will pursue sensible tasks, such as navy ships patrolling, merchant ships going to an anchorage and pirates searching for the best (read: easiest) prey.

Those are just a couple of the things the spring to mind. There is much more, of course.
Press every button you can find. Visit every location. Talk to all characters. There's all sorts out there! ;)

HA! There's a LOT to discover in the game. And a lot of hidden cool stuff. How about:
- Opium Den in Port Royale: Get your tattoos now! (Don't get TOO excited; they don't show on your character model, but do enhance your skills)
- Choose your personal and pirate flag by talking with one of your crewmembers on deck.
- Haunted Maltese Knight Abbey in Bridgetown (Actually, I think Build 13 had this too? Can't remember now...)
- Get crewmembers to follow you ashore by talking with them on your deck (This triggers all sorts of additional events ashore as you'll be attracting more attention with your big group!)
- In battles, some of your crew will be wounded instead of killed. Having a doctor and medicines on board will allow more of them to survive.
- In the later time periods, you can drop mines into the water. And when sailing between islands in 3D sailing mode (worldmap is not necessary anymore), you can run into random ones as well.
- There is a risk of capsizing in storms, so you'll have to handle your ship with more care.
- Non-player ships have a mind of their own and will pursue sensible tasks, such as navy ships patrolling, merchant ships going to an anchorage and pirates searching for the best (read: easiest) prey.

Those are just a couple of the things the spring to mind. There is much more, of course.
Press every button you can find. Visit every location. Talk to all characters. There's all sorts out there! ;)

Yeah the Opium den and the Cursed Abbey were in Build 13, I can remember killing those monks for the first time and then thinking (Holy**** hes a skeleton). And yeah i noticed the medicines in the store, I also quite like the fact that your crewmen can die from, e.g. gangrene, but the flag thing sounds cool I'll make sure to check that out and I might just save and capsize my ship just to see what it is like:cool:

This storyline is going to need some serious testing soon! If there is any storyline that might get messed up by the generally available sidequests now, it is this one.
Also, I suspect some Devlin-type errors here because I think a "PB" character is used that is bound to interfere with the Turks Help version of the same character.

So what's really the progress on movie quests, do you guys need any coding help for them, i might be a little bit lazy on not doing the research but on what language is the engine and scripts based,
and is there a template for most of the quest related interactions, like moving characters etc, writing logs etc. I have plenty of experience with c++, java and lua.

And it's my first post on the forums as well, great job on one of my first and now my favorite pirate game, cheers! :cheers

Ahoy there, @Sebrian! :cheers

We did do a fair bit of fixing and correcting on the Jack Sparrow storyline last year, but we have nobody who really has the time to extend it.
If you would be willing to help, that would be much appreciated. :onya

The game language is similar to "C". By referring to existing quest code, it is relatively doable to add new quests.
And there are several people who can answer any questions you might have.

Ahoy there, @Sebrian! :cheers

We did do a fair bit of fixing and correcting on the Jack Sparrow storyline last year, but we have nobody who really has the time to extend it.
If you would be willing to help, that would be much appreciated. :onya

The game language is similar to "C". By referring to existing quest code, it is relatively doable to add new quests.
And there are several people who can answer any questions you might have.

Alrighty then, where should i start, couldn't find a download link for the current game's source code or scripts, if there is such. I'm finishing the current jack sparrow storyline at the moment so i can have a test save.

I haven't worked with C for some time but it won't take me long to get back into it, as i do have the motivation and time to do so right now :)
Any help would be much appreciated till i get things going ofcourse.

We should sum up all the ideas from this thread and get the idea of new storyline together, and ill start bringing it to life, my plan is to at least finish dead man's chest for now. :aar

Alrighty then, where should i start, couldn't find a download link for the current game's source code or scripts, if there is such. I'm finishing the current jack sparrow storyline at the moment so i can have a test save.
All the latest stuff is right here: Mod Release - Build 14 Beta 4 Internal WIP For Testing | PiratesAhoy!
If you open your game folder, you'll find a folder named "PROGRAM" in there; that is the actual game code
PROGRAM\Storyline\JackSparrow contains the code files you need. :doff

All the latest stuff is right here: Mod Release - Build 14 Beta 4 Internal WIP For Testing | PiratesAhoy!
If you open your game folder, you'll find a folder named "PROGRAM" in there; that is the actual game code
PROGRAM\Storyline\JackSparrow contains the code files you need. :doff

Nice!, i assumed it would all be compiled, this really makes life easier haha, looking at current way things are done, it's pretty well documented and easy to figure quest moments, and most of the functions i might need are already there,
and you can refer to characters just by their name not id, even better, so all we need is the text (i could do the dialogue myself keeping the style of writing from the previous quests) it would just take more time, but we ain't in a hurry i assume :p

So only putting all ideas together is what's left, i'm thinking on just doing it as close to the actual movie as possible, in limits of the game engine of course, thinking on how to code kraken fight with black pearl :wp

Nice!, i assumed it would all be compiled, this really makes life easier haha, looking at current way things are done, it's pretty well documented and easy to figure quest moments, and most of the functions i might need are already there,
Indeed if you know a bit of coding, it isn't actually all that hard. :cheeky

and you can refer to characters just by their name not id, even better
Well, you DO need their ID. But usually characters' IDs and their names are the same. ;)

all we need is the text (i could do the dialogue myself keeping the style of writing from the previous quests) it would just take more time, but we ain't in a hurry i assume :p
Text is easy. You can probably even find a digital version of the script to copy/paste from.

So only putting all ideas together is what's left, i'm thinking on just doing it as close to the actual movie as possible, in limits of the game engine of course
The existing Jack Sparrow storyline takes a bit of liberties with the film stories, so feel free to do the same.
It also contains several optional sidequests and alternate paths.

We thought a lot in the past on how to expand that for DMC as well and had plenty of ideas, but never got the chance to do anything with them.
But for starters, I imagine just the film story without alternates would be quite a good start to begin with. :onya

thinking on how to code kraken fight with black pearl :wp
Not very difficult, because I did some preliminary work on that years ago. There already IS a "Kraken Attack" function ready and available to use:

NewKrakenAttack.jpg

And @Jack Rackham prepared a "Jungle Church" location for the end of DMC as well ages ago.
So that is already available. :doff

Last edited:
^ Updated my above post with a video that contains the Kraken Attack instead.

All good then, will finish the rest of currect storyline today, and dig into the code for a while to get all the functions i need, watch some DMC myself and search for online material on the script. And prolly will have to set up eclipse or microsoft visual instead of using notepad++ for this one :keith

I might have a few questions later on if that's alright, and any ideas/coding help from other developers are more than welcome!

And prolly will have to set up eclipse or microsoft visual instead of using notepad++ for this one :keith
I've used Notepad++ for PotC for many, many years now. Works for me. :cheeky

I might have a few questions later on if that's alright, and any ideas/coding help from other developers are more than welcome!
Any questions, feel free to ask. We've got several people here who are familiar with quest coding in one way or another.
They are all occupied with their own projects, but I'm sure that if you post any questions, they or myself will try to help in whatever way we can. :yes

And @Jack Rackham prepared a "Jungle Church" location for the end of DMC as well ages ago.
So that is already available. :doff
If you ENABLE_CHEATMODE at the bottom of PROGRAM\InternalSettingsl.h and start a new game on Hoist the Colours, you can easily look at this.
In the opening tavern scene, instead of talking to Mr. Gibbs, talk to "Random Drunk" instead.
He's got a dialog option that allows you to teleport to the Jungle Church location, so you can see it.
And just for fun, there is a fight with Will Turner and James Norrington going on there too.
It doesn't quite look like in the film, but it is still a church in a jungle and should do quite nicely.

There is a location in AoP 2 I think that looks like a long trail from a shore across a hanging bridge.
That would probably work quite nicely for Pelegostos and the Cannibal Escape from it.
Maybe @Jack Rackham also knows if there is an "Indian Village" of some kind somewhere.

I think there is also some Pre-DMC stuff at the bottom of PROGRAM\Storyline\JackSparrow\quests\quests_reaction.c .
Looks like it is unfinished, because it puts Tia Dalma in a "Tia_shack" location, but as far as I can tell, that doesn't actually exist in the game.
Probably @Captain Maggee was still working on that and never shared the file that included it, so that would need adding.

@Talisman, do you remember if that ever worked?

Eclipse is just a go to thing if i'm not quite familiar with the code, gives you nice idea of all the available functions, arguments ,parameters etc :doff

Great work on the kraken attack by the way @Pieter, i will check the function out definitely, is Dutchman going underwater a function or just a console command ? Thinking on adding sound effects to those things as well in the future, and making an alternate choice for the player to obtain Dutchman as Jack (stab the hearth himself instead maybe?)

is Dutchman going underwater a function or just a console command
If you have the Dutchman yourself, you can use the Submerge/Emerge and Summon Kraken attack options through the [Enter] menu.
Both aren't really used for quest purposes at the moment, but that is easy enough to do.

Couldn't quite remember how I did those functions before, but I re-found my code for it:
Code:
     if(!CheckAttribute(PChar, "ship.SubmergeDutchman")) PChar.ship.SubmergeDutchman = PChar.ship.CorrectImmersion;
     else PChar.ship.EmergeDutchman = 0;
     DeleteAttribute(PChar, "ship.PlayedSplash");
Call that once and you go down; call it a second time and you go back up.
Should work also when called on NPCs.

And this is how you can summon the Kraken to attack the player, for example:
Code:
KrakenAttack(pchar, GetCharacterShipHP(pchar)/100); // PB: Enough tentacles to sink you twice

They both already have sound effects; that video is rather old.

alternate choice for the player to obtain Dutchman as Jack (stab the hearth himself instead maybe?)
I'm all for that! :onya

I think there is also some Pre-DMC stuff at the bottom of PROGRAM\Storyline\JackSparrow\quests\quests_reaction.c .
Looks like it is unfinished, because it puts Tia Dalma in a "Tia_shack" location, but as far as I can tell, that doesn't actually exist in the game.
Probably @Captain Maggee was still working on that and never shared the file that included it, so that would need adding.

@Talisman, do you remember if that ever worked?

I think this is linked to playing Lucas & Justine le Moigne before you meet Davy Jones in the main Story.

I don't think the "Tia_shack" location exists and this option of playing Lucas & Justine just ends in a dead end - but I am not certain as I have not played it. :shrug

:read

Back