1. Dismiss Notice
  2. GOG.com logo

Thanks to YOUR votes, GOG.com now sells:
    - Sea Dogs - Sea Dogs: Caribbean Tales
    - Sea Dogs: City of Abandoned Ships

Vote now to add Pirates of the Caribbean to the list!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Under the Crossbones Podcast

A Pirate Podcast with Interviews
    Music, Comedy and all things Pirate!

- Episode Guide - About - Subscribe -
    - Twitter - Facebook - iTunes - Android -
    - Youtube - Fill the Coffers -

Dismiss Notice
  4. New Horizons logo

Quick links for PotC: New Horizons
    - Download latest version
    - Wiki - FAQ - Report bugs here
    - ModDB profile

5. GOF logo

Quick links for AoP2: Gentlemen of Fortune 2
    - Downloads and info
    - Historical Immersion Supermod
    - ModDB Profile

Dismiss Notice
New to the forum?
Please take a moment to read our Welcome Message and Forum Rules.

Hook's Mod version 0.7 for TEHO 1.5.1

Discussion in 'Sea Dogs : To Each His Own' started by LarryHookins, Jul 18, 2017.

1. LarryHookins

LarryHookins Buccaneer Staff Member Storm Modder

IMPORTANT NOTE 10Aug17:
    There was a mistake in the Regatta code in version 0.6 of my mod. If you buy the sails you will be disqualified at the end. This is fixed for version 0.7. Buying the sails is not a problem, it's just that it changes the variable I used to mark the ship as a Regatta ship. I have used a different variable to mark the ship that should not change. This needs to be tested: Use this version before you start the Regatta to get the correct shipmark. If you have already started the Regatta this will not disqualify you. Buy the sails or not as you wish.

HookMod 1.5.1 v0.7
    MEGA

This is a version of my mod updated for the 1.5.1 release of the game. It is ready for wide beta testing.

The recent Steam patch to 1.5.1 did not fix the Regatta, so I'm including my fix in the mod. See the readme file for important notes on Regatta bugs.

There are a lot of bug fixes, enhancements, proper translations and a few new features.

The most popular changes seem to be the cannon aiming crosshair being hidden by default and removing the camera swing on doorways. You can use auto-aim from the deck the same way you do in third person view by simply pressing the left mouse button, or turn on the crosshair for manual aiming by pressing the C key.

My favorite changes are increasing the wind speed (you can set this up many different ways or use the stock game wind speed) and changing the fore-and-aft rigged ships to use a more reasonable sailing model where they sail fastest with the wind on the beam.

I have included a copy of the Active Map from @kb31 with a minor change to display the direction to a colony if you are displaying the distances in nautical miles. Press the N key to display a map of the Caribbean and right click and hold on a colony to get information about it. This also displays the most profitable trade goods going in either direction if you are at a colony. The map displays the island region borders and the position of your ship. Press ESC to dismiss the map.

Note that the mod may be installed or removed at any time without affecting the game. It does not require a new game. You may also temporarily disable the mod without uninstalling it by editing the file tehomod_hookmod.ini and changing the line "Enabled=1" to be "Enabled=0".

Please post and let me know what you think.

If Blackmark does not release a working fix for the Regatta, this will become the production version, and I will update my mod as new patches or versions are released.

Hook

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
    kb31 and Pieter Boelen like this.
  2. Sesshaku

Sesshaku Landlubber

Great mod, is there a way to decrease even more the time speed in world map?

No code states explicitly about it, there's one about "apparent speed in world map" but it already has the maximum value reccommended (3).

3. LarryHookins

You are still faster on the world map if you are sailing with the wind than against it, but you'll be taking 1/3 the time you would normally. The mod only slows down the time.

The time could be made even slower, but it would allow cheating. An early version of the mod had the time set at 6 and someone won the regatta sailing the whole race on the world map.

Hook

4. Sesshaku

Sesshaku Landlubber

So the code was correct? I'm talking about this one

#define WDM_SHIP_SPEED 3.0 // FLOAT - 3.0 - ship's apparent speed on world map, 1.0 is default game

and it recognizes values above 3?

I don't mind "cheating" since otherwise I would have to replay a couple of months of gameplay, and that ruins the immersion for me. Also it's my first run on the game, so I'm more on a "see what's new" mentality.

Thank you for the amazing work.

5. LarryHookins

Every place in the code that uses a value from hookmod_settings.h tests that value to make sure it's within the proper range. Even if you set it above 3, it will still use 3 in the code. Having a value of three doesn't change the game balance very much. Having it at six does.

The mod isn't intended to be a cheat, just an enhancement to the game. It still has to be a game after all. Even the increased wind speed. It only doubles your speed and affects everyone, and was primarily intended to replace the need for time acceleration, which I never use while playing. The worldmap speed was intended to keep from wasting a game hour on the world map just to reset the lighting which doesn't change automatically at the proper time, and the sounds after loading a save, for example, or waste an hour or two to cross an island region boundary. I use the worldmap as little as possible.

Hook

6. Sesshaku

Sesshaku Landlubber

And what if I want to play differently than you? Is it possible to modify the range or not?

7. LarryHookins

It is not.

8. LarryHookins

IMPORTANT NOTE 10Aug17:
    There is a mistake in the Regatta code in my mod. If you buy the sails you will be disqualified at the end. I will fix this for the next version. Buying the sails is not a problem, it's just that it changes the variable I used to mark the ship as a Regatta ship. I have another way in mind. I will fix version 0.7 so that it won't matter if you've already started the Regatta.

Hook

9. LarryHookins

New version 0.7 as of 10Aug17. The Readme file linked above does not include the new date but is otherwise unchanged.

I have used a different variable to mark your ship as a Regatta ship. This needs to be tested by either loading a save from before you started the Regatta or by simply starting it if you haven't already. The previous variable I used would be changed if you accepted the new sails during the race. The new variable should not change. If you have already started the Regatta, you will not be disqualified if you have upgraded your sails.

If you started the Regatta under version 0.6 but could not complete it because you upgraded your sails, let me know and I'll tell you how to get around the problem. I already had to do this for the tester who found the problem. You just need to load a save from any time before you talk to the official at the end of the race. Thanks to Steam user ZZZzzz for finding and reporting the problem.

Version 0.6 and 0.7 are otherwise identical except for a slight change to the font scale for the log (where it says House or Room or Shipyard or whatever when you are near a door) if you have used a different interface scale.

Everything else has been thoroughly tested, just needs people to make sure the Regatta works from start to finish.

Hook

10. Havok1o1

Havok1o1 Landlubber

IT Support
    Hey Hook, am very interested your nodding work for TEHO and the game itself. If you are looking for testers or even someone to help with the mods I am willing to help.

11. LarryHookins

Thanks, @Havok1o1 . The mod is there for people to download and use, so feel free. Except for some minor changes that I've made since I posted version 0.7, that will become the release version 1.0 pretty much any time now. I just need someone to test the Regatta from start to finish in version 0.7. One person reports winning already but I don't know for sure if they started the Regatta with version 0.6 or 0.7.

At this point, just play and let me know if anything seems out of place. I suggest reading everything in the readme file and the hookmod_settings.h file to see what is possible. There may be a lot of people playing the mod, but not many have talked about it. At least no one is reporting severe problems. :)

Keep in mind that you can put the mod in or take it out at any time without problems.

There is some experimental stuff in hookmod_console.c if you want to have a look. I think it's documented well enough, but some of it hasn't been tested very much so if you're playing with the experimental functions in the console, be sure to archive a save from before you tried it in case you need to go back.

Good luck!

Hook

PS. The Regatta can be a pain in the butt. In my last game it left a Dutch attack squadron at Curacao. I don't know if this is ever cleaned up, and I ended up writing some console code to get rid of it. I'd like to know if you go through Curacao on the way from Barbados to Jamaica on the last leg of the race if the attack squadron is still there if you go back to Curacao after the race is over. If it is, I'll add code to remove it at the end of the race, and I can tell you how to get rid of it if it's still there.

H.