• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Hook's Mod

the perk points seem to come with level increases, but you don't get a new point with every increase. I generally ignore them until I have several or think I need them.

I am doing this in a similar way, but I really would like to know, how and when a perk point will be given.

This addition to your mod sounds very interesting. I am sailing around since months and should have gained some navigation skills (I did but only a few), especially as I like to sail in third person view. I am eager to give it a try.

Yesterday I had a funny moment ingame, when I was in a shipyard. There I could buy a brig or a snow, two usually different ship types. But in this game they are nearly the same, only a snow is bigger than a brig. This is somewhat historical uncorrect, and while I usually prefer a brig, here the snow seems to be the better ship. The only advantage of the brig is a slightly better speed (16.xx vs 15.xx kn). I then reloaded several times and wrote down stats of different snows and brigs. But the "older" snow always was the better ship... o_O

And I´ve played a first damsel quest without getting money. It seems, there are lots of reasons for damsels to get into distress. :D

Last edited:
In this game a xebec is the best small ship but you can´t buy it, you have to board it from enemies at see. Personaly i save on worldmap near 2 fighting enemy ships with a lugger before going to see mode and reload till i find a fast and strong xebec before playing main quests. Later on with higher skills and a lot of money i buy myself a heavy frigate at the shipyard of Martinique, also with save and reload until i get the fastest and strongest one that is available. With these 2 ships and the help of a fort you can beat every enemy that is crossing your way during questlines. I never needed a fleet during gameplay and i played the whole game 5 times completely through till now. Navigation skills are raising very slow in this game but it is also no problem at all if you find yourself a high skilled navigator in taverns. This is also very easy if you save before entering taverns and reload until you meet one that has very high skills in "Talent". Principly this game is very easy if you know all tricks and i´m very experiencend already from playing CoAS a hundred times through during the last 8 years.

There are 3 different damsel quests. To always get the best paid one in which you have to transport the woman and her boyfriend to another city, you have to save and reload between jungle sections. Like this you can also collect amulets faster because you always get a random one from the boyfriends father.

Hope i could help :)

Last edited:
Actually, you CAN buy a Xebec, but only at Dutch and Spanish shipyards, and they're only available about character level 8 or 9. You may need to do some save scrumming. I only did that on the first one though; the other two that I bought appeared normally.

I'm currently running a squadron of five xebecs, the three that I bought, and two that I captured. It's my first time with a large squadron, and I finally got the achievement for it after figuring out the bug that was keeping us from getting achievements. It's also the first time I've had more than one xebec at a time.

The one time I tried the Dutch Gambit, I already had a xebec and a polacre. The Meifeng light xebec was awful compared to the xebec that I already had (I stored it at Martinique so I wouldn't lose it). I couldn't sell the Meifeng, and I didn't think to sink it. :) I just started a new game.

And the xebec really is the best small ship in the game. It carries 22 twenty pound cannons and can sail ridiculously close to the wind, especially with a Pilgrim's amulet. It also has over 2500 cargo capacity. Typical crew is 150, and you can overload that. Unfortunately the four forward chasers fire through your own sails, but you can go to battle sails to avoid that.

Hook

Thanks for the tipp about buying a xebec. I didn´t know that because i always only buy ships from the french. You CAN always loose ships from shipyards in this game like you can loose money from banks. It happened already twice to me and i had to load an older savegame to get my best ships back. In CoAS you can only loose money from banks.

Glad to be able to help.

The case I was talking about at the beginning of the Dutch Gambit, it is scripted that you leave your ships at the shipyard at Curacao and are given the Meifeng, and when you return the colony has been attacked and your ships were destroyed during the defense. If you know this is going to happen, you can store your ships elsewhere to keep them and buy some random small ship to sail to Curacao; it won't matter if you lose that one.

I haven't lost any ships outside of that, but thanks for the heads-up on the possibility of it happening.

Hook

Just bought the game and interested in trying out this mod, any chance it'll be publicly released soon?

I can't be sure it will ever have a full public release, but I'll put you on the list for the test versions.

I suggest playing the game for a while before trying it with mods, just to see what it's like, and to make you appreciate how good the mods are. :D

TEHO is excellent even without mods anyway.

Oh, and thanks for your interest. :D

Hook

I would like to try this mod :doff

i too:)

can you in short say whats the main differnece between aop2 coas and potbc vs teho...teho more ships more content on sea and land..longer game?

and if you dont whant to release your mod , can you plz explain how exactly i can get the visible crew in first person.

thx and sorry for my english:)

potc..pirates of the caribean:)..was a little tipfehler..but im sure you now what i meant:)
Got a bit confused, since it could have been PotBS, e.g. Pirates of the Burning Sea.

can you in short say whats the main differnece between aop2 coas and potbc vs teho...teho more ships more content on sea and land..longer game?
From what I understand:
- PotC = extremely basic game
- PotC + New Horizons mod = huge amount of new content
- AoP 2: CoAS = pretty good game even without mods, focuses mainly on Free Play without a Main Quest, but with plenty of long Sidequests
- TEHO = similar to CoAS, but with a specific Main Quest instead

I imagine the number of ships is probably similar between all three unmodded games, with the newer ones having better quality ships and probably a bit more too.
Of course with mods included, that becomes a very different story.

But I'm certain @LarryHookins will drop by soon and give you a far better answer than I ever could.

thx for quick reply Pieter

i should have be more clear wich games to compare..
potbc new horizon and coas gof vs teho..playtime, content, ships, landcontent ect

i planing to start a "intensiv"long game and before i start just whant some info(because of my limited time to play all these) from one who played all this amazing mods like NH, GoF to compare with Teho

I have to admit I am massively biased towards PotC:NH, so you probably should not take my word at face value.
But I find it hard to believe any of those other games + mods can possibly come close to the amount of material that we have added to an originally very basic game.
200+ new ships, many of which are brand new high-quality models. Hugely improved Free Play.
Plus several very unique Main Quests, set in different Time Periods, each focusing on different play styles.

You probably cannot go wrong with any of those other games either though.
So really, there is no real wrong choices.

What exactly would you want? Do you care about Free Play or Main Quests?
Do you like Pirates, Privateers, Merchants or Naval Officers? Or do you like puzzles?
Are you a fan of the PotC films? Or Black Sails? Or Hornblower and Jack Aubrey?

I think the best answer depends on what you personally are after.

i dont like fantasy stuff too much, I like free to play with many side quests,many ship choices but hard to get the best ones ,...many quests(side or main not important).. just to have enough to do when not in mood for sandbox
Imod all my games(all open world , sandbox) like skyrim, oblivion,farcry3 ..ect to be realistic as possible and hard (for example tried one time a skyrim mod that deletes all magic:))
So all in all whant a long game with most free play but good side quests , main story is not that important but if its good and long enough and i can play free without that i must complett than its ok.
So just a hint wich one of the games moded or teho without mods would be best for me will be great.

btw looking forward to HoO but seems its long time to go.

thx in advice

While PotC:NH of course does offer all that, for your purposes, probably CoAS or TEHO will serve very well too; maybe even better.
I'd recommend you wait with any decisions until you've heard from @LarryHookins.
He can elaborate better on those two games.

PotC does feature fantasy stuff, but most of that is either easily avoidable or easily solved; what is left is more "Easter Eggs" than anything else.
On the other hand, it also has incredible realism and, what players tell me, some of the best sea battles.
It even has an "Iron Man Game Mode" for when you REALLY want to go all the way.
That disables virtually all "arcade style" interface cheats and forces you to work like an actual captain back in those days would too.

I've played PotC with the New Horizons mod extensively when I was helping with the mod 8 years ago, and 250 hours more recently. I've played stock COAS and done some modding on it, about 200 hours, but I don't have any experience with the various mods except to install and try them out. I've got over 1300 hours currently in TEHO, including 800 hours before I started modding it. I play sandbox in these games, and haven't done much of the main story line in any of them.

I've posted some comparisons on the Steam forums. Start reading here:

This vs City of abandoned ships? :: Sea Dogs: To Each His Own General Discussions [ENG]

...and follow my link there to the COAS comparison, and to my PotC comparison from a link in the COAS thread.

For a quick overview, TEHO and COAS are the same game with different quest content. TEHO has much more and it's much better than stock COAS. TEHO also has some improvements to the interface. I'd say that TEHO is the harder game because of the way the quests are written, but their quest writers were very good indeed. The PotC New Horizons mod is based on an older version of the game, but probably has the most added story content, and the added content is very good. I suspect much of the non-story content (ships, items, etc) added to COAS mods originally came from New Horizons, although there is a lot of new stuff there as well. New Horizons has had a long time to mature, and it shows.

Each of these games has a following, people who have it as their favorite. I'd say that New Horizons with its incredible wealth of content is probably the best game, while stock COAS is more modern and the mods add a lot, although you may need a powerful computer to run some of them. TEHO, while being more limited in content, and only recently becoming moddable, is the most modern and polished of the three. TEHO is the most stable, followed by COAS stock, then the others. New Horizons is generally stable enough, although something in one of the mods I wrote was causing almost constant crashes which I wasn't able to fix. I didn't play the COAS mods enough to experience any crashes, but advocates of those mods admit that TEHO doesn't crash as much.

While I prefer TEHO to the others, it is not without problems. There are some translation issues, and many of the quests almost require a walk through. You have to read dialogs very carefully because not all information is recorded in the quest log, and this is intentional. There is currently no free play start, and you will find your self playing several hours before you ever get your ship. After over a dozen games started, and knowing exactly what I have to do and in what order to do it, I can get my ship in just over an hour, while the first time took me 7 hours of play. Most players report that the story lines have considerable depth and are very interesting, but the game does not hold your hand and guide you through. Expect to reload from saved games often. The game had a number of things that annoyed me, but I was able to fix them in a mod.

Which game you choose is up to you, and you probably can't go wrong with any of them. A lot will depend on your preferred play style, and I'd say that New Horizons gives you the most flexibility.

Hook

thank you very much Pieter and Larry for you time giving me your views and thoughts on this games/mods
I think for now i will go with New Horizons, allready downloaded the newest version
Teho seems very interessting but i will wait until Larry or someone else releases some mods.

Great to have such guys who investing their freetime to work hard on improvements for this "old/new" games
and sharing it with us.

thx guys

greetz Peter

Back