• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Fixed Hornblower Spanish fort

Baalzie

Landlubber
Okey, didn't find anything about this after a lot of searching. I simply cannot get past the rope bridge at the Spanish fort in the Hornblower Story.
The cannon shoots and no matter where I stand or what I do, poof dead. I thought the remaining guards were supposed to attack or whatnot? But no, cannon, blam, dead. Even down at the beach... (If I run down to try and avoid the blast).

Quicksave just before the event and compile.log from after quitting game after death in 7zip file. (Is that a new thing with the extensions? Didn't get that last time)

Attachments

• SaveAndCompiled.7z
    521 KB · Views: 58
I think that is the point where there is a trap.
You need to find a different path.

If you're NOT supposed to go to the rope bridge, I find it a bit misleading if the walkthrough states:
"Spanish see ship and player and open fire.

Goto Prison Beach. [TRAP]

On prison beach go to rope bridge [TRAP]

Sharpe sends riflemen to shoot guards. (auto)

Remaining guards attack.

Kill guards."

If going to the rope bridge will lead to your death. There is only ONE back entrance to the fort I'm aware of, the one with said rope bridge. The one you use to go for walks with the "duchess". Where Sharp runs up and tells you to follow. And that's where the cannon is and kaboom!...
o,O
Should I give Sharpe the finger and go alone somewhere else I don't know about? That isn't exactly stated in the Walkthrough?

Or do they run up there just BECAUSE I happened to go a bit to far (a few steps only) up?

Just not getting it...

Just to clarify I don't actually go far enough to see the cannon, or even the bridge, just let Sharpe run back to me and mention it and that will lead to my unavoidable death when he sends his men to attack...

Never mind, went back 2 saves and run the longer route to the same place, got another dialogue... Maybe that should be noted so folks don't get stupid as me and not get it... :p Since you actually go to the same place, just take 20 meter longer...

Hope you're not facepalming TOO hard, mind your poor heads... :modding

Last edited:
Must say the Hornblower playthrough has been plagued with various minibugs for me so I gave up there for a while... Sharpe not appearing in Bridgetown after Wellard (Had to reload a save from before the outskirts or the bug persisted) before the Naval HQ, World Map refusing to let me go to 3d at "land ho" at Kingston or anywhere else (Quite common in this storyline, more rare otherwise) Fixed after 3 reloads of World map quicksave (refused normal save only quicksaving possible at that time) etc... Usually when the game refuse to listen to key commands, going to menu and escaping out solves it but not the World Map thing, had to first reload THEN F1-menu to resolve it (after third try).

But I presume all this is known issues that simply happen sometimes, when scripts refuse to fire for different reasons. So won't bug(hurhur) you about that... :)

About the Spanish fort: it is true that the walkthrough fails to mention the two paths, but Sharpe mentions them in his dialog:
There are two ways up to the bridge. We need to take the one where the guards have the least chance of seeing us.
As for other bug: I've been maintaining the "Hornblower" storyline lately, and have been trying to iron out the bugs. The one about the worldmap must be something to do with the main game and is beyond me, but the one about Sharpe in Bridgetown is one I ought to be able to handle. If it happens again, or if something else goes wrong with the story, please quit the game and then post the file "compile.log" - do not start a new game before posting it, or at least copying it to somewhere safe, because starting a new game will overwrite it and lose the information needed to nail down the bug.

That worldmap error sounds strange.
Maybe you can post a save and/or log files from when you got stuck on the worldmap?

Will do. I'll make a habit of copying logs every time I smack into a buggy event. Let the pro's decide what's a bug and what's me being nubby! :rolleyes:
And yes, he does state it, but if you save and quit and 3 real life days pass in between, it's hard to remember what was said purely in passing in a dialogue only. The qt especially is very nondescript (for all quests) and often update very late. So remembering that you should take another route when an npc start telling you to follow after walking 3 steps to far to the side is... Well... Not intuitive. (Most people do not countermand npcs since scripts won't allow it ) Actually you're screwed as soon as you get that comment about them running before you, but no one says so... Kinda' iffy... Hard to know it was just before THEN you did wrong... The NPC's fool you.
(Without that comment I'd guessed myself *as I did anyway but much later* where I did wrong but since they confirmed my actions by telling me to let them run ahead... Well...) :facepalm

I've had a variant of that world map bug all along. It's a thing where talk, moving or just about anything won't work until you press f1 and then escape out. Then the game listens to most commands again. Not always the case though. Sometimes it ONLY refuses talk commands. Sometimes the "spcaebar" command to go from World map to 3d, sometimes (quite often) it simply refuses to let me fire my damn cannons in battle. Fully loaded, perfect range, just refuse to fire the cannons, everything else works but the crew are sudden pacifists. :shrug

Save early save often. And quit and save the log when odd crud happen! *New mantra*:bowOddest bug I have actually, is the "Your save files invade each other storylines" one. In my Hornblower portion, the last 2 saves are exchanged with 2 saves from my Sea Hawk storyline... Kinda weird. If I load the 3:d save, then f1 and look, they're back and I can load my latest save again... That one makes no sense. But then "profiles" don't work for me, I have only "Player" with one section per Storyline. If I try to make a new profile it ignores it and calls it "player" anyhow... *shrug*

And correction: It can also be the last 3 as I just noticed (had to restart since I forgotBandycam and that's gamekilling, So I noticed, first time it was 2 saves, after restart it was 3... But same otherwise, load first save available, then menu and load the returned one)

Last edited:
The bug with Sharpe in Bridgetown is fixed. Download this and put it in "PROGRAM\Storyline\Hornblower\quests", overwriting the "quests_reaction.c" which is already there.

Sharpe starts off that scene at the other end of Bridgetown, and originally stayed there. So you'd talk to Wellard, then he'd start moving towards you and then talk before he was anywhere near you. So I added a line to make Sharpe start moving while you're talking to Wellard, then he'll be nearby and ready for his dialog.

Except that when I was doing things to this storyline, I was still learning the command words of the programming language, and in particular, I didn't know the difference between "LAi_ActorGoToLocator" and "LAi_ActorGoToLocation". All I knew was that there was another line which made Sharpe move, so I copied it and gave it a different destination. And it was the wrong one. Because the difference is that "LAi_ActorGoToLocation" makes the character move to that position and disappear, whereas "LAi_ActorGoToLocator" makes him move to that position and stay there. Sharpe has a long way to go, so I never noticed the problem because by the time I'd finished reading Wellard's dialog, Sharpe was still on his way, then his dialog would start and he never got to the end point and disappeared. But you're not a native English speaker and so probably took longer to read Wellard's lines, so Sharpe did reach the end point and vanished.

So this version of "quests_reaction.c" uses "LAi_ActorGoToLocator" instead, which means Sharpe should now walk to where he needs to be, then stand and wait for you to finish with Wellard, however long you take.

Attachments

• quests_reaction.c
    841.4 KB · Views: 91
Well, actually, I'm more fluent in English than most Brits or Americans. :rolleyes: (Won't even mention Kiwis or Aussies hehe)
Both in reading and writing as well as speech. I read about a book per day in average. Have a problem with reading too fast actually. Books don't last long. I dislike books in Swedish, not that many good Swedish authors and I prefer reading in English, especially if it's the original language. Less lost in translation then, obviously. And my everyday language at home is English.
No I think my problem actually was that I clicked past the dialogue too fast instead. Last try, when it actually worked, I saw him approaching a few seconds after I met Wellard (I purposely did NOT click through the dialogue as fast in case he was just slow, and lo and behold he was there). I reacted to him being all green, I had forgotten that he was a rifleman in greens now... And while talking to Wellard you see the entire street so you can't miss Sharpe approaching, green as he is. At least where I always stand whilst talking to him... :rpirate

But thank you a lot for this @Grey Roger , I will get that bugger in place asap.
Seems I am the numero uno "Oi fellas, somethin's not workin..." guy atm...
Should I even bother with the occasional ctd I get?
I mean the original vanilla game crashed every 5 minutes or so, so don't know how interesting engine crashes are for you guys?
Somehow you made it amazingly stable.:bow

Should I even bother with the occasional ctd I get?
I mean the original vanilla game crashed every 5 minutes or so, so don't know how interesting engine crashes are for you guys?
Somehow you made it amazingly stable.:bow
I suspect the occasional CTD is inevitable, but perhaps post the log files after it happens and maybe someone can figure out how to make them even rarer.

And certainly please continue to report any further problems you encounter with "Hornblower"!

Back