• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Hornblower Storyline Ship Use

- HMS Renown (RN_SotL) captained by Captain James Sawyer - Well, we don't have any other British 74's (and the SotL is 94 guns, anyway).
Maybe a repaint of Le Superbe would work, though...
Here's an interesting coincidence I found when giving the repainted Superbe a class name.
I was researching a bit about the famous Téméraire-class 3rd Rates (like Le Superbe), and noticed that the RN actually copied the design from captured ships.
One of these was the America-class, and it turns out that the real HMS Renown, upon which the fictional ship was based, was one of them.
So in actual fact, we now have, more-or-less, the real HMS Renown in the form of the repainted Superbe. How cool is that? :woot

For those who haven't yet seen it, a screenshot of the new ship is available here.

So we can now replace the RN_SotL with RN_Superbe for this storyline? :woot

At the moment, the HMS Hotspur is using the HMS_Greyhound model, which is a nicely detailed one.

We should probably make some quick changes for the next release, now that we have more ships.

HMS Hotspur- Volage (almost an exact match, as described in the novel, but Volage is a bit sharper underwater, and more, uhh... French.)
Indefatigable- Some other frigate than the poorly-rigged 28-gun being used now. Maybe the upgraded Royal Navy Constitution. They were both rated as 44's.
Lydia- Essex... too small, but the best we've got for the time being. We have a good 36 on hold at the moment, if I remember correctly.

Probably a good idea, particularly using the new RN Constitution as the Indy. It's always nice to showcase some of our very best ships in leading roles.

I second post captain's suggestions ( though admottedly they are all my ships or ships I modified :p) the Essex is a much better fit and closer in size than the old Lydia or the surprise, though even she is too small. the main difference between 32s and 36 of the era was 32s had 24pdr carronades or long 6s on the qd and f'csle, while 36s had 32pdr carronades or long 9s. of course there were usually a few more on 36's but both classes had 26 main deck guns. I must admit that the Volage is very much a sleek french corvette and not a stout english sixth rate, but she is a better fit than the Greyhound. there were plenty of french prizes in the RN at the time though, like the Volage herself. No reason why the Hotspur can't be one of them. Because she was a razee, the Indy has a very distinctive look with her poop deck and sturdy proportions that can't really be matched without building a model of her. The constitution has more guns, but she is probably the closest match.

Back